Project #3 Preliminary Critique REVISIED

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
nunezm

Project #3 Preliminary Critique REVISIED

Post by nunezm »

Hi Everybody,
Here are both of my roughs for project #3. I decide to redo my roughs. After completing the project #2 I want to do something different to this last project and mess around with more images and the tools in Photoshop for example opacity etc.

Looking at the official Graphic Communications Department website there is a lot of stuff messing. For example, there is a lot of text and not that many images maybe one or two. And in my opinion images give a website a good visual look. My goal is for my roughs is have more images the express the Graphic Communications Department and show what Graphic Communications is all about.

There is my first set of roughs:
I used a Mac computer to represent the computers used in the class rooms. I also used a gray gradient for the background to make the computer pop out more. And finally, I used the simply the things that most graphic designer use to deign their ideas and make them come to life for example markers, book to get information. These kinds of the materials are usually in front of the computer. I feel like there should be some kind of background image on the computer since the screen is all black not sure what kind of image to use. any ideas?
Home page
Home page
Content page
Content page
There is my second set of roughs:
For these layouts I used a black ground to show case the images used and the text. For the footer I used a picture of color pencils. Using a opacity to make the image blend onto the background.
home page
home page
Content page
Content page

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Last edited by nunezm on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maria Nunez

mawpe

Re: Project #3 Preliminary Critique

Post by mawpe »

Hi Maria, I like your second design better with the images of the graduates and the colored pencils. just make sure you clean up the TMCC logo, it looks rough around the edges
Mark Pederson

I'mNicole

Re: Project #3 Preliminary Critique

Post by I'mNicole »

Heya Maria.

I'm a total sucker for using a computer screen as a container, and you did a great job incorporating that on your first design. The TMCC logo as focal point is nice too. I really do like your ideas of GC (design, creativity, etc.) but I think the way you've put those words into the design could definitely be improved. They just feel kind of slapped on with no real though, so if you really want to have them be part of the design, try to really blend them into the design. You also have some problems with your text lining up, but that'll probably be fixed when you transfer it to HTML.

I think your second design is probably the stronger one right now. You've picked some great pictures in your header and footer. You're having some similar alignment problems, and I think it'd definitely help to have a header background that stretches the entire length, versus that tacky seam in the middle. And just FYI, I think you uploaded your inner page instead of your homepage, because I'm seeing the exact same screenshot on both.
"The world is full of ignorant people who don't know what you have just found out." - Unknown

unrepentant nerd/bookworm/geek,
Nicole Hicks

re8ecca

Re: Project #3 Preliminary Critique REVISIED

Post by re8ecca »

Hi Maria - I find the desktop idea charming, but it will take some work. You need to get the images on the desk to match the perspective more, and I'd try stretching the monitor out to give you more room for content.
Rebecca Baumann
rebecca.dsb@gmail.com

Juan Vazquez Lopez

Post by Juan Vazquez Lopez »

Hello Maria,
The first layout looks more interesting to me, I like the idea of the computer although if you want to work on it you need to improve it just in order to make it better looking. I mean, perhaps make the computer bigger, and work in you navigation bar. What about if you do something like a software (photoshop, indesign, etc) and do your navigation bar like the tool bar of whatever software?
Juan Vazquez Lopez

donnalouwho

Post by donnalouwho »

HI there!

Nice roughs, you did a great job on both! I think I like the first set best, though. I do agree with Juan, I think maybe the computer screen would be more prominent larger scale. Great start! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Donna Harn

mel_nunez

Post by mel_nunez »

hey Maria I'm going towards the first concept. I think the computer expresses what the grc program is about. although i would agree with other class mates about the images on the desk. Make the look like they real on the desk!! that would look cool! :roll:
Jose nunez

Justin Hubert

Post by Justin Hubert »

I think I am leaning toward the top one because I like your illustration better than the photo on the second one.
Justin Hubert

DustDjinn

Post by DustDjinn »

I enjoy your second layout. the pencils are perfect and I enjoy the smoothness of the site itself.
Dustin Hill

jennybreitrick

Post by jennybreitrick »

Wow! You really did awesome on this project! Both layouts are just amazing! The first layout stands out more to me because of the cleverness to it. No one else did quite what you did and that makes it very original! If you go for the first layout, I would see if you can pump the imagery up bigger! And where you put the TMCC and GRC heading, I would condense it a bit and let your computer screen convey that information. Fantastic job!
jen
jenny breitrick