Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Sierra_Ross

Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by Sierra_Ross »

Hello, everyone! Here are my rough designs for project three. The website I chose was Cool Math Games https://www.coolmathgames.com/ which is a classic website we all know and love. For my first design, I went for a space theme. The idea came to me because the logo sort of reminded me of a planet. For my second design, I went with a more simple look utilizing the existing colors from the logo.
Attachments
mobile-rough-inner-2.jpg
mobile-rough-inner-1.jpg
mobile-rough-2.jpg
mobile-rough-1.jpg
computer-rough-inner-2.jpg
computer-rough-inner-1.jpg
computer-rough-2.jpg
computer-rough-1.jpg

onnimelon

Re: Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by onnimelon »

Cool math games! How nostalgic. I like that you further simplified it so that way kids can get to somewhere fast.
I like the second design better but I think you could lean into that space theme even more! Maybe consider having a rocket ship drawing png instead of only planets, or maybe a little astronaut. Throw in some aliens? Since you made the navigation really simple I think you could go even harder on the more fun aspects of it!
Overall, really cool concept
alexandra buyck :D

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Sierra!

This makes me wish I played some cool math games. I was never good at math, but had I visited your site, I might have been on one of those leaderboards. It does lend itself to being easy to navigate and get to your favorite games. My favorite would be the computer-rough-2 style, where you have an option to search. Maybe, sometimes, you want to play an old game that you know isn't very popular anymore or something, I dunno. The color pallets used are all great for distinction! Nice work!
-Nathan Grover

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

I love the Computer Rough 1! The space/planet theme really fits with the math theme and gives a ton of personality to the website. The colors also work super nicely together. Great job!
-Jillian Rodgers

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hi Sierra!
I love that you chose cool math games; that was one of my favorite computer games as a child. I think the second design works best with the theme of cool math games. The colors offer significant contrast, and the planets add a great interacting element to the layout. My only suggestion is to choose a different font for the headers; maybe a thick digital typeface? Besides that, I'm excited to see how you bring this website to life! :D
Giselle Sanchez

Genevieve Dierenga

Post by Genevieve Dierenga »

Hi, Sierra

I really like your designs it really sends me back to elementary school. I like the second to last one the most just because it is the most interesting with the different planets being different buttons which I think is a really smart idea. I really like how you stuck with the same colors that the logo uses. One thing I do recommend is you might want to add not just some menu down the side but maybe a menu on top,

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Sierra!

These are really cool designs. It takes me back to the early computer or arcade 90's games! My favorite was the light blue and black version. One suggestion for you...On the mobile versions, instead of using the navigation menu, try using the dropdown hamburger menu. It will make your website look cleaner and more spacious. Overall, you did a really nice job!
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hello! Wonderful use of color to portray this business, makes me think of the claw machine in Toy Story. Your use of hierarchies is strong and clear, and the navigational bar looks easy to use as well! My favorite layout is the one with the moon towards the top of the page!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hah! Cool Math Games. I haven't thought about them in an age. A nice piece of archaeology there, Sierra.

I'd say go with your first design. I like the space theme and your planet's surface texture behind the navigation adds a bit of visual interest. I like all the textures used on that one as a matter of fact. Plus, space is just cool. Your red, green, and blue color scheme serves you well, too. RGB are the foundational colors that all digital screens operate by. Fitting for a computer game website. The planets are fun navigational elements as well. Speaking of navigation, yours is easy to find and presumably to use. Good pick on the type, too. It's clean and easy to read. Everything seems to be placed well and is very findable. Pretty darn good margins too.

The big thing I'm seeing here is that your design is desperately in need of photos. You have a pretty good setup here, but it just needs pics or game graphics. I also thing you should integrate the design of your homepages and your inner pages a little better. They are quite separate here. I would at least like to see more of that texture on the inner pages. They're a little too clean as is. Keep the space theme going in there.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Sierra,
I really like the color choices you used on these pages. I think it is visually interesting enough to catch the eye but isn't distracting from the information that is being presented. I think both of these ideas could work but I think the first one is a little more interesting to me.
-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller