Preliminary Critique 1

Got a question for your instructor or classmates? Found a neat technique you want to share? Post 'em here.
Lundholm

Preliminary Critique 1

Post by Lundholm »

Everyone ready for preliminary critique for project 1 Monday?
I'm not. What has to be done for preliminary? Just the thumbnails and the two photoshop comps?

I'm behind where I wanted to be... I'm not behind in the class though. I just wanted to be able to say I'm ready for preliminary critique two days after our first project was handed out. But the artists and designers in the class know that's not gonna happen LOL.
- Nathan Lundholm

Lundholm

Re: Preliminary Critique 1

Post by Lundholm »

For the instructor: Did you develop this forum software yourself? I took the PHP class and the SQL class and got A's in both so things like developing web-based software is my specialty. If you're paying by the month for some charge-by-month forum software, let me make you one for free... no ads, no nothing, extra resume material for me. But not until winter break because I'd rather focus on my classes until then.
- Nathan Lundholm

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Whoa there, hoss. You're a week ahead. :) The preliminary critique is not until Monday the 19th so you can relax, breathe easy, and take your time on the project.

For the critique itself, I'm looking for two tight roughs/wireframes to show the class for feedback. I don't need to see your thumbnails at this point (you'll turn 'em in on the final due date). I don't care how you output your roughs, whether it be hand rendered or with the software of your choice. All I care about is that the roughs effectively communicate the design to the class and I so you can get some good feedback.

As for the forum, it's a bog standard phpBB install on the grc175.com server. My host offers one touch installs so it was very painless. The Style is a standard download that I've tweaked slightly for the class and may tweak further. I R fun learning how to be an admin. We'll see how far I go as I get drunk on the godlike power I have in this little postage stamp.

After the semester I may take you up on the custom forums offer depending on how I feel about phpBB at the end of things. The company I work for is looking for freelance programmers (we don't have quite enough work for an in-house guy but plenty to keep freelancers busy) and we should have some interesting projects next spring. Bring a business card by next class and I'll give you a ring after the semester when it isn't some sort of ethics violation to employ a student. :D Seriously, that was an example they put us through during orientation before the semester ...
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

I will bring a business card when I get one designed. It won't be by next class but it'll be sometime during the semester.
My project list: A) Design logo B) Get logo rubber stamp made at Office Depot C) Get business cards made D) Redesign website. But now that I learned how to etch I can make a mold so I can make my own rubber stamp if I can learn how to melt rubber into the mold. I'm sure there's an easier way but I don't know how professionals make them. That's a different major :)
- Nathan Lundholm