Spring 2023_Proj3 Prelim Crit_Reno Buggie Barn

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
YoAdrian!

Spring 2023_Proj3 Prelim Crit_Reno Buggie Barn

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hello,
I tried to keep it local and chose the Reno Buggie Barn as my "bad" website. I seriously doubt any of you are as scared as I am about coding, but I'm completely freaking out. So for this design, I litter tried to think "inside the box" to ease the pain of my sad (oh so sad) HTML and CSS newbie skill set. I have so many great ideas, but I need to rein them in so that I can attempt to make an actual website from scratch.

Reno Buggie Barn / Original Website Link
http://renobuggiebarn.com/index.html

I'm choosing to do the "Contact" page in addition to the "Home"/Landing page. The Reno Buggie Barn actually has a pretty cool logo with crazy vibrant colors. I decided to keep with those color themes and tried to celebrate the funky logo. In real life, I would try to take new photos of the auto shop and their current projects, which I may still take, but for now I'm just pretending that that's not possible and that I have to design from the ground up without having access to the actual business. Also, I do realize I need to work on the typeface for the 1st design (contact page), but I'm worried about what I'm actually able to do in HTML and CSS so I kept it simple with thick strokes and drop shadows for now. If I can figure it out in the future, I'll try to create my own hand-drawn typeface to match the mechanic shop's logo.

Anyways, thanks for looking, and any advice or help is MUCH appreciated (just remember the limited skill set part).

Rough #1
Proj 3 Rough1 - HOME - Web
Proj 3 Rough1 - HOME - Web
proj3-roughs-jmc_1a-home-web.png (2.55 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Proj 3 Rough1 - CONTACT - Web
Proj 3 Rough1 - CONTACT - Web
proj3-roughs-jmc_1b-contact-web.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Proj 3 Rough1 - HOME - Mobile
Proj 3 Rough1 - HOME - Mobile
Proj 3 Rough1 - CONTACT - Mobile
Proj 3 Rough1 - CONTACT - Mobile
Rough #2
Proj 3 Rough2 - HOME - Web
Proj 3 Rough2 - HOME - Web
proj3-roughs-jmc_2a-home-web.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Proj 3 Rough2 - CONTACT - Web
Proj 3 Rough2 - CONTACT - Web
proj3-roughs-jmc_2b-contact-web.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 622 times
Proj 3 Rough2 - HOME - Mobile
Proj 3 Rough2 - HOME - Mobile
Proj 3 Rough2 - CONTACT - Mobile
Proj 3 Rough2 - CONTACT - Mobile
-Johnna Chism

bmeyer

Re: Spring 2023_Proj3 Prelim Crit_Reno Buggie Barn

Post by bmeyer »

Hi! I really like both of your designs, but my favorite is the first one. I really like the gradient you did and their graphic logo looks super good! I also really like the font you used on the secondary page. My only advice would be to make the nav bar a bit bigger. Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi there!

The buggie barn logo does have some crazy colors, I think you did a great job on both designs playing off them! I'm gravitating more towards the first design, the purple/white gradient looks great against the purple/orange logo and the black/white text. It's super easy to navigate too! The only suggestion I could make is to center the "services" text with the rest. Overall, awesome job!
~*Jenna*

Juan Lara

Post by Juan Lara »

Hello,

Both of set of rough layouts are easy to navigate and the typeface you chose is perfectly legible and can provide a great sense of hierarchy if you use different weights throughout the design. Personally, I'd go with with the first set of roughs. My only suggestion is to tweak or work more with the gradient in the background, it looks a bit outdated (although, that's just a nitpick of mine). You really gave this website a lot more personality and visual appeal! Good job!
Juan J. Lara Ruelas

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Johnna! Really great job on both of these designs!! I think if I had to pick one I would pick the second one, however I really like the big buggie that you have with the first design. I would maybe try to incorporate the buggie somewhere in the second design and make it bigger than it is. Really nice job!

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

As much as you are furiously trying to climb back inside the box, you still managed a couple of good designs here. I'd go with your first one. I like the cleanliness of it's layout, and that cartoon bug is awesome!

The cartoon does a great job of drawing your eye and immediately establishes what this website's all about. Plus, it's just fun. Nice choice in colors as well. The purple, orange, white, and black work well together and contrast off each other nicely. This whole website uses contrast well, in fact. I was surprised that the black type didn't vanish into the purple, but the purple is just light enough to not mix with it. I love your logo too. It looks like a 1970's radio station logo, which fits with a custom Bug website. I like the callbacks to that with your custom font. The bold sans-serif font is working well for you too. Usually, they're a little shouty, but not this case.

The only real issue that I see is you need to add just a little more top margin between your footer type and the dividing line in your footer. Otherwise everything else looks okay.

Nice job!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hey Johnna,
Both designs are really clean but bold! Awesome job! I totally relate when it comes to how nervous HTML and css is going to be but you know what, I believe in you! I enjoyed your second design because it has a more modern feel to it and although the concept is vintage, when it comes to navigation and visual layout; I gravitated towards that design more. Something that I think would help would maybe move the buggie logo and make it bigger. Hope that helps and great work! Looking forward to your final design! :D

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Johnna, good work. I like both of your designs. I like the colors in both designs. I like how you found a font that went with their logo. Everything is working well. My advice would be to make the 'home, about, contact, services" slightly bigger.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

kaiyote03

Post by kaiyote03 »

Howdy Johnna!

As always your designs are awesome! The first design is quite simple but I think it works in good contrast with the unique logo that the business has. The line at the bottom also works really well of separating the design with the contact info really well. The info on the bottom though should be centered instead of squeezing closer to the top.

The second design works really well with the "vibe" of the company. The monochrome theme of the pages works really well of showing off some of those older 90's custom car companies that I have seen about. The layout of the pages flows really well and the giant "CONTACT" works really well with getting a viewers eyes down the page properly.

Good work as always! Can't wait to see which design you finalize! o(* ̄︶ ̄*)o
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hi!
I'm really liking both of your layouts. I think I am leaning toward the first layout because it feels more unique than the second one. I'm a fan of the drawings, and my only advice is to mess around with the nav bar a bit more. It feels a bit small currently. Great work as always.
Isaac M!