Project One Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
qcottel

Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by qcottel »

Hey Yall!

https://2020.andreasantonsson.dev/
https://www.treyhardin.com/
https://dirtylinestudio.com/

The top two websites were really the inspiration for my websites, but the third is quite interesting because I like how they coded their headline for the website and how they advertise the fonts that they have for sale, definitely worth checking out!
Anyway, here are my Designs, lmk what yall think!
Attachments
Phone website
Phone website
website_02.jpg
Phone website
Phone website
website_01.jpg
Quinn Cottel TMCC Student
quinn.cottel@gmail.com

kelseymarie_ba

Re: Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hey Quinn,
I really enjoyed the duo-tone look for your second design and the overlapping for your type in your first design! My favorite design might be the second one, I think you did great with layout design and alignment and the orange color was more interesting and engaging for me! If you want, you can play with a dark tint of that orange and make a rectangle to create a text frame and change the opacity of it to let your body copy stand out more. Hope that helps, can't wait to see what you make this semester! Good luck! :D

Kelsey Bautista

S_Osmar

Post by S_Osmar »

Hey Quinn,
I really like what you've got here, I think making the picture the same color as the background really makes it blend in a lot better and ties your elements in really well. I think you should go with that style and do them with all the images if you can or if it's necessary. I think you should make some sort of white box to make some of the text more legible since it's a little hard to read against the colored background. Nice work!

keatonbeatty

Post by keatonbeatty »

Hey Quinn,

I really like both of your designs and think the colors you chose really complement who you are as a designer. The first set is speaking more to me just because of the fun type you used for your name! If anything I would change the layout of your web design so that your name comes first then your picture and the about you paragraph, just so it's easier on the eyes to read in the natural left-to-right way. Also maybe adding in another accent color, if you're going for the same color group even a really pale yellow to compliment the bright hue and add some more dimension to your design. The second one is cool too, I like the duotone concept in the second design and think it's a cool and unique way to solve the problem, I just really like the use of the expressive type in the first design lol.
Anyways, I'm excited to see the end result along with all the other things you create for this class this semester!
~ keaton beatty

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Quinn,
Nice to meet you! I'm really loving how you made your name one of the main features of your 1st design. It'd be really cool to see that incorporated with he 2nd design, especially with the duotone look you have. You've done a great job getting all the required elements into your web/mobile sites too. The simplicity gives each design the feel of being spacious even though you filled most of the areas with the photos or text which is interesting to look at. The photo in your 2nd design looks a little distorted or stretched. It's be cool to see how your 1st design looks with the duotone photo? It might be worth a shot. Oh, and maybe get rid of the text box boarder around your paragraph in the 2nd design, or if you're going to keep the box outline, try to put it somewhere else too so it doesn't appear to be an afterthought or forgotten box. Nice job Quinn!
-Johnna Chism

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, I'm all about the bread colored layout, Quinn.

It's such a clean design and functions as such a great presentational area for your image. I like that you've tied the background color to the bread you're making in the picture. Hollowing out your name and overlapping it with the picture adds a great bit of visual interest and texture. Good use of margins throughout your layout. everything has room to breathe. Your type is clean and works together as a whole. You have a strong sense of alignment in this composition, I see lots of invisible edges and an invisible frame a little ways in from the edge. I can find you navigation and it seems easy to use.

I'd make all the type except for your name a little bolder so it's a little easier to read. I'm not sure your nav needs to be spread across the top in your computer layout either.

Nice work! Now I want to go bake some bread and it's all your fault.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Quinn! I really like what you have going with the second design! I think that the orange color that you chose looks really good. However, I think you should try messing with different and funkier fonts to really make this design pop, along with maybe adding some shapes or patterns in the background. I like the second design as-well, especially the font you chose for your name. I might try incorporating that font in with your second design and seeing how that looks. Overall, really nice job!

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Quinn!
I like both of your designs! I like the first one slightly more because I think the color would be easier to focus on. I also really like the expressive font used for your name, it's super cool!
My only advice is to make the titles like Contact larger so they're easier to see. Good Job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey Quinn!

I really like both layouts so far, there are great things in both. For the yellow layout, I am a huge fan of both the outlined type and the use of hierarchy here. My eyes definitely follow a path and I think that can be hard to do. For the second layout, I love the white-on-red contrast, it just works so well and I think will be great on a site. If I had to offer any advice, I'd say you should use the red background on the yellow design, to increase contrast just a bit. Keep up the good work, the final will be sick!!
Isaac M!

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Quinn,
I personally like the yellow rough more. I think you could add some shapes or lines to it like you did in the second one to make it more interesting and separate some of the content. I also think the text in the mobile rough overlapping with the image makes it less legible. On the web layout I would suggest making the Project Resource and Contacts bigger and closer together. Good work
- Nick Martinez 8-)