project one preliminary critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Samson VJ Saldana Ornelas

project one preliminary critique

Post by Samson VJ Saldana Ornelas »

Hello! I took this class because it's part of my elective credits and I'm enjoying it so far! Personally, trying to find a type placement was the hardest part of this so far, especially since I struggle a lot with type. I wanted to go for a more simple design, just mostly getting the basic layout, text, and colors right now. Even though it's simple, I actually like how it turned out!

https://www.riotgames.com/en
The layout and aesthetics of the site are visually appealing to me and it reflects the approach I want to take with my site's aesthetics.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Stardew_Valley_Wiki
The organization and layout makes it easily accessible. Very accessible on desktop and mobile, both layouts are similar but tailored to work almost identically on both.
Attachments
mobile_layout_svsjo.png
desktop_layout_svsjo.png
-samson <3

Laura

Re: project one preliminary critique

Post by Laura »

Fun photo- it is a great illustration. I would suggest not doing your description centered and would do left justification, it is always the easiest for a person to read. If you do keep it centered, I would decrease the leading.
Whatever you choose, I would line up the class name on the black background one to match your paragraph. Love the mini icons. I would take the ones away right next to the main photo.
~Laura Nelson~

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Uh oh! Time for me to be ~That Guy~. I like a little bit of both of these, Samson. Mostly I like the layout of your blue design and the contrast of your gray design. I'd say take the colors from your gray design and apply 'em to the layout of your blue design. I think that combo would work nicely.

This is the second OC I've seen so far this semester. I'm sensing a pattern here. It adds a fun effect to the design and should be kept. I like the use of the header and footer as framing devices for your content on the mobile version. Bring that into your computer version. It'll help. I like that both your mobile and computer versions are center aligned layouts. The computer one just adds a couple of navigation columns which nicely frame your content area. Your navigation (both of 'em) are easy to see and use. You use margins well. Everything has room to breathe and it gives you good expansion and contraction room to allow for different devices to display your website.

I'd recommend left aligning your bodycopy on your layouts. Left aligned bodycopy reads easier. Whatever design you choose make sure your bodycopy doesn't get squished together like the gray computer layouts did. I'd keep the overall layout centered as you have here, just align the type. I'd be tempted to swap your tiger face "stars" for actual twinkles/blings and make your background a night sky.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

SandraT

Post by SandraT »

Hello,

You did a great job with both of these and the avatar image is so cool. I think that the black one makes better use of the space in terms of the type and the contrast is more prominent. Maybe just see what bigger type would do to the design.
Sandra Torres

Verenisse

Post by Verenisse »

Hi Samson,
Awesome designs you have. I really like both color schemes, but I feel your strongest would be the darker color scheme. The way you added those pops of bright blue in there really makes your character pop! You could try to combine the layout of the second design with the color schemes of your fist design. On the second design there is a lot of blue and things do get lost, and I also you could try centering your character more inside the circle will make those darker details stand out more as well. Great job can't wait to see the final. :D
~Verenisse Ramirez[/i][/b]

troutbelli

Post by troutbelli »

Samson,
Ok, So now I get to mess with you. I really like the layout on the blue desktop, and the black mobile. I feel like if you could merge those two you would have a hit. The body copy on the desktop are clearer against the blue background. Love your illustration. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Chris
Christine Lopez

Because of Me...

Aub

Post by Aub »

Hello your designs look great so far! I favor the black and light blue design over the blues since they contrast each other in a stand out way. For the blue and blue layout, I suggest to play around with the typeface specifically on the buttons to make it look more like buttons
Aubrey Delos Reyes

Benjamin_Anderson

Post by Benjamin_Anderson »

Hi,

I like both designs. I like the gray design a little bit more than the blue. I like how you have top tabs a bit more than the side ones. I think if you put top tabs on the blue design it would look better just because of where you photo is position.

Benjamin Anderson

seungwoo lee

Post by seungwoo lee »

Hello,

I think your web design looks clear and cool. I also think it is good to use black and bule to contrast it. Also, I think the logo, type placement, and information are accurately divided, so your design is easier to see. I think that the vertical version is better than the horizontal version.

Ashton_H

Post by Ashton_H »

hello, I like the layout of the grey mobile design, I think the blue works a lot better than the grey. I think for the grey web layout, you could make your name a little bigger and then put your logo underneath your name. I think if you made the body text a little smaller and moved your contact and references links up it would look really good!