Preliminary Critique Project 3

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Olivia_haltom

Preliminary Critique Project 3

Post by Olivia_haltom »

Hello! Heres the two ideas and color pallets I went with so far!
Attachments
web_yale02_png.png
web_yale02_png.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 83 times
web_yale01_png.png
web_yale01_png.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 83 times
moblie_yale01_png.png
mobile_yale02_png.png

EleanorVanEve

Re: Preliminary Critique Project 3

Post by EleanorVanEve »

I almost had a panic attack because Ben Anderson had also done this webpage, and I almost thought the assignment was to redo the Yale School of Art site, which I did not do... I had to double check the assignment haha. Needless to say, your concepts are really good and definitely better than the original website. I would maybe go with the more yellow design simply because it reminds me of a yellow legal pad. Great choice of fonts too!
Eleanor Van Evera

troutbelli

Post by troutbelli »

As much as I prefer the pink version, I think the yellow one is the one to go with. For Yale, the yellow one looks more professional. Not that they care! haha
I do like how the bulletin board pops in the pink version. It really pops out. Your font choice is a lot of fun. Nice job
Christine Lopez

Because of Me...

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Aw. I would have liked to have seen an inner page for each design. :( That being said, these are two quite good designs. I like that your brain took one look at that horrendous Yale page and went, "This is a mess! Let's take all that mess and just slap it on a hall bulletin board." And it works! I nominally prefer your pale pink one with the centered Yale logo, but it's a near run thing.

I like how you build organization out of the chaos. Your has the same everything everywhere feeling, but it's organized into three easy even columns with soem rough edges to make it look a little more haphazard than it actually is. Your colors do a great job evoking both a bulletin board and an institutional hallway. It's noisy without being loud, like a crowd of students walking through a hall. I have no trouble finding anything in your organized chaos either. You great sense of contrast, both in terms of colors and in terms of sizes works well here. For all of it's jitteriness, there's good margin here. This is a crowded design but nothing feels hemmed in or crushed. Everything has a little pocket to breathe in. Great type choices as well. They "feel" very Yale.

I'd be tempted to make the "Upcoming" and the "Happening at SOA" a similar width. Like you do on your yellow one. Keep building that sense of organization in this chaos.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

EleanorVanEve wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:13 pm I almost had a panic attack because Ben Anderson had also done this webpage, and I almost thought the assignment was to redo the Yale School of Art site, which I did not do... I had to double check the assignment haha. Needless to say, your concepts are really good and definitely better than the original website. I would maybe go with the more yellow design simply because it reminds me of a yellow legal pad. Great choice of fonts too!
Nah! I'm not that much of a stick in the mud. I just allow students to do websites even when other students pick the same site. I find it fun seeing all the different approaches to the same content. But I wouldn't force you all to redesign the same website. I like it when you come up with new and awful stinkbombs for us all to look at.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Laura

Post by Laura »

Olivia-you did fantastic, I love these! It is hard to pick but I think my favorite is the yellow one. I really loved how you organized everything and the design elements bring everything together. The fonts look great, the colors and how you placed titles and words. Nice job!
~Laura Nelson~

Benjamin_Anderson

Post by Benjamin_Anderson »

Hi,

I did the same website, but your designs look amazing! I enjoy see other designs, it helps get the creative thoughts moving. The yellow design looks really nice. You did a great job. I love your different take on it.

Benjamin Anderson

Verenisse

Post by Verenisse »

Hi Olivia,
Wow! These designs are awesome, these are really thought out and everything is pretty nice in terms of layout. I am leaning towards the yellow design since it is slightly more easier to read. Overall great job. :D
~Verenisse Ramirez[/i][/b]

Aub

Post by Aub »

Wow!! it looks amazing The background colors fit really nicely with all your foreground UI and it all fits to theme!
Aubrey Delos Reyes

seungwoo lee

Post by seungwoo lee »

Hello Olivia,

Your web design is so cool! The color of the background is pretty and the layouts is well organized, so it's comfortable to see. I think the types are good because they use various styles. I also think it's good because it feels like a university website. I think it would have been nice if you used photos.