Programming Resources

Resources to help you design and build better websites. Post any interesting design or programming links and articles you come across. Your instructor and fellow students will thank you.
Instructor
Site Admin

Programming Resources

Post by Instructor »

Videos

Lynda.com - The best design/development video tutorials website on the internet, period. Whether it's Dreamweaver, Photoshop, CSS or HTML, Lynda's got you covered. Many of the videos are free as well. If you have a Washoe County Library card, these incredible tutorials are yours for free!

HTML5

HTML5 Basics - A good overview of HTML 5. Covers terminology, syntax, and vocabulary. Start here to get a good foundation. Highly recommended!

HTML5 for Beginners - A detailed summary with some excellent tutorials on the basics of HTML 5

Create a Website With HTML5 - Step by step, how to build a website using basic HTML5.

HTML5 and CSS Web Design - A great series on the basics of HTML5 and CSS as well as setting up a root folder and some other Dreamweaver basics.

CSS3

CSS3 Basics - A beginning overview of CSS3. Covers terminology, syntax, and vocabulary. Start here to get a good foundation. Highly recommended!

Introduction to CSS3 - A good group of tutorials on CSS3 and how to use it in your HTML document.

CSS3 for Beginners - A nice look at the basics of CSS3

jQuery and Javascript

JavaScript & jQuery Basics - The last of the "big three" programming languages you'll need to know. This video will get you started with JavaScript and it's easy to use framework jQuery. Highly recommended!

jQuery Tutorial for Beginners - A really nice, thorough coverage of the fundamentals of jQuery. Good stuff.

Javascript Fundamentals - Breaking down Javascript so it's much easier to grasp. Have fun learning the basics of this really weird programming language.

Web Links

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) - The motherload. The World Wide Web Consortium is the keeper of the web standards, HTML5, CSS3, XML, and other critical bits to web design. Any changes to these specs will be found here. A great selection of tutorials as well.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials - The best collection of web based markup tutorials on the internet, bar none. XHTML, HTML5, CSS, Javascript; you name it, this place has a tutorial for it.

Impressive Webs - A great collection of web programming and design articles and tutorials.

Building an HTML5 / CSS3 webpage - Tuts+ explains the construction of and HTML5/CSS3 webpage.

HTML5

HTML5 Tutorial - If you want to learn HTML5, start here. Simply the best tutorial on the internet.

HTML5 Structural Tags - A list and definition of all the structural tags in HTML 5.

HTML 5 Tutorial - One of the best collections of HTML5 articles and tutorials on the net.

28 HTML5 Features, Tips, and Techniques you Must Know - A great intro to some of what HTML 5 can do.

XHTML

HTML Dog - A great website for learning the fundamentals of XHTML. Getting a little outdated now. We're now up to HTML5.

CSS3

CSS3 Tutorial - The starting point for learning CSS3 on the web. Everything else builds on this.

CSS3 Tutorials - One of the best collections of CSS3 how-tos on the internet.

CSS3 Info - Samples of various CSS3 tags and what they do.

Web Typography- A great technical breakdown of the programmatic "hows" of typography on the web.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Ravana

Re: Programming Resources

Post by Ravana »

To add to this....

http://diveintohtml5.org/: I bought this as a physical book before I realized it was on the web. It's a fantastic reference for HTML5 for those of us already familiar with HTML 4 / XHTML 1.

http://stackoverflow.com/: If I have a "can I do this" or "how do I do this" sort of question and hit up google for the answer, most of the time a question/article on Stack Overflow is where I find the answer, be it PHP, JS, or whatever (I even found a bit of help for applescript the one time I needed it) it's a great resource.
This post has been brought to you by the letter X, the number 5, and Larry Rubald.
"It's irony at a base level, but I like it." ~Bill Hicks

R3YNO

Re: Programming Resources

Post by R3YNO »

The current version of Firefox has some pretty good inspection tools. If you hit ctrl+shift+i (sorry don't have a mac so I assume its similar to that shortcut) also you can click on the 3D button to get a good look at how your CSS containers are placed.