preliminary critique of project 3

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
aslychsm

preliminary critique of project 3

Post by aslychsm »

Hi all.

Long time, huh. *sarcasm*

Here are my roughs. Not much to say. I gathered what I learned from project 2 and let that strongly influence my designs. I tried to stay within my comfort levels. The result are some really basic layouts. My focus was on providing clean, legible information in a very focused way.

The first rough will have alternating quotes and photos on each page. The second will be pretty stagnant, with one main content box that holds all the details. I'm thinking of maybe giving the photo in the bottom rough an orange overlay, similar to my green photo in the first design, but I'd like to see where the preference lies first.

Thanks for reading! We're on the final stretch guys! (:

(And hope everyone has/had a wonderful Thanksgiving break!)
Attachments
rough_home_1.jpg
rough_inner_page_1.jpg
rough_home_2.jpg
rough_inner_page_2.jpg
a s h l e y c h i s a m

rrodriguez

Re: preliminary critique of project 3

Post by rrodriguez »

Ashley,

I'm diggin the clean layout. It gives a professional look. I like roughs 1 because the quotes are a nice touch and the photos and navigation buttons make it easy to read, as well as know where you're at within the site. Roughs 2 could also work, its clean and easy to figure out where you're at. But I just think roughs 1 pulls the viewer in with profound quotes that would draw a potential student into the program more. Awesome start
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Ashley! I have to go with rough 1, the layout is clean and works well with the imagery. Rough 2 is nice but the orange container seems like it's too wide. (I'm not crazy about orange, that may have something to do with it) Both layouts are nice and I'm sure that you will make the best choice and rock it!
PaulaBurris

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Ashley!
I really like both of your designs! They are both professional, simplistic, creative color schemes, & include great typography choices, they all go well together! I am going to go with rough #1 though...I love the color scheme they all go well together and also match our college colors perfect! The navigation is easy to find and the layout is organized, as well. I love your idea to put a different quote on each page, a very nice touch! One suggestion that I would make is to make the TMCC Graphic Communications title bigger with maybe some sort of branding logo or image above it. Other than that I cannot wait to see your final site! Great Job!
Danielle Record

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi Ashley!
Good job on both roughs, I like your rough 1 more.

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Ashley,

I like your first layout the quote and I saw you were going to differentiate the pictures, which is was what I was going to suggest. You could play a little with color I feel it needs an accent color, but it a very professional looking site and I think that is important for a school to have.

Sierragirlnv

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Ashley,
Good job with both of your designs.
I think I like the rough 2 designs a little more than roughs 1.

I like the visual layout of this design more than the 1st.
It is more exciting to me with the red and the campus photo.

Nice Job,
Georgia

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi Ashley,

I really like the top set of roughs, but I am a sucker for green and transparency, so I am pretty biased. Aside from the color and effects, I like the layout of the top set more as well. The design is simple yet informative and it has the feel of an education site. If you do go with the bottom set, I would change the color of that left sidebar because it's pretty overwhelming.
Dominique Boudinot

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I like both designs. I like these layouts. It's very clean and professional.
I also like the color and font choices.
Personally, the rough 2 is better than rough 1.

Good job!

Kiwako

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ooooof. Such a nice second design.

Your second design looks like a printed brochure is all the right ways. Great use of full page image backgrounds. Excellent typography on the page title and navigation. The content is easy to see in a white column on the image side. Great use of margin throughout the design as well. And I even like my smiley face!

Move the logo up just a little bit off the bottom. Use a lighter font for your bodycopy, similar to your navigation. Don't be afraid to use different full page background images for different pages. I'm not 100% sold on the bright orange. Maybe try TMCC's lime green?

Excellent work! I can't wait to see these things come alive.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173