Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
LMisher

Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by LMisher »

Hello All, LaTara here again!

So, I was charged with giving reno.craigslist.com a well deserved facelift, and man did I let my imagination go full throttle. I was inspired by the following websites: angi.com and homeadvisor.com, which I think are pretty good websites. I wanted to match their energy, and I hope that I am somewhere in the ballpark. My goal was to make a clean and user-friendly website that is not only appealing to the eye, but also informative and easy to navigate. Take a look and vote on your favorite version!
Attachments
services-pc.jpg
services-mobile.jpg
mobile3-jobs.jpg
mobile2-housing.jpg
mobile1-main.jpg
main1-pc.jpg
jobs-pc.jpg
housing-pc.jpg
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

onnimelon

Re: Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by onnimelon »

I can't believe you decided to tackle craig's list!
I really like the desktop version where you have a phone on the home page.
Also like the purples from the logo being present on the site.
I like the mobile version with the lady and the clip board.
Really great!
alexandra buyck :D

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hey LaTara!

We finally give craig a face. Or, many faces actually, because craig and all the list(s) become something much bigger in all your submissions, good work holy smokes. I think with how much traffic that website receives, it should be giving at least SOME effort to feel like there's a desire to update or slightly re-design? Lazy bones. A website is so much about design, and that website is essentially an online bazaar for (I think) millions of people. Your designs balance the image with the text and manage space with symmetry and asymmetry. Your centering and spaces look very even, and the login button makes sense and feels purposeful. Excellent!!
-Nathan Grover

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Oh! And my favorite version is the version where the family and dog are reading on the roof in the computer version, I just hope they got down safely.
-Nathan Grover

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Okay, so the real mystery here is which one is "Craig". It could be anybody, even the ladies. Who is Craig? Am I Craig?

I think you stumbled on a "why not both" situation here, LaTara. When I look at your designs, I see the makings of something very cool, and that something is a Craigslist that changes background images based on where you are in the website. Different images would denote different offerings. I see a services section, a job hunting section, a rental section, and some form of buy stuff section. At least. Mash 'em together and see what falls out. I like the centrally located search bar as well. Get you to dive into the site right away, without even consulting the nav (which is easy to find and presumably use, BTW). I like all of your image choices and appreciate how image heavy your layouts are. I really like the focus on people as opposed to stuff. You're redeveloping it into a point of connection rather than commerce. Great color choices and font choices as well. They give the whole thing a clean warm feeling. I want to dig in and see what's in there.

Vertically center the type in your purple login button. Put a bit of a stroke around your search bar so it stands out against your paler backgrounds. I think it would look cool if your title, the tagline, and your purple copy were the same width, which would make for some nice alignment edges on each side.

Nicely done!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hello, LaTara

All your designs are very fun and interesting to look at. the one I probably like the most is either the third one or the 4th one. these are very relatively simple designs I like your use of the purple it really contrasts itself with the rest of the website making it very easy to see. it also looks much more reliable than the actual Craigslist website. one thing I would suggest is when trying to fit in Wang headlines or body copy try and make it almost even with each other so it all has visual alignment in some way.

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hi LaTara!
I love the green and purple layout the most! The green and purple are great contrasting colors. The pictures you used also provide good contrast and a welcoming feeling. My only suggestion is to put the word "login" in the middle of the purple box. It is on some of them, but there are others that arent. Aside from that, it looks great, and I can't wait to see the redesign running! :D
Giselle Sanchez

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hey LaTara, I love the personality you gave this website, the pictures of people give it a face and impression, not to mention the easy search bar you included in your mobile versions. I especially enjoy the version with the woman and blue background, it's very friendly and makes for good contrast with your navigational setup, wonderful job!

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi LaTara!
I'm really enjoying both your designs! I think I favor the second one with the multiple people, I really love the concept of the variety craigslist has to offer. Great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

Natuwu

Post by Natuwu »

Hello!
I really like the inspirations you took for your redesigns! I like your first design, it's simple but it gets the point across. It's easy to read and navigate too, you did a great job on all of them!
-Natalie Meza