Project 2 - roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
rrodriguez

Project 2 - roughs

Post by rrodriguez »

Hey Everyone,

My website is the Shoshone-Paiute Indian Reservation, it's on the boarder of Nevada and Idaho. If you're unfamiliar with Native Tribes websites in Nevada...they're pretty bad. I think it's because most Native Tribes in Nevada don't have the resources for a graphic designer, or even someone to maintain their website. When you click through the shoshonepaiute website one gets lost real quick and you don't know where you're at within the site. Here is their website link: http://shopaitribes.org/spt-15/

My first rough, I chose hot colors, like red/yellow/dark tan. I added a native dancer on the upper left corner to represent native american's regalia (customs they wear when dancing). The background is a photo of the actual reservation. And their home page has some info of where they are located and points of interest one might find interesting. And last but not least, they have a HUGE long list of links for someone to visit. They had more links, but I cut some of them out. They have a lot of links going on that need to be organized in some type of manner. The second rough, inside page...I picked the Cultural Department link and presented the info. I tried to make everything clean and smooth to read. Created an easy navigation system so anyone would know exactly where they are at within the website.

My second rough, I chose cool colors, dark blue mixed with light tan colors. The home page again as a photo of the actual reservation and a dancer. I tried making that long list of links horizontal but it just look too huge and unmanageable. I tried to be a little different with this second rough, but kept some elements the same. The inside page for rough 2, I chose cultural department topic again to preview that layout.

And attached are printscreens of actual homepage and cultural page.

Attachments
homepage.jpg
culturalpage.jpg
grc175_project2_rough1a.jpg
grc175_project2_rough1b.jpg
grc175_project2_rough2a.jpg
grc175_project2_rough2b.jpg
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

paula_b

Re: Project 2 - roughs

Post by paula_b »

Hi Rosa!
Great job on your roughs! They are both well organized and easy to follow. It's very hard to choose because they both are visually appealing. I like the color scheme of the tan rough and the overall design. The images are great and the pages are very well balanced and consistent. The first page of the blue rough is very nice too! I love the way you composed your body copy with the image of the dancer. The inner page feels lacking when comparing it to the other three roughs, but it still works. I might suggest cutting all of the half diamonds out on the outsides of your borders, I think that would really pop it out. What a great start you have here girl!
PaulaBurris

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

You did an amazing job on these! Everything about them is so neat, and visually interesting, as my eyes can't stop moving around the page. One aspect I really enjoy, is how strategically placed all your text is. Even though there is a lot of text, it doesn't overwhelm the viewer because of how you spaced it, and those smaller images are a nice addition too. Your color choices both work really well for the subject of this website, so I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more. I'd say go with your first designs, but maybe swap the little map graphic in the upper right corner? The black background is a little distracting against everything else.
a s h l e y c h i s a m

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Rosa,
I was wondering if there you researched to see what (if any) tribal colors they have? Also if they have any patterns or symbols to represent the actual tribe that you could tie into the design? Like take some beading from the headdress or a necklace and use that as a pattern effect throughout the design?
It looks like it has a lot of information and the organization and hierarchy of the information would be key to making the website successful.
Great start!

Sierragirlnv

hummela

Post by hummela »

I am really like the first set you did. I like the warmer earth colors for Native Americans i think it is working well, you did make the site more easier to read and i like how you brought the duck valley up that is more important.. i like it good job.
Alexa Hummel :)

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Rosa!
Wow! You did an awesome job on these! :) I love both of them! They are both visually appealing, organized, easy to navigate through, & well balanced. If I had to pick, I think it would be for rough #1 because I really like the color scheme, images, and the simplistic layout of your content. The points of interest box and navigation standouts so it is easy to spot where to go. I love the image you chose it looks like he is going to dance right at you. One suggestion that I have is to maybe remove or replace the diamond border with blue & white Indian beading or feathers would look good too. I feel it is taking all the attention away from your great design and content. I can't wait to see your final design!
Danielle Record

mlauc

Post by mlauc »

Hi Rosa,

I really like the re-design of the site. It looks much more professional and organized. Your font choices are a huge improvement, (Shelley script, really?)
I'm leaning toward the composition of the second rough but I really like the colors of the first. I would also consider re-designing their logo— it's very hard to read when it's reduced.

Nice work!
Matthew

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Rosa,
I really like your designs, they both look better than their website.
I think that I like the blue design more, but I like blue so might be bias!
So roughs 2 get my vote.

I like the photos you used and how you blurred the edges of the man dancing.
I think the patterned border looks good and goes with the logo.
The photo on the second looks good and the color goes with the pattern and logo.
I don’t normally like right-sided nav bars but it goes good with this composition and is easy to find.

I would increase the size of the font everywhere as everything seems small in the text info area and the navi bars.
I think you could find a better font for the Name/title area that is a little more characteristic.

Other than that its looks great!
Much more organized and manageable than their website.
Good job!
Georgia

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi Rosa,

Both your concepts are really strong. I love the way you incorporated the imagery; it's my favorite aspect of both designs. I also think both color schemes work. If I had to change something, I think I would play with the placement of the navigation a little, just to see if you could create a slightly stronger layout, but you are so far ahead of the original design that I don't think it's completely necessary especially since what you have is already clear and concise.
Dominique Boudinot

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

These are both really good. I do like the second better. I think its more balance and I love the blue. The image of the Shoshone guy on the first page is very cool. The information is organized very well and the imagery is intriguing.

Nice work!

Wendy