Project 3 Roughs

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
justinepaigek

Project 3 Roughs

Post by justinepaigek »

Hey, y'all!

So this was kind of a challenge but this is what I came up with for the GRC website:

The first concept plays off the CMYK color wheel, as it's an important aspect of the printing process and what we have to deal with loads in this program. It might be trite, but I thought it was a fun thing to play with! I chose different typefaces for the GRC Header logo. Also I took the liberty of messing with layer effects on them because hey, we do that here (even though they may come off as tacky in this case but that was the point). I also placed them in an artist's palette thing, because I thought that was fun even though the only time we touch real-life palettes are perhaps in Color Theory. With the expressive typefaces, I went with a simple sans-serif one for the main header as well as the body copy. I also tried justifying the type but Photoshop doesn't let you do that, which is rude, but I digress. I went with the "art" theme further and placed the body copy in a frame, which I see now was a mistake. I struggled trying to come up with a clever yet tasteful container for that body copy, and obviously this isn't the solution. Any feedback on how to improve the tackiness of my design is highly appreciated :)
rough_1a.jpg
rough_1b.jpg
For the second rough, I went the opposite direction in terms of brightness and well, color. For some reason I thought of having a clean, black layout with minimalistic, sans-serif type. (The point of letting the user know which page they're on is that headline would be slightly bolder, which I see doesn't make much difference here. Whoops) I also just used Helvetica and its variations for the entire thing. This started giving me that "Cards of Humanity" vibe, so I went with it and tried figuring out ways of making it more visually interesting, which I failed at because it is quite painfully boring at this point and I'm not sure what imagery to use. Anyway. More feedback is very welcome :)
rough_2a.jpg
rough_2b.jpg
And Lord knows I'm probably gonna scrap these and come up with something completely different because as soon as I finished these I hated them, but like I said, I appreciate any feedback that might make me hate these a little less :)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

rrodriguez

Re: Project 3 Roughs

Post by rrodriguez »

Justine,

I like your concept for roughs 1. The play on printing colors can be quite appealing. The box around the body copy is artistic. I would like to see something similar on the buttons maybe? If you're playing with printing colors, maybe play with printing marks as well, like trim marks or registration marks (those kinda looked like targets from a gun to me). I bet you could come up with some cool stuff. Roughs 2 is dynamic with a black background, and if you continued theme of printing colors on a black background, it may be harder to read …. or not, it really depends how you lay it out. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Justine! I have to go with rough 1, rough 2 just doesn't feel very inviting. The one thing that I would change is to not use centering on the body copy on the courses page. Good luck!
PaulaBurris

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Justine!
Good job of both of your roughs! Both are easy to navigate through and they contain clean & simplistic layouts. I think I am going to go with rough #1, I like the concept of the CMYK color wheel because you are right it is an important part of graphic design and I think the colors go really well with the black and white. To me rough #1 is more inviting than rough #2. I think the white background and color scheme is more eye catching. One thing that I would suggest is to add a Program Overview title to the top like you have class offerings. I can't wait to see your final design!
Danielle Record

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi Justine, I can tell you spent more time on your rough1: ), I like it more than your rough 2. Good job!

Lingling

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Justine,

You can justify type in Photoshop using the paragraph panel here is a link to a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTi69ZMfC-0
I like your colorful rough, you could also use the techniques of cmyk in the layout like adding halftone color spots on your images, or different color palettes for different types of printing.
I think its a good start.

Sierragirlnv

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Justine,
I think both of your designs are good.
I like the black design better because it looks more professional.

I would like to see something to make it more exciting.
Like photos or color like the TMCC green or another color.

Nice Job,
Georgia

old_man_pat

Post by old_man_pat »

Hey Justine, my preference is for rough number 1. I also like the CMYK color scheme, and I find it more personable than your second design. As for your first, I'd be interested in seeing what some pictures and semi-transparent text boxes would do if complemented in a similar color scheme. Nice start. :-)
Patrick Smith
“To find yourself, think for yourself.”
-Socrates

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

I like the bottom set of roughs more because the top set feels a little childish to me, but the bottom feels a little institutional in a suppressing way. Maybe try a different font with the bottom design and play with the type to balance it a little better.
Dominique Boudinot

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I like the rough 1.
The rough 2 is too simple to me.
I think you can improve your body copy. I would align text to the left.

Good start!

Kiwako