Project three prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Erikatsukamoto

Project three prelim

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hello! The website I chose for this project is https://www.art.yale.edu/apply
The main problems that this website has is that it has zero organization or cohesion and lacks good design. I does have pretty interesting and cool designs in the background. For my first design, I tried to stick with the main background image that they have on the home page of the website because it definitely can work. For my second design, I went with the colors of the school and a photo of the school and worked around. My main goal was to make the website more organized and appealing to the eye.
Attachments
versoneweb-01.png
versoneweb-01.png (4.01 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers2webapply-01.png
vers2webapply-01.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers2web-01.png
vers2web-01.png (3.66 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers2phoneapply-01.png
vers2phoneapply-01.png (2.05 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers2phone-01.png
vers2phone-01.png (3.2 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers1webapply-01.png
vers1webapply-01.png (2.75 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers1phoneapply-01.png
vers1phoneapply-01.png (2.92 MiB) Viewed 622 times
vers1phone-01.png
vers1phone-01.png (3.76 MiB) Viewed 622 times
IMG_3277.jpeg
IMG_3276.jpeg
IMG_3275.jpeg
sitemapyale.png

bmeyer

Re: Project three prelim

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Erika! I love both of your designs! My favorite is the top blue one. It has a very modern and sophisticated feel to it, that I think works well for a college. I think it would be cool if the home page and the apply page had different images from each other. Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi Erika!

Awesome job on both your designs, the layouts are so much cleaner and easier to navigate. I'm leaning more towards design 1, because I really like the way the dark background is complimented by the bright yellow elements. I like that you kept some elements from the existing website, as it is for their art school. Only thing I would suggest is to give more space between the body text/button and the title. Overall, can't wait to see the final!
~*Jenna*

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Well you've certainly made it look better than whatever that weird art project bad website they have going on.

I like your Version 2 better. It looks much more professional.

I like the large campus picture you've chosen. It make it look like an educational website. I also like your use of opacity here as well. It adds visual interest in the whole website. I especially like the stair step transparency on the right side of the image on your homepage, pointing toward your bodycopy. I think that might be something to bring into your inner pages. Nice use of Yale's blue as well. It ties this mini-site in with the rest of the institution and creates nice contrast you can use to your advantage.

Your bodycopy seems like an undifferentiated blob. It needs hierarchy and some paragraph spacing. Right now it's all running together. Also, the small caps type looks like it's shouting at me. I'd recommend shrinking it all a point or two, addingn in lowercase type, and putting a little spacing in between your paragraphs. I'd also recommend adding in a little more left margin on the bodycopy of your inner page. Look at your home page as a good left margin ditance for the bodycopy.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Erika,
Nice job on both designs, I think you definitely met your goal on both of them. I like your 1st design a little better, the colors work well and the background grid is really cool. Maybe try to play with the text inside the boxes on the "Apply To Art School" page. I know this is just a rough, but the text gets broken up in weird places, which you probably didn't intend for it to do. I'd also try to bring the 2 text boxes closer together if possible. The 2nd/blue design is really nice too so I could see how you might go with that look, but again, I love the black and yellow colors of the first design.

-Johnna
-Johnna Chism

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Erika,
I also had the Yale School of Art website so it's really cool to see how somebody else re-designed the website in their style! I think that both designs are legible which is something the original website really lacked, so great job with that! My favorite design out of the two would be the second design (the black and yellow layout) because I think you stayed true to their original elements from their website but still managed to make it more professional for the users! Good job! Hope this helps and looking forward to your final design! :D

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Erika, Good work. I prefer the 2nd version as it looks very clean. I like the way you used the transparent black box for some of the text. My advice would be to stay away from the all caps fonts for the chunks of text.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

kaiyote03

Post by kaiyote03 »

Hi Erika,

I really enjoy both of your designs. Each has their own "style" and strengths. The blue design has a very professional feel to it and looks like your average school's website. This keeps things very simple and easy to read and not a cluster of stuff that would distract the eyes. A critique I have is that the buttons for navigation on the top are too spaced out and makes it very awkwardly hug the edge on the right, but not on the left.

For your second design it works well with the fact that it is a school for art. It has very nice texture and has more of that artsy vibe to it. The colors of the design are also nice and contrasting against each other. You still have the same problem with your nav buttons at the top so I would fix that.

Otherwise, a splendid job!
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey Erika!
Nice work here! I think I prefer the darker background versions for your site. The outlined letters are nice and aren't really clashing with the foreground. My only advice is to keep trying out different colors, as your yellow is very bright currently. Great work!
Isaac M!

nancyrey143

Post by nancyrey143 »

Hi Erika,
I love both designs, the second one is more professional looking but the first one I think fits a school of art better.
I would just add more of the yellow, possibly on the navs to show which page you're on. Overall, great job!
:)