Project one preliminary critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Erikatsukamoto

Project one preliminary critique

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

https://fireart.studio/blog/modern-webs ... a-website/
https://teddyfresh.com
Hello! I found these two websites to be inspirational for my four different web designs. The first website that is here, I found to be inspirational not in the website itself necessarily but in the examples that they provided. There were many examples on this website that I was able to grab inspiration from in my own designs. For my second website, teddy fresh, I found this website useful for the different colors in the font as they have done in their websites.
Attachments
Iphone2.png
Iphone2.png (5.48 MiB) Viewed 314 times
bleh.png
bleh.png (2.25 MiB) Viewed 314 times
iphone.png
iphone.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 314 times
web.png
web.png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 314 times

kelseymarie_ba

Re: Project one preliminary critique

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Erika,
I like the photo you've chosen for your first layout! I think that it really pops out! I'm not sure if you are, but seeing an image of trees expects me to think that you maybe enjoy nature or you're into natural and lively concepts as a designer! :D
Something that might help with your design is making the font for your header/name a more organic font style. I think that it might match better with your design layout. Hope that helps, can't wait to see all your work during this semester! Good luck!

Kelsey Bautista

kaiyote03

Post by kaiyote03 »

Greetings Erika!

Im really enjoying your second set of designs as it has a lot of funk and personality in it. The text with your name is getting drowned out in the background so I would change the color up a bit or flip the order that the colors are in currently so that the red part pops out on the right and hopefully the drowned out colors become visible.

For your first set of designs I think you should play with the placement of your email as it hugs close to the wall. I think adding a footer like you have in the second design to your first design could help break up the forest picture a bit and you could even squish in your contact methods on the bar just in case you ever wanted to add more than just your email.

I really am enjoying these layouts and look forward to the finished versions! Grazie!
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Kai Madden just backflipped ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

keatonbeatty

Post by keatonbeatty »

Erika,
I think both of your designs are working well, and I love the colors and photos you used in your designs! My eye is more drawn to the first set of designs, I like the trees with the type you chose as well. The expressive type is hard to use and can be tricky in web design. I think maybe pairing your cool typeface for the header with a more simple type for the body copy will help the hierarchies within your composition. I think also instead of putting a box around your paragraph, maybe tone down the opacity of your background to make it a subtle pattern in the background, that way your type will stand out more and be more incorporated into your layout, I am excited to see more of your work as the semester continues!
~ keaton beatty

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Erika,
I like where you're headed with these two designs. At first glance, I loved the 1st one, but the more a stared at the 2nd one to more I loved it. It may be cool to change the tree background you have in your 2nd design to a duotone to match the mauve and maroon color schemes. The texture of the tree background is definitely cool and worth keeping. The hierarchy of your text sizes is work pretty well, but it'd be fun to see it pushed even further so that your eyes are drawn to your designs vs. the words. Good work getting all the items in the designs, you could take both of these is so many directions. I can't wait to see how they evolve.
-Johnna Chism

jjkusler

Post by jjkusler »

Hi Erika!

I love the colors you chose for your designs, the green is really nice on the eyes. I really like your first layout, it's simple and the easy to navigate although your second one really caught my attention! The layout itself is nice, I would just play around with the font colors and different fonts for the body text. Toning town the opacity of the pink rectangle could help your background pop through a little. I can't wait to see your work this semester!
~*Jenna*

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh that first one's really cool, Erika. As much as I love the geometric shapes in your second one, that background image is just compelling.

That forest background image does such a good job of establishing tone on this layout and providing a nice visual texture. It's just so relaxing to look at. And you totally leaned into it with your color choices. Pulling colors straight from it really ties the rest of your composition into it. The gradient in your header really softens the whole thing up as well. Nice choice of title font as well. It's very fun and seems to work well with the light filtering through the trees in your photo. The header does a good job of framing the entire layout. Makes for a generally relaxing design.

Watch your padding (the distance between the edge of your content and it's container) on your green text container box. It's pretty close. Speaking of that container box. I think it'd look pretty good semi-transparent to let some of that awesome background photo show through. I'd probably swap the slab-serif header font out and replace it with your bodycopy font. I think that header font is one too many. You can play with weights to establish hierarchy if you want. I'm curious to see where you put your navigation.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hey Erika!

I love both of your design sets. I am leaning more towards the first set, as the typeface and the imagery work really well at establishing a playful theme. The second layout is very cool, and I like the square line design going on. However, I think your last name starts to blend too far into the background. For the top layout, I think you could decrease the font size and increase the margins of the rectangle. You have a lot of room to play with, but the body copy feels very cramped right now. I can't wait to see where you take this. Best of luck!
Isaac M!

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Erika,
I personally like the first one more. I think it works nicely. I like the design you made with shapes in the second rough. I think if you go with the second one definitely change the font color because it is interfering with the background. Good work
- Nick Martinez 8-)

nancyrey143

Post by nancyrey143 »

Hi Erika,
I'm digging the design of the second layout a bit more, just because
of the color scheme. I would just make the first o a bit lighter to not blend in with the background.
Overall, great job.
:)