Project 1 Final Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
dboudinot

Project 1 Final Critique

Post by dboudinot »

Hi everyone,
I’m Dominique Boudinot, and this is final critique for project 1, GRC 175. For this project, we had to design a web page that showed our personal design tastes and included criteria like our name, future projects and resources buttons, email address, class title with TMCC, and a little about ourselves.

For my final design, I stuck with my high contrast rough because I still really like the bold black and white, but I switched to cleaner font choices and made my body copy more legible. I also tightened the alignment between page elements.

These are my helpful links.
This website is helpful because it goes step by step from getting a domain name to designing to testing.
http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingsta ... site.shtml

This website is helpful and inspiring because it has tutorials from Flash to Dreamweaver, and it has a lot of different examples of styles and colors for web pages. Yay for free resources button!
http://www.entheosweb.com/website_design/default.asp

These are the inspirational links I discussed last post.
http://interestingenergyfacts.blogspot. ... facts.html

http://laurabarnard.co.uk/
Attachments
project1_final_db.jpg
Dominique Boudinot

lingling_chen

Re: Project 1 Final Critique

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi, Dominique Boudinot,
your home page is black and white, concise style, and meet the requirements, nice job: )

Lingling

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Dominique!

I like the changes that you have made. The change of font is great on the body copy. I love your drawing for the background. What about using a gradient instead of the box, giving a fade to white on the bottom. Aside from a typo on the word designer, it looks nice!
PaulaBurris

rrodriguez

Post by rrodriguez »

Dominique Boudinot…I like the artwork in the background. Do the finger positions have a particular meaning? The drawings have a rhythmic flow going. Black & white is cool also. If I had to pick one suggestion it would be to make your name a little smaller and let your artwork dominate the page more. And also make your paragraph smaller as well. You are covering up that awesome illustration. Maybe add a little box off to the left or right with paragraph in it. But other than that, it's looking very cool.
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

Dominique,
I like the illustrations and can't wait to see some of your animations. I like that you chose two different contrasting fonts, but I would use the bold font for the buttons/links to your sections. Overall very nice site =)
-wendy

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Dominique-

I like your decision to maintain a b/w/greyscale color scheme. Your background image is cool, but it gets a little lost behind your name and "about me" which is just a little overbearing. What I would do is probably choose a typeface that's a little lighter-stroked for the "about me," because it catches my eye instead of the information below, which is probably more important. Or perhaps even dialing down the size of it just a bit might help. Also, since that typeface is already pretty expressive, maybe you would consider choosing a non-italicized typeface for all your other text, to ease legibility :) (Perhaps there's a thin version of the one used for your title text?)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Dominique,
I love that you used your drawing as your background and it looks great with the black & white color scheme. The different fonts that you used go well together. If I was to make a suggestion I would say to maybe make your about me content, title, and white box a little smaller to show off more of your drawing. Great job! :)
Danielle Record

mlauc

Post by mlauc »

Dominique,
The hand gesture image in the background is very interesting and leads me to wonder what it symbolizes. "About me" could be a little smaller — I think it steals some of the thunder from your name.
Matthew

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Firstly, I really like that your background was physically drawn by you, that takes a lot of skill to do and make successful. In addition to that, it's an awesome illustration! I'm sort of torn between whether I really like how you made it black/white/gray, or if it would have been better with some kind of color. Regardless though, I think this came out great. My suggestion is to maybe make the entire 'about me' section a bit smaller, and then center it to create more unity and flow.
a s h l e y c h i s a m

Deth_Sines

Post by Deth_Sines »

Hey dboudinot-

First of all, great job and and excellent work. I would absolutely agree with what everybody else has stated above!

I would suggest to not use the extremes of black and white, just considering your amazing background image is in grayscale or even a slight sepia tone. Use darker grays and then extremely light grays as your black and whites. Also, choosing some typography that reads more "humanist" like Omnes Pro, considering your background image again, and even a single font family with multiple weights will give you a lot of flexibility to accomplish all of that. Again, good stuff!

http://www.1001fonts.com/humanist-fonts.html