Project 3 Roughs

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
old_man_pat

Project 3 Roughs

Post by old_man_pat »

These 2 sets of roughs are similar, but have some differences in layout. After looking at a number of GRC department websites, I decided to go with a simple, clean, more modern look. At this point, I favor my 2nd set of roughs, but wonder if a mix of the two (titles for one in place of the other) is better?

If any of you get a chance to offer input, I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Pat
Attachments
Rough 2 Home
Rough 2 Home
Rough 2 Gallery
Rough 2 Gallery
Rough 1 Home
Rough 1 Home
Rough 1 Gallery
Rough 1 Gallery
Patrick Smith
“To find yourself, think for yourself.”
-Socrates

Sierragirlnv

Re: Project 3 Roughs

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Pat,

Lucky I saw your post! haha! yes, you have two similar designs with easy to find navigation and well organized information. I get lost with all of the information on the current website, I get sidetracked easily. I think I like the second layout as well with the modern design. I think I would change the "apply" to "enroll" since they aren't applying to get into TMCC, but that is a small detail. Good luck!

Sierragirlnv

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

I like these a lot! They are very similar, but the differences are definitely significant enough to make you stop and think. It really all comes down to how the information is presented, and which is more consistent and balanced. In my opinion, your second layout does it better, since the little video you embedded into the main body copy is pushed towards the left beneath the drawing, instead of crowded around the text. Plus I like the images aligned across the top, with the navigation set up as a bar above. Great work!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi Pat,

I like the navigation on the top set of roughs because our culture reads left to right, and I like that the first thing I go to after the title are the links. I also like the overall balance of the top-set more; the visual rhythm is very nice. You should submit your website for the ADDY awards. Last year's national winner at TMCC was for a website, and I'm sure Dan would help you get this entered. It's really good!
Dominique Boudinot

hummela

Post by hummela »

I think im leading more towards the second set, more unformed layout with the body copy an the container.
Good job pat.
Alexa Hummel :)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

The differences between these two is subtle.

I prefer your first design. I think it uses contrast better. I like the dark TMCC logo on the white stripe and then the dark stripe with TMCC it. I think that's a really strong look. I like the subtle drop shadow background, it gives a nice sense of depth. The navigation is easy to read and use. The typography works well and there's good use of margins throughout.

I'm not sold on red as the highlight color in your design. Maybe a blue or TMCC's lime green? Also there's some open spaces at the bottom of your homepage layout, above the secondary nav that look a little uneven. You may want to mess with the layout a bit to fill them in some.

I look forward to seeing these become real!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Hi Pat,

I think you should combine the two. I really like the look of the white TMCC logo on the dark background, but I like the overall cleaner layout of the first rough. If you're planning on creating a modern design, I would remove all traces of gradient and beveling from the page itself, as they're something modern websites don't really do anymore. However, the drop shadow around the edge of the design is nice, and separates it from the background, so you should keep that, maybe just not moving out quite as far. The way the images are organized on the first layout's middle area are superior as well, without any borders on them. I think you should remove the other images as they crowd that lower area a bit. I also like the subtle use of color in your design, and I'm wondering if switching it out for TMCC green might make it a little more personalized to our school.
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission