Project04_prelim

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.

Which one is better? Choose one mobile and one computer

Poll ended at Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:54 pm

Computer Rough 1
29%
Computer Rough 2
14%
Mobile Rough 1
29%
Mobile Rough 2
29%

Total votes: 7

yasmin_bean

Project04_prelim

Post by yasmin_bean »

Circle = Button/link
Small solid square = Image

First set of roughs:
computer_rough01-1
computer_rough01-1
computer_inner01
computer_inner01
mobile_home01
mobile_home01
mobile_inner01
mobile_inner01
Second set of roughs:
computer_home02
computer_home02
computer_inner02
computer_inner02
mobile_home02
mobile_home02
mobile_inner02
mobile_inner02
Research:
Brainstorming-
• Currently on website
o Very top thin navigation bar (Done)
o Logo (Done)
o Search bar (Done)
o Main Navigation Bar (Done)
o Information (Done)
o Section Menu (Done)
o See also (Done)
 Art Galleries
o Catalog (Done)
 Degrees and Certificates
 Course Description
o College Catalog Info (Done)
 Degrees
 Certificates
 Courses
o More Info (Done)
o A singular image of a chart and one up top (Done)
o Footer (Done)

• What I can do
o Merge both top nav bars
o Main information in footer can combine with nav bar
 Socials just need a little bit of touching up
o Images need to be incorporated throughout
o Catalog and College Catalog Info are currently disrupting the flow, out them on bottom.
o Art Gallery Image slider
o Section Menu at top of main section
o Put search bar in nav bar
o Logo can become background for footer or remain where it is
o Information needs to be reorganized
o Contact Us needs to be moved from section menu to the bottom of the page
o FAQ needs to be moved to the bottom of the section menu
o Faculty goes right above FAQ

• Aesthetic Overhaul
o Bulleted Lists need to be stylized
o Style the side menus
o Background color needs change
o Different font
o Paragraphs needs to be broken up more efficiently.
o Make sure photos are HD and not pixelated or blurry
o Colors of links need to change
o Give a photo for each career path and get rid of the bullets, lay it out horizontally using flexbox

Site Needs -
The basic overview of the project is to fix the TMCC GA&MT Website. The primary goal of this website is to relay information in a more clear and concise manner. The secondary goal is to make it visually appealing.

My primary audience is prospective students coming to TMCC, they could be any age including those in the Jumpstart program. A typical user would look around at the information on the website and be able to tell what the degree entails and what the goals are. They’d click from tab to tab.

I want these people to think about joining the program and how easy it is to navigate the website. I want them to feel that joining this program is right for them because of how modern and creative the website is. Adjectives that can be used are modern, creative, appealing, organized.

The overall message I’m trying to convey is how efficient, organized, and informative we are as a department. I will convey this message through design, categories with subcategories, proper breathing room, and proper color coordination. I will measure the success of the website as time goes on. Perhaps people will take more of an interest in TMCC because of it.

The competition is UNR and UNLV. This website will be different than those two because it will be a collaborative mesh of professionalism and creativity in order to attract students.

I like how the other websites list their information. They start off light and slowly add more information and detail as you scroll down. I also really like how UNLV incorporates images on their home page.

Targeted Message:
A creative and informative way to begin your journey in GA&MT.

Thumbnails-
thumbnails01
thumbnails01
thumbnails02
thumbnails02
Site Map-
site_map
site_map
Please take the time to think carefully about which one you like best. Critiques are always welcome in the comments :D

YoAdrian!

Re: Project04_prelim

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Yasmin,
Ooooh dots! This could be really fun, especially if they repeat continuously across the width of the screen! I like our colors, but it may be worth a shot to add a little more of the TMCC green/yellow color as an accent? Might be worth a try. Can't wait to see how it all works out.
-Johnna Chism

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hi Yasmin!

Great job on these! I think I am leaning towards the first set a bit more. The darker background works better for the type, in my opinion. As for feedback, I think you could cut back on the buttons and links a bit unless some of them are for external sites! Also, your font choice for your body copy is a bit thick, so you could always choose something thinner to increase legibility.

Nice job!
Isaac M!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your first one, Yasmin. It has a drilled out metal aesthetic. Very googie.

You could hide all kinds of things in those speed holes. I like the way you have this metal header and metal footer framing everything. The top one has speed holes like the supports on a sixties carwash. It makes for a great unifying element between your home page and your inner pages. You've got an interesting aesthetic here. The home page in particular has pretty good contrast. Its a simple layout, but it seems to be working here. The Impact makes for a good headline font. Very bold and eye-catching as it was intended to be.

That bodycopy seems far too bold. I'd recommend using a lighter one it its place for easier reading. Your margins are awfully tight between the white boxes and your bodycopy paragraphs on your computer home layout are awfully tight. I'd recommend using your lighter green (the one in your speed holes at the top) for your headline. For your inner page, I think you should use white type as the black type vanishes against the background. I'd love to see more pictures in it.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Juan Lara

Post by Juan Lara »

Hello Yasmin,

I really like the dotted pattern you used for your layouts. They're quite interesting. My only suggestion is making the typeface for the bodycopy a bit smaller to establish a better sense of hierarchy. Keep it up!
Juan J. Lara Ruelas

Hinata_Sato

Post by Hinata_Sato »

Hey Yasmin!
The second set is probably my favorite! I like the color scheme you have and the dots! My advice will be to make the body copy white with the box in the back like you already have for a few of your layouts. I think it looks overwhelming with too much black. My other advice will be to use another font style (more lightweight) instead of bold like Michael mentioned. Nice work!
Hinata Sato

antstronomy

Post by antstronomy »

Hello! I like that with both designs, you kept tmcc's colors in the mix! If I had to say anything that could be improved, it may be working with the space and layout a little more just so there is some breathing room. I'm enjoying concept 01 right now

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi Yasmin!

I think I'm liking your first design more with the darker background, also really liking the dot theme you have going on! Only suggestion is to give everything a little more room to breathe, things feel a little close together. Overall, can't wait to see how it turns out!
~*Jenna*

kevin_ksk

Post by kevin_ksk »

Hey Yasmin,

I like your lighter design more. I would stay away from using the circles. And I would add more TMCC photos. Work on text spacing/placement

lil_cactux

Post by lil_cactux »

Hey Yasmin,

Nice designs! I like the first one the most. I think the TMCC in the background is very nice. I would maybe say to maybe increase the space between content to create some more breathe-ability. Overall great job!