Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Benjamin_Anderson

Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by Benjamin_Anderson »

Hi, my name is Benjamin Anderson. I have been at TMCC for 4 years now. I am a cybersecurity major. I am taking this class in order to get my cybersecurity certification. I am exited to take this class and to see what we all design.

https://www.amazon.com/
Amazon is such a useful website and app. It is always so organized so you can always find what you are looking. The color that they put into the website and app, to change it to the different seasons is phenomenal. It really shows how much effort is put in, to keep it up to date constantly.

https://www.nbc.com/the-voice
I have been watching the voice as I designed my drafts. Listening to the different auditions and how the songs can change when you have someone else sing. Music is a big inspiration in my life. Just like a book can transport you to a different world, a song can transport into different feelings and sometimes to a different world depend on the genre of music.
Attachments
Design 2.2.jpg
Design 2.3.jpg
Design 1.2.jpg
Design 1.jpg

Laura

Re: Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by Laura »

I really like the water/rocks photo layout, it looks good and that photo is awesome. I like the shapes and opacity you used. The logo color is a little tough on the eyes, but it is fun to add a little color. Good job.
~Laura Nelson~

troutbelli

Post by troutbelli »

Benjamin,

The choice of images on the light image is great. Your project links match those rocks really well. If I were to make a change to be a little more creative, maybe set those links on the rocks or change the ellipse shapes to look like rocks. The GRC and TMCC logos are pretty hard to see. I would definitely make a different color choice.

Chris
Christine Lopez

Because of Me...

sothgara

Post by sothgara »

Hello Benjamin,

I really love your design with the water, and rocks most. Feels like it is move lived in than the other. Great use of color too. Maybe try a hamburger menu for the mobile design? The yellow type may be hard on the eyes for some too. The placement of everything on the desktop view is excellent.
- sara matts

SandraT

Post by SandraT »

Hello Benjamin,

Your first design stands out more because of the use of the image. I like that your colors match that background but you can still make out the shapes. Maybe you should try playing with the color of the type a bit more. The yellow and white can get kind of lost.
Sandra Torres

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, that picture one looks darn good, Benjamin. Go with that!

I especially like how you leaned into the river image theme. I mean, your navigation is river rocks. That's hilarious. And what perfect selection on the images. It's visually interesting and calming and just lends a great vibe to the whole webpage. You correctly surmised that the image was awesome and used transparency on a lot of the page structure to show as much of that image as possible. Good call! The white, black and various tints and shades of gray and brown play nicely with your image too. Nice job having the vanishing point of the river lead the eye directly to the navigation in your mobile layout. You've got pretty decent margins on this whole thing as well. Most of it feels open enough to breathe.

I'm not sure you need the transparent oval behind your name. You've got a couple of typefaces too many in your composition. I'd recommend picking two typefaces and use different weights to differentiate content and establish hierarchy. I'd especially recommend changing both the font and color of your class information text. It get's lost in the background image and the typeface is used nowhere else in the layout. I think your title font is bold enough to show over the background. I'd recommend using the white version of the TMCC logo as the green one blends in too much with your design.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Aub

Post by Aub »

Hello good job so far, the one with the background caught my eye. I think the one without a background could use more pop out text boxes or shapes to add interest but I dont have any suggestions for the one with a background
Aubrey Delos Reyes

Olivia_haltom

Post by Olivia_haltom »

Hello! I really loved your layout! The rock imagery looked very nice. The colors you chose in my opinion could have been more of a dull color, but other than that it all looks really good!

Verenisse

Post by Verenisse »

Hi Benjamin,
Awesome designs you have. The rock designs really captures your attention, my only suggestion would be to play around with the composition of your design. You can come up with real cool stuff using the different tools given. And selecting fun fonts as well. Make sure it is something legible since I did have a hard time finding the projects and links on your design. Overall great work can’t wait to see. :D
~Verenisse Ramirez[/i][/b]

lakelyn_dean

Post by lakelyn_dean »

Hi! I like both designs but I think the layout in the one with the rocks is stronger. I like the use of image for the whole background, the type is still easy to read and the whole layout is easy to navigate. I agree with an above comment about changing the color of the logo on the bottom, just to make it a little more visible. My other suggestion would be to make your "buttons" just a little more visible. I also like your choice of fun fonts for your name. Other than that I think both layouts for desktop and mobile work well.
Lakelyn Dean <3