Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Sierra_Ross

Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by Sierra_Ross »

Hello! My name is Sierra Ross. Here are my four rough designs for project 1. I did my best to stay simple with the layout since this is my first time designing a proper website.
Design 1- computer rough
Design 1- computer rough
Design 1- mobile rough
Design 1- mobile rough
Design 2- computer rough
Design 2- computer rough
Design 2- mobile rough
Design 2- mobile rough
Here are my 2 inspirational websites. I love the overall look of these websites and took inspiration from their simplicity and bold colors.
https://www.sophiebritt.com/
https://www.byxp.co.uk/

Brooke_Brown

Re: Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by Brooke_Brown »

Hello Sierra!
I love the color combinations for your designs and the simplicity of them. I personally really like the purple and orange ones, those are such warm colors and I think they pair beautifully with the sunset and then in their subject boxes.
Brooke Brown

LMisher

Post by LMisher »

Hello Sierra!

The colors in both versions are great, but the second version with the purple, pink and red hues were breathtaking. Congratulations on a success first attempt. I love them both. Great job!
Warm Regards,

LaTara Misher :D

chloecutter

Post by chloecutter »

Hi Sierra!

I really enjoy the use of color on these layouts, they pop off the screen and compliment each other nicely. I enjoy the purple/pink version the most between these roughs, the colors are so vibrant and I like the layout, it has a nice flow to it! Your name is a little hard to read against these backgrounds, using a bolder typeface would be very effective. Other than that I really enjoy these, great job! :D

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ooooh! Interesting, Sierra. I think I like your second design a little better, both in terms of colors and layout.

Great selection of your image. It's so visually striking that it sets the tone for the whole layout. You obviously concur because you used it's colors throughout your design. That serves to tie the whole thing together, which is pretty darn cool. You pretty skillfully use contrast as well. From the hard contrast of your header seeping all the way down to your pale purple background color.. Good use of margins throughout the whole design. Everything has room to breathe. I also like the simplicity of the layout. It collapses and expands nicely between computer and mobile.

Watch the top margin on your between your bodycopy and it's container. Your margins are otherwise good, it's just a little tight there. I think a sans-serif typeface would go well with this layout the serif type clashes a little with it. Maybe try something bolder for your title? right now it's a little thin.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Giselle

Post by Giselle »

Hi Sierra!
I love both of the pictures you have used. My favorite layout would have to be the second one! The colors are beautiful, and they match perfectly with the picture. The layout is great! There's enough room for links and tabs. The one thing I would change is the type. The type is thin and a little hard to read with the vibrant background. I would suggest a thicker typeface for your name because that's the most important to read. Everything else looks gorgeous! :D
Giselle Sanchez

ngrover19

Post by ngrover19 »

Hi Sierra!

I love the colors in both of your submissions, but I definitely lean toward the purple one. They're both on the simpler side, but that's not always bad! I noticed that your text boxes in the first desktop view are ever so slightly off-center to the left. I am excited to see how your layout progresses and if there are any more colorful surprises in store. Great work!
-Nathan Grover

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Hi Sierra,
I really like the imagery and colors you used! You've created very visually pleasing websites, I think one thing you could do to improve them is to remove the gradient on the text boxes. I find that this creates to much visual clutter and harms the legibility of the text.

-Cedar
- Cedar Moosmuller

kristenrothbauer

Post by kristenrothbauer »

Hey Sierra!
Your second design definitely caught my eye compared to your second design. The colors and image are working really well together. You might want to explore a thicker/bolder header font for you name it falls to the background a little bit and that's the most important part of your website hierarchies. Other than that they both look great!
✮✢❂✶✧
Kristen Rothbauer

jillian_rodgers

Post by jillian_rodgers »

Hi Sierra!
I enjoy how you focused on using vibrant colors and imagery on both your designs. I definitely think the purple theme is a bit stronger. My only critique would be to mess around with the font a bit more since it seems to blend in too much. Great job otherwise!
-Jillian Rodgers