Project 04 Preliminary

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
NMartz

Project 04 Preliminary

Post by NMartz »

Hello class, here are my preliminary roughs. I like both but I think I like the second one a bit better. Some boxes and underlines are filler. The green doesn't normally look that bright, I don't know why it is appearing bright in the preview.

Rough 1
project04_web01_layout01.jpg
project04_web01_layout02.jpg
project04_mobile01_layout01.jpg
project04_mobile01_layout02.png
Rough 2
project04_web02_layout_01.jpg
project04_web02_layout_02.jpg
project04_mobile02_layout01.jpg
project04_mobile02_layout02.jpg
- Nick Martinez 8-)

YoAdrian!

Re: Project 04 Preliminary

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Nick,
I like both of your designs, but the 1st one appeals to me a little more. I like the simplicity and it looks like it'll crunch down nicely. I really don't have any improvements for you, maybe make the hamburger navigation a little more icon-like? It feels a little large for your design. Good work!
-Johnna Chism

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Looking good there, Nick! I'd recommend going with the first design. It's the stronger of the two.

I like the simplicity of the first design. There are very few elements, but they work together well. You've snagged a unique view of the campus and you're making good use of it. Your design is blocky, but you've leaned into it and made it seem more geometric. Good use of contrast throughout. The TMCC colors look pretty decent here, which is tougher to do than you might think. Overall, your margins are pretty decent as well. Most things seem to have room to breathe. The title type is clean and easy to read, which you're looking for on educational websites. Your navigation is easy to see and use in both versions. I also like the way you're using flexbox to flip the navigation and main banners in your header on the mobile version. Strong move!

I'd probably use a lighter bodycopy and justify it. Make for some nice clean text blocks. Watch the bottom margin on the bodycopy in your mobile layout for your home page. I'd recommend vertically balancing it and your title in the white space like you did on your computer home page layout.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hi Nick!

Great work so far! I think I have to agree with the others, your 1st design is very strong! I think your visual hierarchy is quite strong, and the site isn't boring to look at, which can be a challenge with educational sites. My only feedback is to drop the weight on your body copy, and maybe a heavier weight in your header? Can't wait to check it out!
Isaac M!

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Nick!
I like both the designs but I also like the top one better. The pop of green looks really nice next to the black, whereas the bottom one has a bit too much green. My advice would be to go with the top one, and then add one more font variant to the design. Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

Juan Lara

Post by Juan Lara »

Hi Nick,

I think your first set of layouts are the best. Your site is easy to navigate and the structure is organized. The only thing I suggest is using a different green that is less bright as it could be a bit overwhelming to look at for extended amounts of time. Keep it up!
Juan J. Lara Ruelas

Hinata_Sato

Post by Hinata_Sato »

Hey Nick!

Nice work on these designs! I think both of them are looking good. I recommend changing the green neon color to the one you already have for the mobile version of Rough 1. It's a little bit hard to see. Good image choice and I think the Rough 1 looks better! We're almost done!!
Hinata Sato

antstronomy

Post by antstronomy »

Hi Nick,

I like your first set of designs more than the second. I think they both work well, I would just recommend tuning the green down so it isn't so neon and harsh on the eyes. After that I think it can instantly work better! Good job!

kevin_ksk

Post by kevin_ksk »

Hey Nick,

I like the first design the most. I would work on your colors. I don't like the green for the menu bar. Maybe make it white. I think choosing some interesting fonts could make this pop more. You have a good layout and foundation. I think you could really build upon it.

lil_cactux

Post by lil_cactux »

Hey Nick,

Great job on your layouts! I like the first one more. The tmcc green is very powerful and you used it as a very nice accent color in your first layout. Maybe the tmcc logo could be a little smaller but overall your design is great!