Project 03 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.

What do you like more?

Blue and Yellow fancy
43%
White art expressive
57%

Total votes: 7

Brooke_Brown

Project 03 Prelim

Post by Brooke_Brown »

Hello! The website I chose for Project 03 was Yale School of Art https://www.art.yale.edu/
For the first website, I was going for a more academic style of website and with the second I am going for more of an artsy-styled art school website. The original website is a complete mess and all over the place so i wanted to go for either side of the spectrum, either super nice and fancy like what i would expect from Yale, or go for a more art school styled website that displays the art and has a more expressive font style and layout for the website.
Attachments
project3outlinerough1.png
project3outlinerough.png
Brooke Brown

onnimelon

Re: Project 03 Prelim

Post by onnimelon »

The website looks much better in your designs, first off. I prefer the first style. I think it does capture the academic style so it makes it look more professional, especially since it's somewhere you pay a lot of money to go to, it might come across better to the audience to keep it more clean instead of whimsical. If you get what I mean. Both are good though. Maybe you can use the blue from the second design into the first to add some whimsy
alexandra buyck :D

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Brooke!

Going through these posts has been a whirlwind. I thought my bad website choice was pretty solid, but this one of the hardest to beat. Your design is very much indicative of this website being for an esteemed Art department, and is much better at representing Yale than that thing. My favorite your 2nd submission! I like the color pallet, being given such an assortment of colors looks hard to incorporate, and you did well, it compliments both the images and logo. I suppose the only critique is not seeing the mobiles/inner pages, but still very nice work!
-Nathan Grover

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ooooh! A poll! I love me some polls.

You've definitely improved upon the Yale Art website here, Brooke. I'm all about that white one. I think it makes for a great canvas on which to display Yale students' art. I really like your tile gallery of the student art. It's a clean layout with a lot of visual interest. Good use of contrast. It really makes the navigation stand out. I also appreciate how you've salted the design with a little of Yale's colors as well. The realtive monochrome does serve well to highlight the Yale students' artwork. The whole layout notches together quite nicely. At first I thought your margins were a little tight, but on further inspection, I think it works.

I would have liked to have seen inner page designs and mobile designs for both your home and inner pages. That being said, I have a few suggestions for the designs that you did present. I'd try taking that black nav bar and extending it so it starts behind the shield and pops out across the top of your page. I'm not sure the text on the left needs to be contained in a black box. I think it would be fine as justified black type so it has even edges.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hi, Brooke

I really like the concepts that you made for your homepage. I like both your concepts more but I have to say I'm drawn more to the colors in the second one but the layout in the first one. using the different photographs to pull in readers and people who would want to see this is a good idea. So when the suggestions I have revolve around mostly the tensions between the different objects and text that you have on the page. for example the Crest that is used on the top is very close to the edge of the page and it creates a lot of tension with the image. same thing happens with the School of Art it feels very close to the top of the page I feel like you could probably align the Crest and the top of the letters and Yale school of arts to each other and then move those both down a little bit so it doesn't create as much tension. also when you do a body copy especially in a very rectangular space you might think of using justified type. they both look amazing great job!

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

The blue design is definitely speaking to me since it ties in with the artistic vibe and gives life to the layout. I love how you used the primary colors of the color wheel to tie in with the logo, but also insinuate artistry! Great work :)
-Jillian Rodgers

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hi Brooke!
I like both of the designs you displayed. My favorite is the white expressive one; the art posted is more prominent due to the white and back layout. It provides great contrast and makes it easier on the eyes (unlike the original!). My only suggestion is to make the font of the tabs thicker, like in the second design. Aside from that, this website looks ready to build, and I can't wait to see it! :D
Giselle Sanchez

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hey Brooke, I love how easy the navigation is on your versions of this website! Looking very formal and professional, this could be the real website and I'd be fooled, awesome job!

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Brooke!

You have done a good job in on these designs. My favorite version is the blue one. I like the color choices, fonts and overall design. I am just curious how these designs would have translated in the mobile versions. Overall, these are both nice websites.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Brooke!
I really like your first design, I think it is very well organized and your hierarchies look great!
I also really enjoy the contrast it holds compared to the second design. I think the only thing would be that maybe a little more color would help it pop a little more, but overall great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer