Proj 4 Prelim

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
YoAdrian!

Proj 4 Prelim

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Everyone,
Here's a stab at Proj4! I think I'm going to go with my 2nd design layout (with my dystopia TVs from Art101) and I need to play with the typefaces a little more.

The 1st design is meant to be a scrolling stove pipe deal, where I would start with the mobile version and do something similar for the web version. I really like the image of TMCC, but I'm having issues making it work for the mobile version.

Thanks for your ideas and help...trying to keep it simple so I don't cry while coding HTML (don't worry, I'm trying to think good thoughts and be positive....I can do this...I can do this).

Rought #1 Landing Page / Inner Page
Proj 4 Rough 1a
Proj 4 Rough 1a
proj4-roughs-jmc_ .png (2.84 MiB) Viewed 5343 times
Proj 4 Rough 1b
Proj 4 Rough 1b
Proj 4 Rough 1c
Proj 4 Rough 1c
proj4-roughs-jmc_1b-contact-web.png (4.06 MiB) Viewed 5343 times
Proj 4 Rough 1d
Proj 4 Rough 1d

Rought #2 Landing Page / Inner Page

Proj 4 Rough 2a
Proj 4 Rough 2a
proj4-roughs-jmc_2a-home-web.png (2.88 MiB) Viewed 5343 times
Proj 4 Rough 2b
Proj 4 Rough 2b
Proj 4 Rough 2c
Proj 4 Rough 2c
proj4-roughs-jmc_2b-contact-web.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5343 times
Proj 4 Rough 2d
Proj 4 Rough 2d
-Johnna Chism

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Proj 4 Prelim

Post by Instructor »

Oh, I'm all about your first design, Johnna.

The first bit that caught my eye is the colorful ransom letter type bouncing all over the screen, but not far enough apart that it looses coherence. It looks super artsy which is important when you're selling a department like ours. It immediately grabs the eye against the grayscale background image. That combo of color against grayscale is eyecatching. Great choice of images, BTW. That's one of my favorite pics of campus. I also like how each section is color coded on the inner pages as well. The header and footer frame everything nicely, though your irreverent ransom letter breaks out of it which further drives the eye to it. Your non-ransom letter type is clean and easy to read, befitting an educational website. Your navigation is easy to see and use too.

I would recommend injecting a little more color into your inner pages. Half the fun of the home page is the colorful ransom letter type. Maybe use that left side stripe and snag a color that plays well with the color coded background images.

Great work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey Johnna!

You have some great concepts here! I really enjoy both, but I think I am slightly leaning towards the first one. The bright colors really pop off the grey/white background, but that's not to say your preferred choice is bad. You are doing awesome! My feedback for you is to consider making the type container less transparent for your body copy. The type gets lost towards the end of the paragraph, where the text overlays the buildings.

Excellent work!
Isaac M!

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Johnna!
I love both of your designs so much! They are so unique and have such a cool vibe. Both home pages are awesome, but I feel like the second home page is more of a fine art piece, and the first home page is more of a graphic design piece. I think it would be cool if you did the first home page design, with the second design's inner page design. However, both designs would turn out great! Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

antstronomy

Post by antstronomy »

Hi Johnna!
I have to agree with Michael. I'm really enjoying your first design! It reminds me of your personal website and is definitely your style. It also works really well and is easy on the eyes. Your second design is also amazing and could work for this assignment, but I really hope you go with the first! Great job!

Hinata_Sato

Post by Hinata_Sato »

Hi Johnna,
I loove your first design!! You made the website way cooler than the original one. I can tell the website is for graphic design even without reading the body copy! You made the "Graphic Arts" pop out by making the background image black and white. My only critique is that your body copy is a little hard to read. Other than that, great work! Two more weeks to go!
Hinata Sato

kevin_ksk

Post by kevin_ksk »

Hey Johnna,

I like your first layout the most. I don't really get the TV thing for the second layout. I like that you have a theme with the experimental artsy thing. I think the first one looks appropriate for TMCC. I like how you made it black and white but made the text pop out in color. Good job

lil_cactux

Post by lil_cactux »

Hey Johnna,

Wow your layouts are impressive! I absolutely LOVE the green layout with the TVs! So cool, so artsy! I would say the only thing that is a little off putting is all the different colors, since green and magenta are on the homepage, it might help with consistency if they were also in the inner pages. Overall great job!

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Johnna, good work. I really like what you did with your first design. I really like the different colors and fonts and how you made it visually interesting to look at. The text is clashing with the background a little bit towards the bottom, my advice would be to do something to make it easier to read.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

S_Osmar

Post by S_Osmar »

Hi Johnna,
I think out of both your designs I really like the second one. While the unique style in your first design is really cool, I think the second one fits better. Maybe you could have the buttons be more apparent and bold like the TMCC logo to make them pop out more since the background on the home page kind of makes them blend in. Overall, Nice job!