Project 03 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
jillian_rodgers

Project 03 Prelim

Post by jillian_rodgers »

Hi everyone!

I decided to tackle one of the absolute worst websites I have ever seen, Vortex Technology (https://www.vortex.com). Where do I even begin with this?! When you look at the website, you can't even tell it is a business for I.T. and Computer Repair. There is only info about the owner, as well as random links to different weather and earthquake data in LA and political propaganda. On top of that, the "design" looks straight out of the early 90s. To fix this website, I first chose some backgrounds that give an almost space/tech effect to draw the viewer in. I changed the logo/header and added some tabs up top to declutter the website. Finally, I just added a clean and quirky slogan in the middle of the website to give attention to what the business assists with instead of trying to guess what it is. For the contact pages, I made sure to include the street address, phone number, and email address all in one place. On the original website, all of that info is scattered. I am definitely leaning towards the dark blue/black design since I think the colors and theme fit the "tech" vibe more, and the font stands out against it.
Attachments
rough02_mob.jpg
rough02_contact_mob.jpg
rough02_contact_comp.jpg
rough02_comp.jpg
rough01_mob.jpg
rough01_contact_mob.jpg
rough01_contact_comp.jpg
rough01_comp.jpg
-Jillian Rodgers

onnimelon

Re: Project 03 Prelim

Post by onnimelon »

Wow, this website is particularly trashy... but you really made it look much better in both design versions. I'm personally into the first one. Darker colors I associate more with computer, techy things so for that reason, I say go with the first one. Plus the layout I think is a little better. The header looks much better, the whole things looks way better than that clunky mess they have now!
alexandra buyck :D

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Jillian!

Ok visiting that website and figuring out that it's an IT and Computer Repair business is straight up, NUTS. Very good job. That website is horrendous, I giggled. What a find. It gives "I'm getting a virus right now". Enough of that site. All of your submissions give a feeling of comfort and security. It is nice to know that attention was paid to the design, was well thought-out, and most importantly, polished. A contact page that feels inviting. Maybe the originators of the website didn't want people contact them. But it's a good idea to be able to contact whatever it is you're trying to promote! My favorite is your rough01, the use of purple and choice of image work together to result in something very nice to look at. It's pretty hard to give any critiques when up against that first site. You nailed it!
-Nathan Grover

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You know, ordinarily I'd be all about that first design. I'm usually a sucker for contrast. But in this case, though, I really like your second. I think it's the multi-colored vortex sucking me in.

I love the visual interest of it. On the computer layout you're looking right down the throat of the vortex, while on the mobile version you're looking at it from the side. I love the chaotic colors and swirling motion of it. And it makes me laugh. Very on the nose. Almost a little too on the nose. Good use of transparency as well. You know that we want to see as much of that swirl as possible. Your purple color works well with the colors in the vortex. It's dark enough to highlight your content with out detracting from your background. I like your choice of a clean sans-serif type for everything. It's cool and techy and emphasizes the futuristic focus of Vortex Technology.

Watch the left and right margins on your footer on your computer layout. No need to quish the location map, just crop it. I'd recommend carrying over the semi-transparent content container to your mobile inner page layout. Make it the same width as your map and stick it to the bottom of said map.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hi, Jillian

Both your designs look very cool. I like how you made a map feature for one of your pages with the contacts. I like the swishing background you have on your first design, but I really do love the very colorful second design. one way you can shake some of your contrast issue with the white text on your background may be adding a box with the opacity down so you still see the background but it's easier to read. Your use of fonts especially for the first page works well with the very one and then the lighter font for vertex technology.

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hello Jillian!
I love both designs that you posted. They give SO much better organization and color compared to the original website. The first design is very eye-catching and gives a good contrast between the information and the background image. The typefaces are bold and legible; everything is coming along great! My only suggestion is adding a little more color to the first design, maybe a secondary color to the white and black theme. Aside from that, everything looks good so far, and I can't wait to see your redesign come to life! :D
Giselle Sanchez

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Jillian!

Good job on reviving this website. I have to say that the colorful version at the bottom was my favorite. Since it is a tech company advertising computers/laptops, I think that it would have cool to have seen a few pc/laptop models on the website's homepage. Overall, this looks good.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hi Jillian, definitely sold on your darker/long exposure night sky version of these layouts. It adds such a cool space effect, there's a lot of room for all the content to breathe, and the simplicity really adds the feeling of professionalism. Loving it!

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Jillian,
I really love your first layout, the contrast really makes it pop off the page. It feels very clean and is very nicely organized and I think it's a great improvement from the original design. Great work!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Jillian,
I really like your first design with the star trails. I think this not only makes me think of the future, which seems important for a tech company, but I also think it creates a visually interesting background that isnt to visually distracting. Well done.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller