Project03 Preliminary Critique Roughs

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
onnimelon

Project03 Preliminary Critique Roughs

Post by onnimelon »

Hello my name is Alex. I'm working on the Cap'n Games website. Cap'n Games is a locally run video games store in Sparks, Nevada. The website is very clunky, and awkward to use. Navigational links are sort of just scattered, and there's lots of text pretty much everywhere. My main goal was to condense navigation to be more precise, and have less text distracting from the main point of the site. I based my first design mostly on gamestop and for my second I wanted to capture the local/personal feel so I based it off of other locally owned video game stores.
I think my design solutions work because I have the main points of the site that it was originally trying to reach, but in a more user friendly manner. For example, having one menu navigation on each page at the very top. There's no confusing links scattered. However, I did leave links in the footer. The second design proposal feels more video gamey and considering the audience, I think it's more effective in catching the eye and making the website feel a lot more fun/user-friendly

I made the website design in Figma so here's a link if you'd like to really get into it:
https://www.figma.com/file/BYSfINL026qs ... iLsPeIiL-1

link to original here: https://capngames.com/
inspiration links:
https://retroreplaynv.com/
https://www.gamestop.com/
https://www.dkoldies.com/
https://www.lukiegames.com/
Attachments
mobile-home-ver02.jpg
mobile-contact-ver02.jpg
desktop-home-ver02.jpg
desktop-contact-ver02.jpg
mobile-homepage-ver01.jpg
mobile-contact-ver01.jpg
desktop-homepage-ver01.jpg
desktop-contact-ver01.jpg
alexandra buyck :D

Giselle

Re: Project03 Preliminary Critique Roughs

Post by Giselle »

Hi Alex!
I am obsessed with your layouts! They both have great contrast and good typography. My favorite layout is the second one: the blue one. It's based on the locally owned video game store and has a great look. I love the variety of blues in the second layout and the pictures you chose. Everything looks put together, and every rough on your second design has continuation/similarity. The only thing I would suggest on your second layout is maybe to make the name of the company a little bit bigger or add the name of the company next to the home button. Aside from that, these roughs look amazing, and I can't wait to see what you do with this website! :D
Giselle Sanchez

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh yeah! You've noticeably improved Cap'n Games, Alexandra. I like your first one better. I think it's the lime green and the contrast that got me.

I like the way you sectioned the content using background colors. It really serves to separate out each piece of content. You've really done a great job with margins and proximity on this thing. Everything is nicely visually grouped, but not squished. Your content is well sorted. As for your colors, the green, black, and white play well nicely together with great contrast. I especially like the green. It's a great "tech" color. Your navigation is easy to see and presumably use. I especially like the item navigations in the footer. Good use of imagery throughout the composition as well, especially with the big buttons at the bottom. The main pics do a great job of establishing mood and feel all through the website.

I'm not 100% sold on the blue though. I think it clashes with your green more than a little. Maybe try a gray or silver, or even a lighter shade of the green. Make sure the tops and bottoms of all of your little pictorial link blocks line up. Right now they are a little out of vertical alignment.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hi, Alex

I really like both of your designs but I have to say I like the second one just a little bit more it still has the very retro video game feel that you would see in arcade game but with a more modern layout and feel.

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Alex!

I love your website pages. My favorite is the second to last pc version! I love the colors and it's appealing to the eyes. The navigation is user-friendly and clean looking. You did a very good job here!
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hi Alex, you've given this website such an old-school Mario vibe, and it's really working! I love your creativity with the buttons and navigation, it's fun and playful, just like the games this business is selling! If i were to choose a layout, I'd go with the first version, the use of colors sells it for me, wonderful job!

KAWINTHRAC

Post by KAWINTHRAC »

Hi Alex, I like both of your designs. I like how you divide your page in sections and make it easy to follow. The contact us section is very clear to see. I think the first design colors are a little bit too strong for each other.
Kawinthra Chongsuksantikul

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Alex,
I think I'm leaning more in favor of the first design. The green is such a good staple color to work with and the vibes just scream video games, it's perfect. The only thing is I think the bright blue is a bit harsh, and maybe a different color or even a more muted blue would make the green pop more. Great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Alex,
I really like your second design, I think the more cohesive color choice makes the pages fit together better. I think the first one looks more appropriate for the subject matter but doesnt have nearly as much unity.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

Natuwu

Post by Natuwu »

Hi Alex!
I love your redesigns! I think the first one gives off more retro vibes, while the second one is slightly more "sophisticated". However, both do a great job at promoting the business. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two, but I think im leaning towards the second one. I just really like the organization in that one a bit more, but overall you did a great job!
-Natalie Meza