Project 03 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
livitup1

Project 03 Preliminary Critique

Post by livitup1 »

Hello my name is Olivia Lujan
My website for Project 3 is https://www.petsmart.com/
It's not the worst website ever but I found it to be really bland and empty. I decided to do designs that pushed myself but still keep a simplistic look to it.
I chose a lot of blues for both of the designs, one being more dark navy while the other was a sky blue. I think personally I like the sky blue design more so I want to go with that one for my final. I also cleaned up some of the elements so it was more pleasing to the eyes?
Let me know how I did
rough 01.png
rough 02.png
rough 03.png
rough 04.png
rough 05.png
rough 06.png
rough 07.png
rough 08.png

Giselle

Re: Project 03 Preliminary Critique

Post by Giselle »

Hi Olivia!
I love both of the designs you posted! Both layouts give excellent contrast and great organization. Unlike the original, your redesigns offer good eye-catching elements and colors that contrast nicely with the logo. I like the dark navy blue design more; it has more features that can attract more customers! My only suggestion is maybe using a different blue for the social media in the dark blue design. Other than that, I can't wait to see what you choose to do with the website! :D
Giselle Sanchez

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hey Olivia!

You did a great job with the PetSmart website! Although puppies are cuter than dogs (in my opinion), I really love the adult dog version of this website. The colors are cool, refreshing, and the navigation is user friendly! Keep up the good work.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Sierra_Ross

Post by Sierra_Ross »

Hi, Olivia!

I really love both of these designs, but I think I prefer the light blue one just a little more. I love your use of shapes to make the design more dynamic and the colors are very pleasing. The whole design looks very well done.

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hi Olivia

I really like your second design with the pastel Blues and the golden retriever I could definitely see this on the Petco website. it looks really easy to navigate with the menu bars on top as well as the search bar.

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

I'm definitely choosing the version with the clouds in the background, it gives the imagery and text room to breathe and creates a fun, playful mood toward the target audience. Your typefaces are friendly, and your navigation is simple and effective!

KAWINTHRAC

Post by KAWINTHRAC »

Hi Olivia, I also like the sky blue more than the other one. Both are good. But the sky blue makes me feel more soft and friendly mood for pets. It goes well with the image too. The design seems easy to navigate too. Nice work!
Kawinthra Chongsuksantikul

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You've got two great designs here, Olivia. I actually slightly prefer the darker design. It has a better sense of contrast and the blue, red and yellow work well together.

Your golden retriever puppy is adorable. Perfectly chosen for the website. He grabs the eye and makes for a great focal point the rest of the homepage radiates out from. I also like the interplay of circles and blobs in the background. The outline in particular catches my eye and highlights the puppy just that much more. Of course it wouldn't work nearly as well if not for your perfectly chose color set. The way the colors compliment and play off of one another is great. They also set up great contrast with both the black and the white. Your black header up at the top is a great framing device and sets off the navigation nicely. Great use of margin too. Everything has room to breathe. You've used proximity well to create content blocks. Everything is so easy to find. Good call to actions all over the place.

I'd change the blue and the red in your logo to match the blue and the red in the website. Hey, if we're rebranding, we might as well go all the way.

Great work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Olivia!
Both of your designs look great! I think I'm leaning a little more toward the sky layout because it feels so welcoming and wholesome. But I am really torn between the two, great job!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Olivia,
I think you did a great job re doing this website. To me both feel like Petco websites and both look great. I think the one that stands out is the lighter blue version. To me this represents the openness and friendliness of dogs and I think fits the pup imagery you have chosen a little better.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller