Project 03 Preliminary ✮

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
antstronomy

Project 03 Preliminary ✮

Post by antstronomy »

Hello everyone. I apologize in advance for the (very) late preliminary post.

Anyway, I wanted to redesign the roller kingdom website for this project. Anyone who grew up In Reno or Sparks may know that Roller Kingdom is a local roller rink here. Though it is questionably fun, I've always appreciated that its interior has had little to no aesthetic and interior design changes. I thought it was such a disappointment on their end that they do not uphold the 80s/90s vibe that their interior reflects. It seemed like such a missed branding theme, so for my two designs, I wanted to emphasize this. My first design is groovier and more in the 80s, while my second is fun and more 90s. I am leaning more toward my first design, but I hope everyone can enjoy them. Thank you!

Here is their current website: https://www.rollerkingdom.org/
Attachments
Web Landing Page Design 01
Web Landing Page Design 01
computer_layout_01.png (759.69 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Mobile Landing Page Design 01
Mobile Landing Page Design 01
Web Inner Page Design 01
Web Inner Page Design 01
inner_page_web_01.png (638.89 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Mobile Inner Page Design 01
Mobile Inner Page Design 01
Web Landing Page Design 02
Web Landing Page Design 02
computer_layout_02.png (767.23 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Mobile Landing Page Design 02
Mobile Landing Page Design 02
Web Inner Page Design 02
Web Inner Page Design 02
inner_page_web_02.png (514.99 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Mobile Inner Page Design 02
Mobile Inner Page Design 02

kaiyote03

Re: Project 03 Preliminary ✮

Post by kaiyote03 »

Salam alaikum Anthony!

I really enjoy the funk that you have in your designs, especially with the colors in the first design. I do enjoy the design in the second design but I feel that the colors are a bit too pastel to portray the "feel" of roller kingdom. I really do enjoy the shapes that you have in your first design as it gives that 70's roller skate resurgence style which would fit overall with with the thematic of roller kingdom.

An idea that I have is that you should use the font that Roller Kingdom has for its name at its locations instead of the more serif like one that you have in the first design. Also for the first design I think that you keep all the shapes in that rounded area instead of the sharp points that you have with those triangles. For the second design I feel you should focus in on a certain feel for the design as currently it feels like a mish mosh of different styles which gets a bit too convoluted.

Great work so far on your designs! I look forward to the final designs! (≧∇≦)ノ
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow! You weren't lying about having a vision, Anthony.

Like you, I'm all about your first design. It's much more of a throwback to the 70's and early 80's when rollerskating was in it's heyday. If you wouldn't find it in/on a custom van, you shouldn't find it on your website. The design has such a sense of motion to it, too. It looks like it's going to roll off the screen. Great color choices too. Very in keeping with the times. It makes for good contrast throughout the design. Your gradients also add to the motion of the design. Great typography as well. Your title/logo type is perfectly realized and the sans-serif type is inoffensive. Your navigation is easy to see and use.

Watch your margins around your address on your mobile and computer layouts. Also, watch the distance between your bottom button on your navigation and the record on your computer layout and the top button and the record on your mobile layout.

Nice job!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi Anthony!

How fun, your designs look awesome! You nailed the 70s + 80s look for both, I'm a little torn on which to pick. I'm leaning more towards the 1st design as I like the darker background against all the elements, makes everything pop a bit more. Only thing I could suggest is to align the little circle/bullets on the mobile design. Other than that I'm excited to see the final!
~*Jenna*

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Anthony! I loveeee you designs! These are all so cool and are definitely giving roller kingdom. I think If I had to chose, I would go with the first design. I think that dark blue looks really nice with the other colors that you have. If I had to change one thing it would be moving "home" to the left a little so its not so close to "roller". Really nice job!!

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Anthony,
These are both so great! I know you said you like the 1st one better, but I really like the 90's design. The colors are great, and your typefaces are spot on. I would just add a little drop shadow or a stroke to the typeface on the interior page. The words and letters get a little lost since all the colors are so bright (white on yellow for example). This will be really fun to see what you end up with.
-Johnna
-Johnna Chism

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Anthony,
I think that its awesome you've created such a cool, retro, and fun design for the Roller Kingdom! I really like your first design because I think the color palette matches perfectly with the concept and although the second design portrays a retro feel as well, I think the first design layout is more bold and capturing to the eye. Something that I would maybe add is some elements from the original website, I would possibly consider adding photos from the interior or exterior of the building so that locals who are curious about the company can have a refresher as to what the building looks like because I think your layout really helps build the theme for the company! Hope that helps and awesome work! Looking forward to your final design! :D

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Anthony, great work. I like both designs a lot but slightly prefer the first. Both really give a roller rink vibe. The fonts and colors you used are very nice. My advice would be to play with visual alignment a bit.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey there Anthony! Great work on what you have done so far. I love the first design a whole lot. It feels fun and bright, and I think your color choices are well-considered. My only advice to you is to add some depth to the illustrations to get things popping off the background. You are doing great so far, I can't wait to check out the final!
Isaac M!

nancyrey143

Post by nancyrey143 »

Hi Anthony,

I really love these retro designs, it really does have the groovy feel of the 80s. I'm liking the first design a bit more,
the vinyl reminds me of the music that they play. I would make the home button smaller to not touch
roller kingdom, or add a color like the yellow you have. Overall, these look great ^v^
:)