project 3 prelim Toronto cupcakes

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Genevieve Dierenga

project 3 prelim Toronto cupcakes

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well
For project three I decided to redo Toronto's cupcakes website. it is very poorly designed and not easy to navigate. But I wanted to stick with the same themes and colors that they used within reason. I also decided to redo their log because it is very poorly designed to go with the fact that not only is the graphic stretched in a weird direction the font is also stretched which is like a major no no in topography. after I read the signed their logo I went in and tried to find pictures that I could use from their original website. Many of the pictures that are used are of mediocre quality or are placed on the website for no reason. When doing research, I looked a lot at their competitors and what they did to their websites, so I took many aspects from the websites such as frosted flavors almond butterfly and a few others. I wanted to see how they organized their menus and the information that a customer would need to find them. I know I wanted to go with a very pastel and use the same pink they use for the boxes. I placed a easy menu on the top banner with the logo and name on each one of my pages. I also added a hamburger menu in case there was something that I did not put on the banner. I used mostly pinks and a few screen tints of the pink to create a very professional design that flows through each one of my ruffs.

One thing that I did struggle with was how I wanted the menu to be laid out in my first design for the phone just because I did want that banner consistency that I had with the first design but obviously I can't fit everything up on top of the banner without it being unusable so I separated the home orders in about us on the top and then the cake selection and holiday specials on the bottom I not sure how I want to break up the space later but it is definitely a start.

original website:
https://torontocupcake.com/index.html

inspiration:
https://bobbetteandbelle.com
https://frostedflavors.ca
https://sweetserendipitybakeshop.com
https://www.almondbutterfly.com
Attachments
iPhone 14 Pro Max – 1.png
iPhone 14 Pro Max – 2.png
home.png
everyday cupcake.png
home_02.png
menu_02.png
about_02.png
home_01.png
home – 1.png
cupcake selection_01.png
about_01.png

Giselle

Re: project 3 prelim Toronto cupcakes

Post by Giselle »

Hello Genevieve!
I love both of the layouts you posted! They have great organization and use of color. The original website was hard to navigate and had little color. I am obsessed with your second design; it has a good portion of pink, and I like the typefaces better. They are bolder and more legible than the first design. My only suggestion would be to add slightly more detail to the logo or a secondary color to make it pop. Aside from that, both of your redesigns are amazing, and I can't wait to see what you do with this website! :D
Giselle Sanchez

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Genevieve!

These website ideas are cool. I like the pastel pink with the black cupcake logo. The pages are clean and easy to navigate. The mobile and pc versions both match each other and each version looks good. You did a great job on all of them!
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Sierra_Ross

Post by Sierra_Ross »

Hi, Genevieve!

I really like these designs a a lot. They're simple yet affective. The pastel color pallet you chose I believe is very fitting for a cupcake themed website and the overall look is very clean on both designs.

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Oooooo, I'm loving the use of pink throughout this, it reminds me of the boxes pastries are packaged in from a bakery. The cupcake logo is so cute as well, much better than the original logo they have on their site. If I had to choose, I'd go with your first version, the one with the horizontal dots, it just looks so clean and elegant. Easy navigation, friendly typefaces, and eye-pleasing layout, good job!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Okay, now I want a cupcake. What have you done to me, Genevieve?

I think I prefer your second design better. It's got more pictures and feels a little better organized. I like the pink, white, and black 50's diner aesthetic you've got going on here. Very clean. I really appreciate your use of proximity to group content objects and separate content object to make content topics. Going hand in hand with that, your use of margin is quite skilled as well. Good use of contrast throughout as well. The merchandise cupcake and batch picks look delicious. I like your fonts as well, they're both clean and a little cutesy and it serves the design well. As does your adorable little curlicue cupcake logo. It's all very midcentury twee which fits the aesthetic of the place.

I think it's big weakness it it's lack of photos. I think you need to add some more general shop photos and cupcake photos. You have plenty of merch photos, but I think it needs more. Go on over to Pexels and rustle some up. Also, vertically center your type blocks in your content boxes, the About Us content block seems a little high.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Genevieve!
Both of your layouts are looking so good! I think i prefer the second layout a little more. The way you laid out the pictures looks very natural and the graphics work so well with everything else. Great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Genevieve,
I think both these versions look great. The use of white and pink really sells the cupcake imagery, I think your first design looks alittle better to me. This is because the slightly muted pink color looks a little more natural with the white background. Overall great job.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

Natuwu

Post by Natuwu »

Hello!
I really like the cupcake selection you added, I think it helps promote the business which is something the original website doesn't have. That being said, I like that the pc version is easy to read, and you have navigation options, while the mobile version has the options on display right away. Great job!
-Natalie Meza