Project #3_Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
recordd

Project #3_Preliminary Critique

Post by recordd »

Hi Everyone!
This is Danielle Record and I'm finally turning in my Project #3 Roughs for Preliminary Critique! For this project we were asked to re-design the TMCC Graphic Communications Program website. There were a few requirements that we had to include: which were the TMCC logo, Graphics Communication page title, & a minimum 5 webpages that included the program overview, instructors bio's, student work, courses, and degree/certificate information. I looked for inspiration right here on the forum and at other colleges graphic communication sites. This is what I came up with! Please leave any ideas, suggestion, comments, etc. Thank you for looking! :-)

Rough#1
I wanted to create something unique, visually appealing, and professional. I decided to use my favorite color blue for my color scheme. I did have a background image of the TMCC sign with a sunset but I felt that it was to cluttered with it. I took it off and I created a fixed solid black background with a transparent content box so that it popped out. I wanted to include my student work gallery on the homepage because I feel every students artwork should be showcased to promote the program (like every students website).

Rough#2
I decided to use a clean white background with an image of TMCC & Reno as my header image. I wanted my title to stand out so I used a unique font and created a branding logo for GRC. I liked the little lizard guy that came up in my search so I decided to use him with the TMCC logo. Since, I chose him I went with the green, white, & black color scheme.
Attachments
Rough #1 Homepage
Rough #1 Homepage
Rough #1 Courses
Rough #1 Courses
Rough #2 Homepage
Rough #2 Homepage
Rough #2 Degrees & Certificates
Rough #2 Degrees & Certificates
Danielle Record

rrodriguez

Re: Project #3_Preliminary Critique

Post by rrodriguez »

Danielle,

I'm drawn to roughs 2 because of the imagery. The type layout for both roughs are laid neat and clean which does give it a professional look. But it's the photo on top from roughs 2 that enticed me more to want to continue reading the page. And like yourself, I'm a big fan of dark blue (if they had a cult for it, I'd definitely join). How would you feel combining elements from roughs 1, like the color scheme, into roughs 2?
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Danielle, I cast my vote for rough 1. It's very clean and different. Rough 2 feels crowded to me. Maybe lighten the background color a bit and add the image in the header from rough 2, just shorten the height. Good start my friend!
PaulaBurris

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi Danielle
I like your rough1 more, but I think the color choice on your rough 2 is better for this project.
Anyway, good job!

Lingling

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Danielle,

I think you have two very different ideas for project three. I like the blue/grey color scheme but I think it is missing some images or element to dress it up just a little, maybe an accent color or something to make it stand out.

Sierragirlnv

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Danielle,
Good job on both your designs.

I like your rough 2 designs more.
I think the layout is very effective.
It looks good with the font and lizard mascot.

Nice Job,
Georgia

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi Danielle,

I think you did a good job with both roughs. I'm leaning towards the top set because I think it's a strong layout, and I like the GRC in the bottom corner, but you might consider adding another color to you color scheme if you decide to go with that design. Nice Work!
Dominique Boudinot

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I enjoyed both designs. Personally I like the rough 1 design.
I like the student work gallery on the homepage. I think it's idea to promote the program.

I think you can make the GRC logo better.

Good start!

Kiwako

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Got a nice little second design going here. The first one is just blah.

The second design is a very clean, easy to follow layout. I like the strong pictographic top bar and that cave painting Flinstone font for the top amuses me. Good call. The navigation is large and easy to follow in a well placed navigation bar. The type is easy to read and I especially like the green drop shadow on your headlines. Nice use of the TMCC gekko as a unifying element. A nice layout.

The biggest problem I have with it is too many fonts. I do like the Flinstone type in the top bar, so that stays. Pick two fonts, one a bold type for navigation, headlines and footer, and the second a much lighter type, for bodycopy. I'd recommend sans-serif typefaces for both. Also, left justify your bodycopy. Don't forget to vertically center your navigation as well, it's a little close to the top of the nav bar right now.

Good work. I want to see what it looks like as a real website.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

schakarun714

Post by schakarun714 »

Most deff liking the second layout better. It looks more like a schools web page than the first one. i like the header and use of color.
Shalie C. Forever Dreaming