Project 01 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
livitup1

Project 01 Preliminary Critique

Post by livitup1 »

rough 1.png
rough 2.png
rough 1 mobile.png
rough 2 mobile.png
Hello I am Olivia Lujan and these are my first 2 roughs
I'll be honest I'm not really proud of these at all because this is like my 2nd time attempting a web design class.
I wanted to make very simplistic and minimalistic designs with simple colors to make my website cozy and easy to read and navigate. I think it works out fine.. but maybe the placement can be better in some areas. I used a lot of resume websites as inspiration

> my two main inspirational links
https://onepagelove.com/alexander-engzell
This one I liked a lot because it was a geometric resume site that had simple shapes and simples colors. Loved the composition though
https://onepagelove.com/kathy-loves-airbnb
This is my second one I liked because of the warm and inviting layout. I loved the font used and even though it has a lot of text it was not boring to the eye

LMisher

Re: Project 01 Preliminary Critique

Post by LMisher »

Hello Olivia!

I really enjoyed the mint green version of this the project. Although I really love blue, I found it difficult to read the content. I would maybe choose a lighter hue of blue?

Also, I would just have one suggestion for the mobile versions... Instead of having the buttons (project 2-4), I would replace them with a hamburger menu. This will allow more space on the mobile version of the site. Overall, you did a great job. I look forward to seeing the final version of your project.
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hey Olivia!

I enjoy the green design the most, the color is soothing and easy on the eyes, and the white text looks awesome over it. On the green mobile version I'd say your three projects would look best centered, other than that I love your layout!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You got yourself a couple of nice clean designs here, Olivia. Usually, I'm Mr. Contrast, but I like the colors and feel of your first design better. I'd say go with that one.

I think it's the gentle background color that's relaxing me. Love that sage pastel. I like the punch of contrast of your dark title and bodycopy against all that softness. Serves really well to balance out your image. Nice type choices as well. Looks like the same typeface in different weights. Always a winner, design wise. I like your layout priorities. Hit 'em with the pic and copy and then worry about navigation. A bold idea, but it works here, mostly because your nav is quickly visible at the bottom. Good use of margin throughout. Everything's got room to breathe. I was initially unsure about your vertical lines in your menu, but now I see that they are section separators. Your nav is easy to find and should be easy to use.

One thing I would recommend bringing over from your second design is that round image cutout. I think that would go really nicely with the gentle pastel layout you have here. I think your Project buttons on your mobile layout would look better centered under the class info.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

onnimelon

Post by onnimelon »

I like the dark blue more. The designs are both simple and clean. Could go either way here!
alexandra buyck :D

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hello Olivia!
The two designs you have presented are amazing. My favorite design is the dark blue theme; I like the layout and how the type is placed. You have a great hierarchy, and the picture you have is beautiful! The only thing I would suggest is changing the font for your name. It is a little hard to read, and the leading is very small. Everything else looks ready to rock and roll! :D
Giselle Sanchez

KAWINTHRAC

Post by KAWINTHRAC »

Hi Olivia,
I like both of your designs. The blue is really my eyes but I also like your simple and clean look on the other design. I also like how you use lines to separate projects, links, info on that design. And I like the mobile version of that one more than the blue because projects section is a little too tight on the blue mobile version. Other than that I think both are looking good.
Kawinthra Chongsuksantikul

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Olivia,
Well done on your prelim work. I think I like the mint green one better, both are strong layouts but I think the mint green allows your text and imagery to pop off the page a little more.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Olivia!

I am also quite new to this so I can totally sympathize. I feel like you've got a strong grasp on the basics of layout, better than mine! I think your second submission is using nice color and the desktop is laid out in such a way that feels 3D and does so smoothly. Nice work!
-Nathan Grover

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hi Olivia!
I really like your second design the contrast with the darker blues makes your design really pop compared to the color palette on the first. I also really enjoy the contrast of the circle picture with the rectangular framing. You're navigation is also set up really well and looks really easy to navigate!

Kristen Rothbauer
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer