Project 1 - Final

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
YoAdrian!

Project 1 - Final

Post by YoAdrian! »

Helloooo!
Thanks for taking a look at my final design. Based on popular demand...by 2 votes...I chose to go with the spider drawings. I removed the "project 2" and "3" scribble buttons and just added a "projects" button instead. Changing the color of the "buttons" to yellow helped them stand out a bit more since people didn't seem to like the confusing gray squiggle numbers (which I totally agree with).

Did it "Solve the Project?"
I think my design translates well from web to mobile while keeping the same hand-drawn feel and "solves the project" by incorporating all the elements necessary and in a pleasing way that fits with the page's overall theme. I spent way too much time re-arranging the layout to try and balance things visually, but I think it'll make more sense when we actually incorporate drop-down menus from the hamburger navigation buttons.

2 Useful Information Websites:
https://www.greenmellenmedia.com/profes ... beginners/
I'm more used to the "plug and play" type of website apps out there, so this article helped me think about designing a site for a SUPER beginner level.

https://www.constantcontact.com/blog/bu ... -scratch/
This quick article helped me think about my design and my viewers a little bit more. What am I trying to achieve? Who's my audience? It also had several other links attached which lead me down a giant rabbit hole of information, for better or worse.

Project 1 Final Design
Proj. 1 Final - Web
Proj. 1 Final - Web
grc175-proj1-final-jc_final-1_web.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 433 times
Proj. 1 Final - Mobile
Proj. 1 Final - Mobile
-Johnna Chism

Juan Lara

Re: Project 1 - Final

Post by Juan Lara »

Hello Johnna,

I really like the way your final layouts turned out. I especially like how well you managed to capture the same essence and style from your web version and portray it on the mobile version without just stacking the elements one on top of the other, good job! My only suggestion is to make your name a little bolder, or making it a different weight, to further establish hierarchy within you typographic elements. Aside from that, I believe you solved the objective of this project effectively.
Juan J. Lara Ruelas

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

HA! The spiders! Always fun to see these guys.

The sheer whimsy of this one brings a smile to my face. They're rocking color coded Chucks. I wonder what the shoe budget is when you have to buy four pairs. I'm grateful for my two legs thankyouverymuch. I love the whole hand drawn zany cartoon feel. It's very inviting and makes me wnat to explore deeper into the website. I like how clean it is too. Your using the hand drawn aesthetic, plus a few splashes of color to do a lot of lifting here and it's working. Your splashes of color are well chosen and you've managed to make TMCC's awful green look decent, which is no mean feat, let me tell you. I like the sketch looking font as well. It completes the whole "ripped from a notepad" feeling of this thing. Even your hamburger navigation is a lil' sketch! You ought to make a sketch version of the TMCC logo for the Project Two version of this thing. Because it's so clean everything is super legible. And, because of the handwriting font, it's super legible as well. You've made yourself an overgrown thumbnail, in the best way possible.

The only real weakness it has is that the bodycopy is just kinda' there. I'm not sure if well get far enough into CSS to rotate things by the time you guys are building this one into a real website, but I think a slight diagonal rotation of your bodycopy would be fun.

Great work!

BTW, I hope the VCR in your combo-TV works. That's what ate those alive back in the day. I likes me some oldschool transparent technology. Clear case everything ahoy.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey Johnna!
You made some great choices since the last critique. I think reducing the project buttons to just one button really helps open up some space. Changing the color was a great call too. I really like your website, and how it reflects you. It's creative and I love the spiders! (I despise all spiders, so this is a shocker!) As Michael said, I think the body copy needs a bit more work. Everything is so dynamic, that it makes the body copy stand out from everything else. I'm not sure what you could do, but perhaps rotations could help! Or maybe include little subheaders in your body copy that are using that same scribble font? I'm jealous of this one. Awesome work! :D
Isaac M!

kelseymarie_ba

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Johnna,
I think your final design is awesome! I love the characters you've created and the use of the "sketchy" look really stands out to me! Something you can considering changing is maybe moving the TMCC logo further to the left or right! Hope that helps! Great work! :D

Kelsey Bautista

Hinata_Sato

Post by Hinata_Sato »

Hi Johnna!
First of all, thank you for choosing this design! I love the style you have and I'm pretty sure it represents your personality through the illustration and the typestyle you chose. I think the colors and illustration are working really well with the fonts you chose and I really like how you made your illustrations stand out. I also like how you make the buttons stand out by making the lines in the back too! They're a lot easier to see now and I think you have a nice accent to the style. Maybe I will make the yellow more pastel to make them blend with the style you have. Great work!
Hinata Sato

lil_cactux

Post by lil_cactux »

I love how these designs turned out! Your personality and artistic vision really shine in these layouts. Well done!

S_Osmar

Post by S_Osmar »

Hi Johnna,
I absolutely love the style you went with on your website, everything works so well! The drawing style and the way you incorporated the buttons into the designs of the drawings. Maybe you could make the shadows under the buttons a bit darker or maybe make it look like the shapes of the letters themselves. You did a really good job, keep it up!
Last edited by S_Osmar on Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Johnna! This design looks sick!! Really nice job, I really like the spider design that you ended up choosing. This website looks so fun and the colors work really well together. The only thing I would change is on your phone design I would change the stroke size on "projects" to match "resources". Love this design, really nice job!

kaiyote03

Post by kaiyote03 »

Howdy Doo Johnna!

I LOVE THIS DESIGN SO MUCH! I really enjoy how the scribbles now encapsulate the text to bring everything together in this design. I also like the yellow color usage as it really pops off from the background and makes it very apparent that these are clickable buttons. Your little characters also add lots to the theme and give good color that not only pop off from the background but also contrast each other.
My only critique I have of this design is that I wish you had a bit more serif~yy font for your body copy but it really isn't that much of an issue.

Superb Job on this design!!!! \^o^/
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ