Project 2 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
justinepaigek

Project 2 Prelim

Post by justinepaigek »

Hi, all! The name's Justine :) For Project 2 we were meant to find a horribly designed website and make it less horrible. I was craving cupcakes when I set out to do my research, so somehow I stumbled upon this piece of work called http://www.roundaboutsleeves.com/ and let me tell you, it is something else. This website sells cupcake sleeves that clothe "naked cupcakes." The imagery used and some of the slogans had me snorting when I first came across them. Hopefully my rough concepts are a step up from this flash-animated, purpley neon train-wreck. (I wanted to make it all cutesy just because I felt like something like this has so much potential!)

The first concept I kind of favor a little more in terms of composition and design. I came up with a little logo which I felt captured the idea of a "roundabout" cupcake sleeve. I did a ribbon-style banner at the top which would house the navigation, and then while on an actual page with the product, a container to the left would appear with all the categories divided and simplified as opposed to the website's original list. I plan on doing drop-down menus, just because I think it will make things cleaner and nicer and to be honest, because everyone likes them (including myself). Also, the corners would be rounded and the main container would be surrounded by a flurry of wee polka dots. I think this concept might do a better job of selling people re-usable cupcake sleeves, don't you? :D
proj2_rough_1a.jpeg
proj2_rough_1b.jpeg

The second concept I went with the idea of more of a portrait-oriented layout. I played with the ribbon idea further, coming off the cupcake at the top to form the banner that will hold the navigation. Similar concept, but everything's more vertical, leaving more space for the product in the themes that carry more designs.
proj2_rough_2a.jpeg
proj2_rough_2b.jpeg
(Btw I think I forgot to mention I'll go with pretty soft, pastel-y colors on these. Light pink, lavender, cream, or maybe I'll play around with a cooler color scheme of powdery blue. Just to keep things extra sweet)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

aslychsm

Re: Project 2 Prelim

Post by aslychsm »

Aw poop, now I really want a cupcake! Both of these roughs look good to me! I can already picture them with some soft, creamy colors, paired with a nice decorative typeface. I'm also a big fan of the banner-type navigation bar, it really suits the whole feel of the design, rounded edges and all. Slap on some yummy looking cupcake photos, with their nifty little sleeves, and I really can't see how it could go wrong! I'm with you on the first rough, I think it has a nice flow. Don't know what else I can suggest, I think this website is in good hands.
a s h l e y c h i s a m

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Justine!
Yummmy...Cupcakes! Nice job on both of your roughs! :) You are a great artist! I love your idea for both logos, it goes well with the name and with the kind of cupcakes that they are selling, nice touch. I agree with you about the pastel color scheme and to include drop menus in the navigation. I think the colors would go well with the cupcake theme. The drop down menus on your navigation links would definitely organize the different categories/cupcake themes for easier navigation and cleaner layout. I like rough #2 because I think the header title and navigation logo all in one like that flows well together and it adds a unique touch to the website and to the product. It is visually appealing and catches your eye right away. One suggestion that I would make is to include contact information, maybe quick links, and/or copyright/designed by in your footer. I feel it would balance out the page a little more...I think it is to blank down there, otherwise awesome job! :-)
Danielle Record

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

I like the logo and composition of rough 2. Seems to have anice flow.
PaulaBurris

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Justine,
I think you have a good concept going with the second layout. I also like the logo design on your first layout. I think it would definitely carry better with the organizational style you have going. I was wondering what type and color scheme you have in mind. I think that will be integral to the design. Great start.

Sierragirlnv

georgia_novotny

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hi Justine,
Wow… had to do cupcakes… now I’m craving one! Lol :)
Yes, that website is pretty bad. Good find.

Both of the designs look good.
I can’t wait to see the colors you pick to make it look delicious!

I am leaning towards “proj2_ rough_2” designs based on that logo.
I really like the cupcake with the banner coming off it.
I like the layout of pictures and the navigation bar.

I cant critique it too much as there are no fonts, no photos, no color, etc.
I like what you have going so far and cant wait to see more.
Georgia

rrodriguez

Post by rrodriguez »

Justine, I really like your layout showing the buttons on the top center and cupcake logo above. I think show casing different cupcakes and their styles would be the best. Who knew there were so many different ideas for a cupcake? You can have a lot of fun with colors, fonts and layout, can’t wait to see the final results.
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

I really like the top one. The ribbon as the navigation bar is very clever. I think reusable round cover things is a great idea. I hope you keep the picture of the lady on her homepage. jk. looking forward to seeing your final design.

wendy

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi Justine,

I think both designs would work because both layouts are very clean, which your layouts, always are. You sold me on the first set because of the mention of polka dots, but honestly both layouts work and both logos are really creative. If you are going to use a script font I would just make sure to keep it legible; a nice serif would probably work instead. I can't wait to see the final with your pretty pastel color scheme! Good Luck and Good Job!
Dominique Boudinot

hummela

Post by hummela »

cupcakes, yummy. I like your banner ideal that is cool, i like the second layout more using the cupcake and banner together is a cool ideal.. nice roughs
Alexa Hummel :)