Project 1 preliminary

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
lakelyn_dean

Project 1 preliminary

Post by lakelyn_dean »

Hey, my name is Lakelyn. For my two designs, I wanted to go pretty simple but also include things that represent my likes such as green, plants, and space. I used 2 different typefaces that I felt went well with each theme. I also wanted to add in some dimension by using shapes and a gradient. I believe these both solve project one by including everything required like titles and space for projects, etc. as well as creatively representing me. I used Illustrator to produce them.

My first link inspires me because it included a variety of styles, color palettes, and layouts to look at and get ideas from:
https://colorlib.com/wp/artist-portfolio-websites/

My second link I found was a fun and creative website for an artists portfolio that I thought was unique and included some cool aspects:
https://www.byalicelee.com/
Attachments
project01_roughs_mobile.jpg
project01_roughs.jpg
Lakelyn Dean <3

Laura

Re: Project 1 preliminary

Post by Laura »

The green/foliage one is beautiful and I like the design. I like the glow that you capture on the left side. Do you want the class name to be the most important, bigger than your name? Good job :)
~Laura Nelson~

troutbelli

Post by troutbelli »

Lakelyn,

Really great designs. I like the green one a lot. It really has a lot of depth and possibilities. Don't be afraid to make your name pop out there. I had to look for it.
On the darker one I had to really look to see the design, so maybe you can add a little more light into the green? Just a thought.

Can't wait to see the next version.

Chris
Christine Lopez

Because of Me...

sothgara

Post by sothgara »

Hello Lakelyn,

Your second design withe the green draws you in. The colors used are so pretty together, and the layout works so well together. I am probably going to sound like a broken record with this, but I am a huge fan of a hamburger menu for any mobile view. It will free up so much space for your pretty graphic as well. Maybe make the size of the white background for each of the projects / resources and such all the same size? Lovely work.
- sara matts

SandraT

Post by SandraT »

Hello Lakelyn,

I think you did a great job showing your likes in the designs. The green design works better in my opinion because you use white and gradients to add legibility. The illustrations get kind of lost in the darker design. You could try using the gradient in that design as well.
Sandra Torres

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, interesting atmospherics on these, Lakelyn. You'll hear me go on and on and on about my love of contrast in some of my other posts in this forum, but I actually like your second design better. I think it's more visually interesting and has better atmospherics.

It feels like rays of sunshine shining through a dense jungle cover or peeking through a slowly opening door. I like the vine creeping along too, I can't decide if it reinforces the jungle theme or makes the website feel like a house full of plants. Even though it has less contrast than your other layout it still has plenty, especially as the green gets darker. The whole layout has really good, if tight margins. Everything is solidly locked together, but it doesn't feel too crowded. One little detail that I think is pretty neat is that you capitalize the button of the page you are on. That's a nice touch.

I don't think you need the gray box behind your bodycopy on your computer layout or your header on your mobile layout. I think your background gradient is dark enough and your font is bold enough for the type to pop off of. I'd also recommend not center aligning your bodycopy. I actually think, because of the rightward slope of your header as in flows around the logo on your mobile version, that your bodycopy would look best right aligned.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Aub

Post by Aub »

I admire the color scheme you have for both of your layouts! I dont have any suggestions actually I think they look great so far!
Aubrey Delos Reyes

EleanorVanEve

Post by EleanorVanEve »

I like your second design the best. The green gradient is well done and it’s relaxing to look at. The only thing I would change is to make your name bigger and the class name smaller for both your designs.
Eleanor Van Evera

Olivia_haltom

Post by Olivia_haltom »

Hello! I really loved the greenery on the second layout, but I don’t like the idea of a gradient very much. My opinion would be to make it a solid, dark green, and that would work really well. I love the type faces. They look super clean and simplistic. Great job!!

Verenisse

Post by Verenisse »

HI Lakelyn,
Cool designs you have, I am a fond of both that I couldn’t decide. My only suggestion for these compositions would be making the font size slightly bigger since it was a bit hard to read. And for your second design it would be cool to try out the green to grey gradient also to make the body text pop since it does get. A bit lost with the blue. Over all great job, can’t wait to see it.

:D
~Verenisse Ramirez[/i][/b]