project one preliminary critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
sothgara

project one preliminary critique

Post by sothgara »

Hello everyone,
I am Sara.
I took web development a couple semesters back and realized that design was more me. I made my portfolio designs based off of things that inspire me, but it is very hard to make what I have inside my head translate through code due to being so new at it. I cannot wait to learn more, so I can make things more advanced and not so simplistic, even though I do think less is more in some situations.

I chose to keep things on a more simplistic approach because I do not want to get ahead of myself. We do have to make this come to life and I am not that advanced, yet. I am very inspired by nature, and Art Deco / Art Nouveau. I love botanical art, and am drawn to geometric shapes. My layout shows all elements for a portfolio page where you can find information about the artist, and also see works created. On the mobile views the hamburger menu will be where the links are for projects, references, and resources.

The sites below are the ones that inspired me. They both have great examples of every type of portfolio site for designers, or design companies. I am drawn more to the simplistic ones that are not too loud. I feel that they give all the info you need on the artist, and then you can go to the link where they show examples of their work and decide for yourself.

Awwwards has tons of examples for every style of portfolio out there, and they lean towards showing you what is most current in the industry. You can even vote on ones you like most. It reminds me of the old art inspiration site ffffound (rip), but with a magnifying glass on web sites.

https://www.awwwards.com/websites/portfolio/

Dribble shows great examples of portfolios as well, and gives you great advice on what to include and also leave out.

https://dribbble.com/search/portfolio
Attachments
option1mobile.png
option1web.png
option2mobile.png
option2web.png
- sara matts

troutbelli

Re: project one preliminary critique

Post by troutbelli »

Sara,

I really like your pulls from Art Deco, which is a huge favorite of mine. The tones and font in the first roughs, (with leaves) really got me looking around so I think you have a good visual draw. Good font choice as well to go with the art.
Christine Lopez

Because of Me...

Laura

Post by Laura »

These are great starts! I love the cool patterns. I like the font of the second, would add some more color or colors, but still allowing the design element to stand out. I like the first floral textile pattern, it is a little hard to see you name in the computer style. Great textile patters for both.
~Laura Nelson~

Ashton_H

Post by Ashton_H »

I really like the first design a lot, I really like the colors and the image you used. I really like the font too. I think the layout is really good, i like the web layout for the first design a lot, i like how you made your name very large but still had enough room for your links and resources.

SandraT

Post by SandraT »

Hello Sara,

I am loving the simplicity of these designs. The first is my favorite; I think you make better use of the image as opposed to the second design. I liked the type for your body copy and headings in your second design better so you could try switching those to see what it looks like.
Sandra Torres

Benjamin_Anderson

Post by Benjamin_Anderson »

Hi Sara,

You have two great designs. I love the fonts that you have chosen for the first design. Just change the color of the text especially on your name just so that if can pop out more. Right now it was a little hard to read. Other than that great work.

Benjamin Anderson

Aub

Post by Aub »

Your first design looks cool it has a cool background pattern that catches my eye. I would change the typeface, not anything specific, just play around with it and see what works better (or not)
Aubrey Delos Reyes

EleanorVanEve

Post by EleanorVanEve »

I really like your first design. I think the earthy tones were a great choice and the fonts work well with the design. I’m not sure if there’s anything I would change for either of them.
Eleanor Van Evera

Verenisse

Post by Verenisse »

Hi Sara,
Awesome designs you have I like the simple and easy look you were going for. I’m going to say that the first design is really nice and well done. The color schemes work, and the picture ties it all together. If you do decide to go with this one I would only suggest playing around with the fonts and placement of your type. Since on the computer version of your first design your name does get lost, and I feel you can find a nice little deco style type of font, if you’ll like. Overall great job, can’t wait to see.
:D
~Verenisse Ramirez[/i][/b]

lakelyn_dean

Post by lakelyn_dean »

Hi! I love both designs and how simple and clean they look, but I do love the one with the mosaic-looking leaves in the background. I like your font choices, and both layouts are nice, but if you were to go with the mosaic design, the only thing I would change is the width of your body copy on your desktop design. Other than that I think they both look great.
Lakelyn Dean <3