Project 01 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
taylorichord

Project 01 Preliminary Critique

Post by taylorichord »

https://paullapkin.design/?ref=onepagelove
https://sixeastern.com/?ref=onepagelove

The main thing that I really like from the websites and portfolios I was researching was the clean look that they had. I also really liked the black and white color scheme of Paul Lapkin's portfolio, and I think the b&w website I designed is the one I prefer.
project01_desktop_roughs.png
project01_desktop_roughs2.png
project01_mobile_roughs.png
project01_mobile_roughs2.png
Taylor Ichord

KAWINTHRAC

Re: Project 01 Preliminary Critique

Post by KAWINTHRAC »

Hi Taylor,
Both of your design look clean and easy to use. I like how you play with your b&w color. I like how you create zones using black and white. It looks good for both computer and mobile sizes. The second design looks very clean too.
Kawinthra Chongsuksantikul

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hi Taylor!

I love the black and white version as well as the blues and grays of the second version. It is clean and easy to navigate. I would just have one suggestion for the mobile versions... Instead of having the buttons (project 2-4), I would replace them with a hamburger menu. This will allow more space on the mobile version of the site. Overall, you did a great job. I look forward to seeing the final version of your project.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

Brooke_Brown

Post by Brooke_Brown »

Hey Taylor! I was immediantly pulled to the black-and-white design! It is so clean and I love the organization of your layout and your type, it looks very professional and clean! Great work! :)
Brooke Brown

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hi Taylor!
I am very excited to see your website up and running, especially with the white and black scheme. I love how you used hierarchies in your webpage; it is easy to see what is most important to least important. The one thing I would do for your first layout would be to make your picture the same shape on both mobile and webpage design. I like the rectangle shape for your picture, it gives more class to your wonderful design!
Giselle Sanchez

Sierra_Ross

Post by Sierra_Ross »

Hi, Taylor! I love the black and white color pallet you went with as well as the bold text. I think it works really well and provides a simple yet effective design. I think if you added a little bit of color, it could really pop too.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, I'm all about that high contrast design, Taylor.

The black and white hits your eye so strongly. I like splitting the page title up across your header and using it to bind the header together with the bodycopy area. The dark header and footer make for a great framing device and direct the eye inward. Your layout is simple and clean with good margins throughout. Everything has room to breathe and is not crowded. At the same time they're not so far apart that the whole thing disintegrates. It flows seamlessly between mobile and computer versions. I also think your use of Impact type works here as well. Since the whole thing is about contrast, why not have a typeface that leans into that? Your navigation looks to be easy to find and use.

I'd recommend using a lighter sans-serif typeface for your bodycopy. The serif font doesn't play well with the rest of the sans-serif typefaces you're using in your composition.

Great work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hey Taylor!

The contrast is really well done, I really tried for something like that but you absolutely nailed it. The inverted black and white between header and body makes the title really stand out, in an un-assaulting way. The second submission is clean, albeit a little plain, you look like you know what you're doing. The typeface used in the title of that second one is unique and cool. Great job!
-Nathan Grover

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hey Taylor,
I really like these simple black and white designs. I think the use of negative and positive space in your name makes this on the winner. I do think adding splash of color somewhere in here could really make it stand out.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Taylor!
I agree with you, the first design is super strong. The contrast is great, and the layout for both mobile and pc are clean and super readable. I think the only feedback I have is to maybe put the picture and paragraph before your projects and links so viewers see who's website it is first and foremost.
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer