Project 3, Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.

Which one??

purple
60%
green
40%
mix?
No votes
something else girly...
No votes

Total votes: 5

Giselle

Project 3, Preliminary Critique

Post by Giselle »

Hello everybody! My name is Giselle, and these are my eight roughs for our third project. I chose to redo this website https://myorchidcare.com/ because one of my favorite flowers is orchids. I have a big purple moth orchid at home. She is gorgeous, and I want to expand my knowledge of necessary care for orchids. Why not gain wisdom and make a cool website? My green design is more modern, and it plays around with the layout. The italic words are my links to different pages, and the home "button" would be the name of the website in the upper left corner. My purple design is more colorful and plays a lot with links inside images. These rough pages answer the call to action because they include color, condensed information, and a better layout than the original website. Please let me know which one you feel works better with the information I am trying to present and what I can do to further this project!
These are the two websites I found that inspire me! (also the competitive websites :o )
https://orchidbliss.com/start-here/
https://www.repotme.com/
They inspired me because of how they both presented the information on their websites. It's organized and appealing! I love how Orchidbliss uses pictures as links; I want to incorporate them in my layout. I also love how vivid rePotme website looks; I wanted to include that aspect by adding vibrant pictures.
Attachments
myOrchidcare_home_computer-green.jpg
myOrchidcare_home_moblie-green.jpg
myOrchidcare_seasons_computer-green.jpg
myOrchidcare_seasons_moblie-green.jpg
myOrchidcare_home_computer-purple.jpg
myOrchidcare_home_moblie-purple.jpg
myOrchidcare_tips_computer-purple.jpg
myOrchidcare_tips_moblie-purple.jpg
Giselle Sanchez

onnimelon

Re: Project 3, Preliminary Critique

Post by onnimelon »

I like the 3rd design but I think you should bring down the saturation in the base color a little bit! I think the text is a little hard to read. So maybe bringing it down slightly to a lighter color and having white text might make it more readable. I really do like how clean and simple it is. But I really like the layout in the green one. Maybe switch the colors!
alexandra buyck :D

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Throw my hat in for the purple one, Giselle. I like how picture focussed it is.

The pictures really dominate the layout and draw the eye. You snagged some good pics, too! I like how everything in the design is divided into blocks and then those blocks are carefully arranged to make the design. It makes for an easy transition between mobile and computer layouts. Good font selection as well. You've done a great job using one typeface and different weights to establish hierarchy. I also like the multi column text layout on your inner page. The offset title is pretty cool as well. Your navigation is easy to see and presumably use.

The only element that does not quite work is the green type. It's a little clashy with the purple. I'd recommend swapping it for white, which is another orchid color and works better with purple. I think your type would look better fully justified, rather than the almost justified it is now.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hi, Giselle

I really like your first design and how you laid it out especially with the picture being so bright and contrasting the rest of the page. I like how you showed different orchids based on what season they would do best in. one thing that I would think about adding is a menu bar just like a little hamburger one or like maybe using their logo as a icon for the menu. another idea I have is that for the seasons page you could find a way to make the small paragraphs line up with each other so you have a little bit more alignment and organization.

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

The purple layout is definitely my favorite! It gives a nice and serene feel to the webpage. I would change the text color to maybe a white or something a bit brighter than the green though. Other than that, amazing job!
-Jillian Rodgers

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hey Giselle!

These are very nice website designs. I would have to say that the lavender version is my favorite. It is clean and easy to navigate. One suggestion I would make is to use a hamburger dropdown menu instead of the full header navigation on the mobile version. Other than that, well done.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Giselle, what an amazing use of color in the purple versions, it's a lovely use of expression and hones in on the idea of orchids. The green works too, but I'm so drawn to the purple, and the navigation in this version as well, great job!

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Giselle!
I really love your purple layout! It feels so relaxing and fresh which is so perfect for the website you redid. I think you could make some of your headers pop off the purple a little more, but overall great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hey Giselle,
Really great job on these, I think the purple one is the standout for me. The unity created from the purple background along with the purple flower really creates a cohesive looking piece. Well done.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

Natuwu

Post by Natuwu »

Hi Giselle!
I really like the layout of the third design, but I think it would look nice with the green background from the first one. Overall, these look great!
-Natalie Meza