HELP! Please!

Got a question for your instructor or classmates? Found a neat technique you want to share? Post 'em here.
donnalouwho

HELP! Please!

Post by donnalouwho »

i just realized I have named my html files like this:

index.html
index_contact_us.html
index_about_us.html
index_our_customers.html

etc... is having the 'index' before every page on the file going to mess it up when I try to put it on the server? if so, is there (please say yes) an easy and safe way to rename all except the main index.html page? I understand I need that page as it is the main page which will open and I didn't even think about it until now that the others might confuse everything! please help! :o
Donna Harn

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: HELP! Please!

Post by Instructor »

An interesting question. It *shouldn't* cause any difficulties. As long as your homepage is called "index", it shouldn't matter what the other files are called.

If you'd like to change the names of the files without busting any links, it's actually pretty straightforward. Once you establish your site root in Dreamweaver, go to the "Files" palette in your lower right and single click on any of the files you want to rename. That should make their filename editable. Simply type in the new file name and when Dreamweaver pops up a message asking if you want to relink everything, say yes. Pop open your files in a browser and check to make sure everything works. You might only need to do a fix or two, but usually Dreamweaver takes care of any issues.

WARNING: Do this ONLY in Dreamweaver in a site root. If you do it in your regular File window on the desktop it will break everything.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173