Project 03 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
isaacm03

Project 03 Prelim

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey! My chosen website for this project is https://www.theworldsworstwebsiteever.com/ Be warned it is quite a awful thing to look at.

The website was obviously made as a joke, but I viewed it as an opportunity to try something completely different visually. The website is oddly wide and is full of outdated fonts, terrible margins, and everything in between. The sub-pages jokingly talk about color schemes, font usage, and software to use. (MS Paint seems to be their favorite.)

For my redesigns, I stayed with the modern theme for both because I liked the contrast between the 1995 website and the websites from today. I kept the bare bones of most of the body copy and removed some more unusual sentences and formatting. For the jokey subpages, I redid the content to be more serious to reflect what a "good" website should look like.

I still have a long way to go, but I wanted to get my bare bone ideas down while facing time constraints. The "TWWBW" stands for "The World's Worst Best Website" which is used somewhat frequently in the website. (They also use "TWWWE" just to confuse their audience even more. Wow, this really is a terrible site.)
Attachments
webdesign1a.jpg
webdesign1b.jpg
wedesign2a.jpg
webdesign2b.jpg
mobiledesign1a.jpg
mobiledesign1b.jpg
mobiledesign2a.jpg
mobiledesign2b.jpg
Isaac M!

bmeyer

Re: Project 03 Prelim

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Isaac! I like both of your designs! I like the second one more because I like the inclusion of a large image, and it also reminds me of like a magazine article. I think it would be cool if you added the nav bar from your first design into the second one. Good job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

Juan Lara

Post by Juan Lara »

Hello Isaac,

I really like the modern twist you gave this awful website! Your choice of typography really gives your designs a sophisticated and clean look that it desperately needed. I feel as if both of your set of layouts are easy to navigate and the body text is very legible. Good job! Personally, I'm gravitating toward your first set of layouts, although I think your second set are just as effective. Perhaps you could combine elements from both designs?
Juan J. Lara Ruelas

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Issac! Really nice job with both of these designs! I think I'm leaning more towards the first design, but I think both could definitely work. I think that if you added the lighter color blue that you have in the second design and placed it somewhere in the first design it could work really well. Really nice job.

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Good call on the modern theme, Isaac. It really paid off for you. I like your first design, with the high-contrast header, the best.

You've set yourself an interesting challenge here, making a deliberately bad website good. All the folks with Yale Art School can relate. I like your theme that they've decided to make the best website ever now. And yes, we all miss the JavaScript cursors. RIP. You've made it a nice clean layout here that's easy to read. You're letting your image do most of the heavy lifting design and color wise. And that's working well. The blue and white native colorscheme does a good job framing your images and providing good contrast without being too harsh. Nice choice of a clean sans-serif (Myriad?) for your type as well. I like the use of weight to establish hierarchy. Good use of margin throughout this thing, too. Everything has a nice bit of room to breathe.

I'd scoot over your bodycopy slightly to the left so that it matches the left edge of your headline on your computer layouts and either widen your bodycopy slightly or narrow your image slightly so that the right and left edges between the two match up on your mobile version.

Excellent work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Issac,
Holy cow that's a crazy site. I still don't get what they're trying to show me, but you have seemed to make sense of something there, so that's good :). At first glance, I'm partial to the 2nd design, but both could work really nicely. The 2nd design appears to be more like a periodical or news-based site and the cleanliness and hierarchy of everything is easy on the eyes. If I were to add anything, I might add a footer of some kind to anchor the site down? It may be worth a try.

-Johnna
-Johnna Chism

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Isaac,
I think you did a great job cleaning up the website and creating a more modern twist to it! Both designs look great! I really enjoyed the bold font and someone who is doing the Yale School of Art website, I can definitely relate when it comes to restrictions of trying to make the website better while still trying to stick with the concept or purpose of the website. Something that I think would help with the design would be to try your best to add some of the jokes to the website and try to stay true to concept of being the "worst website ever," it won't be easy but I believe in you! One thing that I could think of is using really ugly colors like they did but still make your modern elements the star of your layout. Hope that helps and great work! Looking forward to your final design! :D

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi Isaac!

You did an awesome job cleaning up this website, I can understand what I'm looking at! I like how you simplified the layout and stuck with a white background. I'm leaning more towards design 2 but I have to agree with my fellow peers, I also like how the nav bar adds division. Incorporating elements from both your designs would look awesome, can't wait to see the final!
~*Jenna*

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Issac, good work. I like both of the designs, but I slightly prefer the first one. Both designs are very clean and simplistic and it works very nicely. My advice would be to fill more of the negative space with the text and align the text with the images and the color boxes.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

kaiyote03

Post by kaiyote03 »

How goes thee Isaac!

Good clean work as always! The flow and layout for both your designs are really nice and smooth to navigate. Personally I am enjoying the designs with the header on top as it adds some sophistication to the somewhat simple design. It also works well with your hamburger icon to give it a way to be seen rather than it being randomly pinned up on the top right.

Good work so far! Keep it brother! (✿◡‿◡)
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ