MTA.ME

Free discussion of anything not related to web design/development. Have fun. Remember: Play nice!
Instructor
Site Admin

MTA.ME

Post by Instructor »

Another little bit of coolness. It's a musical instrument application that takes live data from the NYC subway system and plots it in a browser window. Every time one train goes over another's line, it plays a tone. Very soothing, in a discordant kind of way.

http://www.mta.me/

Here's it's explanation page.

http://blog.chenalexander.com/2011/conductor-mta/
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Lundholm

Re: MTA.ME

Post by Lundholm »

Just shows how anything in life can be converted to music.
Let's do one for every time a tourist puts their hand on one of the stars on the sidewalk in Hollywood (each star being a different note, like a giant piano keyboard). Only let's make it work in real-time.
We'll install sensors and everything.

LOL
- Nathan Lundholm

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Lundholm wrote:Just shows how anything in life can be converted to music.
Let's do one for every time a tourist puts their hand on one of the stars on the sidewalk in Hollywood (each star being a different note, like a giant piano keyboard). Only let's make it work in real-time.
We'll install sensors and everything.

LOL
Heh. Like the piano scene from "Big", but over the course of several city blocks! Meesa like.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

deni

Post by deni »

Michael

I was poking around the forum and found this post - so cool. Thanks Michael for sharing this link, I love the sounds!

Denise

phabegger

Post by phabegger »

This is way cool ... I like the intersecting plucking. It's so mesmerizing to watch.
I hope we can learn how to program something similar; or is it an attachment??
I don't know; probably should take a web design class.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

phabegger wrote:This is way cool ... I like the intersecting plucking. It's so mesmerizing to watch.
I hope we can learn how to program something similar; or is it an attachment??
I don't know; probably should take a web design class.
There's a fascinating explanation posted by the guy:

http://blog.chenalexander.com/2011/conductor-mta/

Basically this is a computer program (application) that's pulling live train scheduling and movement data from the New York subway system. It the routes the trains around each other. Every time two lines intersect, the later train plucks the earlier train's "string". A great piece of abstract art!