Project 03 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
NMartz

Project 03 Prelim

Post by NMartz »

I decided to redo the band Cage The Elephant's website. I think the current website is not visually appealing and seems a bit disorganized. My goal was to enhance the visual aspects but also organize the content so that it is easier to navigate. Also each of those 5 boxes are supposed to be transparent logos for Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram and YouTube.
cte_web_rough_01.jpg
cte_mobile_rough_01.jpg
cte_mobile_rough_01_other_page.jpg
cte_web_rough_01_other_page.jpg
cte_web_rough_02.jpg
cte_mobile_rough_02.jpg
cte_web_rough_02_other_page.jpg
cte_mobile_rough_02_other_page.jpg
- Nick Martinez 8-)

bmeyer

Re: Project 03 Prelim

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Nick! I like both of your designs! I like the layout of your second design, but I like the colors and image from your first. I think it would be cool if you combined them by putting the band image into the layout with the music video. I would also make the nav bar font a little smaller. Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi there!

I personally love Cage The Elephant so this hits close to home, both your designs look awesome! I'm leaning more towards the first design, I really like the dark blue against the vibrant covers. I do like the additional elements in the header on the 2nd design, maybe incorporate elements from both into your final? Overall, awesome job!
~*Jenna*

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

No rest for the wicked, eh Nick?

I like your first design best. The dark blue really lets the colors of the various albums pop. It's almost like a scrapbook. It stays out of the way of the album covers and let's them stand alone. Nice arrangement of all your objects as well. Pretty decent margis between everything, so it all has room to breathe and does not feel over crowded. The layout is clean and simple and breaks down nicely from a computer layout into a mobile layout. I like the use of the header in your computer layout as a containing element for your arrangement on the bottom. Your type is well chosen and goes well with their typography on their album covers. One of the things that really surprises me about it is how good a headline and navigation type it makes. Your navigation is easy to see and use in spite of how thin it is. I think a lot of that is the light color on the dark background.

I'd recommend unifying the navigation placement and type on your computer layouts. You can either ditch the buttons on the home page and go hamburger menu, or ditch the hamburger menu on your inner page and go nav buttons. The choice is yours and both are equally valid. I'd also recommend taking down the album name caption type on your mobile inner page, so that all the album names were on one line.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Nick! Really nice job on your designs. These both look really good. I think if I had to chose I would pick the first design. I think that the image with the band is really clean and looks great. The only thing I would change is maybe seeing how a gradual fade would look from your image to the navy. Really nice job!

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Nick,
Great job on both designs. I'm kinda liking the 1st design better and I love how you played off the album cover with the square theme. When you get the social media icons in there, like you mentioned, maybe they could be more squarish too? Just an idea :)
-Johnna Chism

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hey Nick,
Both designs look good! I think using a simple design really helps balance the expressive imagery from the album covers! I think that an all black background from the first design brings a more bold look to your concept but something that I think would help it would be to add the idea of using the music video from the second design and try to find space to fit it to your first layout! Hope that helps and awesome work! Looking forward to seeing your final design! :D

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey Nick!
Nice designs you got here. I think I am leaning toward the first concept. I like the background image a lot and how you used type to fill up that space. I think you could make the logo boxes smaller and push them a bit together though, as they feel pretty big currently. Great stuff regardless.
Isaac M!

S_Osmar

Post by S_Osmar »

Hey Nick, I really like your first design the best because of the colors and your layouts, I like the album page and how you placed them on the page. I think that you could separate the two rows of albums on the website design to differentiate them and make it easier to read through. Nice work!

nancyrey143

Post by nancyrey143 »

Hi Nick,
I'm digging the layouts, but that blue on the first layout is catching my eye. I would just make the Nav placements even and the same size for some unity, but besides that, these look clean!
:)