Project 1 prelim.

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
EleanorVanEve

Project 1 prelim.

Post by EleanorVanEve »

It was difficult for me to pick a design style to stick with. I want my webpage to look clean but also be fun and colorful. I chose two different styles. The first one is a little more playful. I made the strawberries and rainbow myself in Illustrator. I am still learning how to use the pen tool. As I'm learning how to use Illustrator, I want to learn how to incorporate my own illustrations on my web page. For my second design, I went a little more formal. I like the floral design. Like I said, I'm still learning the pen tool in Illustrator, so I couldn't get the floral design that I wanted. Despite being critical of AI, I decided to try out the AI generative fill, and typed in "iris leaves" for the prompt and immediately got a really nice background and decided to play with that. So full disclosure, the background for design 2 is made with AI.

The first website that inspired me was https://stokto.com/. I really like this persons art. I like how they have their own "doodles" throughout the website and immediately I know what their art style and if I like it (and I do!).

The second website that inspired me was https://www.hookedbyrobin.com/. I like how simple the layout is, but what I like most is how she has the Website name "Hooked by Robin" created by yarn and a crochet hook.
Attachments
Rough 2 Mobile
Rough 2 Mobile
Rough 2 Web
Rough 2 Web
Rough 1 Mobile
Rough 1 Mobile
Rough 1 Web
Rough 1 Web
Eleanor Van Evera

troutbelli

Re: Project 1 prelim.

Post by troutbelli »

Eleanor,

I really enjoyed your designs. I think with what you have created on your strawberry site, you could have built those botanical leaves. You could maybe even place them in the background with like 8% opacity and used the pen tool to trace. Frankly I'm a little surprised that I even know you can do that. Your ideas are really nice and clear what you're conveying.

Cheers!
Chris
Christine Lopez

Because of Me...

Laura

Post by Laura »

Super fun designs! The leaves, strawberries and the rainbow are fantastic. I really like the colors of the first one. For that one, I would place that logo entirely on the leaves or off them completely. I also feel you can do something fun and creative with the buttons(projects, resources, etc). For the second, all the dotted borders are a little distracting, maybe just using one or two..and I would not use the green logo. Love the rainbow and strawberries.
~Laura Nelson~

sothgara

Post by sothgara »

Hello Eleanor,

Both of your designs tell such a different tale. I love the one with your black cat best, but I too have a black cat and will always go for the meow. The placement of everything is solid. For the desktop view maybe make each link be its own shape, and visually look like a button? And a hamburger menu for the mobile view will always free up space for other things on the smaller screen size. The colors are so fun, it really is hard to make a call on which to choose over the other.
- sara matts

SandraT

Post by SandraT »

Hello Eleanor,

I love the color of the second design and the strawberries and rainbow fit well there. If you are going to use the dotted lines, I would suggest using them in both designs for continuity.
Sandra Torres

Ashton_H

Post by Ashton_H »

I really like the second design, it looks really cool I love the aesthetic. I like the navigation, I think that your name should be a lot bigger, maybe color your name and shape it to be the rainbow? Other than that I really like the dotted borders and it looks really good!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

As fun as your Rough 1s are, I like your Art Nouveau Rough 2s, Eleanor. It has such a beautiful timeless look.

Your photo frame is great. I feel like I'm looking through a peephole on my door at your cat who is insistently knocking to be let in. And the floral background looks great, no matter how AI generated (*shivver*) it is. Try tracing it in Illustrator to practice your pen tool skills. The colors are beautiful as well. They really harken back top the 1930s. Such great atmosphere in this thing. I like how all of the content outside of the door peephole photo frame looks like framed prints/paintings on a wall. A neat effect. Your navigation is easy to see and presumably use, as well.

I'd recommend aligning your bodycopy to the to the left rather than to the center. Makes it easier to read. Make sure your margins are similar in all edges on your bodycopy container and your link containers. The bodycopy is a little closer to the bottom and the links area little closer to the top. Make sure they're as equidistant as possible in their respective boxes. Your text links don't have to be blue, you can make them whatever color you like.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Aub

Post by Aub »

Hello! I love the first design, I think its very eye catching to me and it looks super unique with the type of colors you went for. I personally would make the text boxes a little bigger for that one.
Aubrey Delos Reyes

Olivia_haltom

Post by Olivia_haltom »

Hello! I really enjoyed your colorful, rainbow, layout, out of the two. The typefaces you chose also really represented a fun whimsical vibe. In my opinion. Great job!

Verenisse

Post by Verenisse »

Hi Eleanor,
Cool designs you have really nice. I feel like you could have pushed a bit more with the design and placement of the projects links on your first design. And I really like the theme you have and your kitty is so cute. The second design is also amazing, I think you can come up with a composition similar to the mobile and recreate it for the computer size, I like the stitching effect it has around the box, and I think you can really expand more on that design. Overall great job, can’t wait to see. :D
~Verenisse Ramirez[/i][/b]