Project01 Preliminary

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
S_Osmar

Project01 Preliminary

Post by S_Osmar »

Hi class,
Here are the roughs for my websites and mobile site designs. I wanted to keep things a lot more minimalistic and simple, using only one color throughout and having the only picture be the picture of myself, although at the moment I couldn't find a good one of myself so I used an old one of myself to give the general feel of the image and where it's going to be. I had some inspiration from the Instagram website, just because I enjoy the feel and look of the website. I wanted to have everything easy to access and read on this page, so instead of making the "About me" text blue with the rest of the website, I just kept it in black to help make it more legible. I also just went with my intuition throughout the designing process and I really enjoy how this came out personally, but I would love to get critiques and advice on things that I could change and improve on!
mobile_rough2.png
mobile_rough2.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 499 times
mobile_rough.png
mobile_rough.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 499 times
website_rough2.png
website_rough2.png (884.02 KiB) Viewed 499 times
website_rough.png
website_rough.png (985.07 KiB) Viewed 499 times

kelseymarie_ba

Re: Project01 Preliminary

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Osmar,
I really enjoyed the first design, I think that it has a clean layout and legible text! Something that you can play with to help elevate your layout would be to change the “Resources” font to another San Serif font, possibly the same font you used in your navigation bar. I think it’ll help blend that area more! Hope that helps, can’t wait to see what you make this semester! Good luck! :D

Kelsey Bautista

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hello Osmar!

I love the initial layouts you have going on. I think the blue is pleasant to look at and contrasts well with the white. Great job on the color selection! If I had to offer you any changes, I think you could change the type on the buttons to something that blends in with the rest of the project more, such as the font used for "GRC 175 WEB DESIGN SPRING 2023". I'm only saying this because the typeface now seems a bit more cartoonish than everything else. Also, increasing the margins on the about me section and turning off hyphenation will increase the professional look. Good luck, and I can't wait to check out the final!
Isaac M!

keatonbeatty

Post by keatonbeatty »

Osmar,

I really like your designs, and the blue color you chose as well! I think your layouts are working well too and I love your personal logo/branding at the top of the first set. I think maybe removing the white box behind your type and muting that blue a bit would help make your design more dynamic and less "structured" with it still being pretty structured if that makes sense lol. Also maybe limit your typefaces used, it looks like you have three to me and it makes the eye work a bit too hard to take in the information. Overall I think both of these solutions show your personality as a designer quite well, and I am excited to see the final result!
~ keaton beatty

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Osmar,
I love your 1st layout for the mobile and the 2nd layout for the website. I like how you found a pleasing way to incorporate all the text and information that was required (TMCC logo, space for links ect.) and I like the pill-shaped buttons, very retro. If this were my project, I'd try to get away from the white text box for the main paragraph describing yourself. For me, the white text box can sort of seem like you forgot the paragraph and just stuck it in there at the last second. A lighter shade of blue could work, or maybe remove the white box, use white type with a tiny drop shadow to help it stand out? So many possibilities! Good work!
-Johnna Chism

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Osmar,
I love your 1st layout for the mobile and the 2nd layout for the website. I like how you found a pleasing way to incorporate all the text and information that was required (TMCC logo, space for links ect.) and I like the pill-shaped buttons, very retro. If this were my project, I'd try to get away from the white text box for the main paragraph describing yourself. For me, the white text box can sort of seem like you forgot the paragraph and just stuck it in there at the last second. A lighter shade of blue could work, or maybe remove the white box, use white type with a tiny drop shadow to help it stand out? So many possibilities! Good work!
-Johnna Chism

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Uh oh! I get to be that guy. The customer who likes a little mix and match from your roughs. I like your second rough mobile layout and the top bar of your second computer layout, but I like the content and navigation layout of your first computer layout.

Nice use of contrast throughout your designs. The blue and white work together very nicely without becoming too harsh. I especially like your choice of blue it's very cooling. Good font choices as well. Your sans-serif provides a clean base and then the rounder type helps your navigation visually stand out. Your navigation is easy to see and use. You've got good use of margin between objects (less so within them). Good room to breathe between all objects. Nice use of alignments on several of your edges. They really do a good job of creating shapes and edges that aren't there. Love the matching baselines as well. You've got a good layout sense.

I don't think your bodycopy needs to be in white boxes. I think white type on a blue background would work just fine for you. Also, check the margins between the type in your buttons and the edge of the button, especially at the bottom. They're a little tight. I'd shrink the text in there just a little bit. I'd also widen your top bar just a little bit so it's the same width as your content.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi!
I like both of your designs but I think I like your bottom computer design the best. I like the layout and I think the color scheme works well!
My advice would be to add your contact info somewhere. I also think it would be cool if the box with your paragraph in it was slightly opaque. Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Osmar,
I like both of your roughs. I definitely prefer your first mobile rough over your second. I prefer the spread out text over the bunched up text. I also prefer your first web layout over the second. The layout in the first rough looks very organized and clean. I do like the white curved shape at the top of the second web rough. It goes nicely with the shapes around the projects. As others have suggested I would also consider removing that white box surrounding the text and make the text white or just make it transparent. Good job.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Oscar! I really like your second design! I think the layout is really nice. I might try incorporating some shapes or something to the background to make it pop but otherwise nice job.