Project 03 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
qcottel

Project 03 Prelim

Post by qcottel »

Hey Y'all!

https://www.art.yale.edu/
This is the website I was tasked with redesigning! https://www.art.yale.edu/ is a gag website that changes to another bad website each semester, so I decided that this year I can actually see some elements in the website that has something I can work with. Its a bit rough since there's a lot of info, but please let me know what you think!
Attachments
website_02_phone_community_board.jpg
website_02_phone.jpg
website_02_community_board.jpg
website_02.jpg
website_01_phone_community_board.jpg
website_01_phone.jpg
website_01_community_board.jpg
website_01.jpg
Quinn Cottel TMCC Student
quinn.cottel@gmail.com

bmeyer

Re: Project 03 Prelim

Post by bmeyer »

Hi! I like both your designs! The layout works super well and I like what you did with the header. I personally prefer the blue design, I think it’s easier on the eyes. My advice would be to add more white in the home page layout so the white box grabs your attention less. Good job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi Quinn!

Wow is that a night and day difference from the original! I like what you did with the layout, along with adding the header to break it up. They remind me of a highlighters in a good way :D I'm leaning more towards the blue design as the yellow is a bit much on my eyes, I would just make the body text a little bigger so it's easier to read. Overall, can't wait to see the final!
~*Jenna*

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your blue first design better. Even though there isn't a ton to differentiate it from your other design, I think the blue works better here.

I like your revised "SOA" logo. I think that's a strong touch up of their existing logo. The graph paper header is another strong choice. It provides good contrast to your content area as well as some visual interest to the whole website. It makes for a good cap too to your content area. You've got a ton of room for content below and I really like how the gradient looks paired with your graph paper above.

What it really needs is some campus pictures and some pictures of art done by the students. You clearly have room for it. I'd highly recommend googling up some similar looking campus pictures and student art and using those. Just as "examples" of their work. The other big need is some text hierarchy. That bodycopy is just one big ol' blob and desperately needs a bit of organization.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Quinn! Really nice job on these designs! I really like how you incorporated some of the actual Yale website into your designs with the black squares. I think I'm leaning more towards the first design, the blue looks really nice. If I were to change one thing I might add some shapes or pictures to fill in some of the black space. Really nice job!

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Quinn,
Both layouts look fairly similar, so if I had to choose, I'd go with the blue one. I like that your header makes a big statement in your design. Maybe that's something to can carry over to other content some how. You may want to check with Michael, but you may be able to pair down the information so that you don't have to "show everything" that the original site did. That may help with your layout a bit. Good work so far!

-Johnna
-Johnna Chism

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hey Quinn,
I think both designs are clean and legible! I really enjoyed your first design because although the second design reminds me of the original website more, the blue is visually more calming. Something that I think would help your design is to make it more expressive, I think you did a great job establishing a website that creates clear navigation but possibly playing with typography or adding more patterns or color would add more expressive elements to your design. Hope that helps and awesome work! Looking forward to your final design! :D

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Quinn, good work. I personally like the blue more. I like the fonts you are using. My advice would be to make the "Home, About the school etc.." text bigger on the web layout.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

kaiyote03

Post by kaiyote03 »

Hey there Quinn!

Your designs look really awesome! personally I like the blue color as it keeps that cool appearance of the school of art. Your mobile design has too much empty space towards the bottom so I would push up the size of the text to fill some space or add some new categories of just random text about the school.

Good stuff you got here!
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Lovely work as always Quinn! I think I am leaning toward the blue design as blue works a bit better with black than yellow. As for my critique, I think you should size up the body copy by a few points. Can't wait to check out the final!
Isaac M!