Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
jjkusler

Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by jjkusler »

Hi everyone!

My name is Jenna and here are my inspo + resource links/roughs for this project:

https://www.pillarsbrewery.com/?ref=uijarcom
https://uijar.com/websites/6907-gumroad
https://skeletongoods.com/

https://www.wix.com/blog/2017/10/5-desi ... onal-site/
https://xd.adobe.com/ideas/principles/w ... -design-2/

I chose these websites as inspo for my homepage because I like how they each portray different layouts with a minimalistic feel. I like websites with a illustrative undertone, along with interesting typefaces.
I designed both layouts with a grid in mind, I knew I wanted to keep a clean and organized look with a fun accent. I'm still trying to figure out what to do over by the resource section, I included the links for now but that's why this is a draft 8-)

Here's my first design roughs (Web/Mobile):
Design 1 Mobile
Design 1 Mobile
Design 1 Web
Design 1 Web
Here's my second design roughs: (Web/Mobile):
Design 2 Mobile
Design 2 Mobile
Design 2 Web
Design 2 Web
Feedback much appreciated, can't wait to see everyone elses :)
~*Jenna*

kelseymarie_ba

Re: Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by kelseymarie_ba »

Hi Jenna,
The enjoyed the cloud photos for the background, they have really pretty colors! The shapes and imagery that you've added to your design layouts are cool and really stand out! I think that something that could help with your layouts would maybe play with no outlines for your text frames, I think that it would help your shapes (the melting blobs and the flower vine) stand out more and allow the text frames to better blend with your design. Hope that helps, can't wait to see what you make during the semester! Good luck! :D

Kelsey Bautista

keatonbeatty

Post by keatonbeatty »

Jenna,
I really like both your designs and the colors you chose. I'm gravitating toward the first one because of the organic more graphic shapes against the photographic background. I think right now your layouts are working but are super simple and kind of lack flow. I wonder what would happen if you got rid of the black outlines, and worked with transparency in your backgrounds to make them a little less prominent and the type more at the forefront. Overall I love your designs and am super excited to see what designs you make as the semester progresses!
~ keaton beatty

YoAdrian!

Post by YoAdrian! »

Hi Jenna,
It's nice to meet you. I like where you're going with these designs, I see so many possibilities. Personally, if you love to doodle, then I'd say go with the 2nd design since it has the doodle details with the leaf wavy lines, or maybe add a few of your own (or wait, are these your own??). Looks like you incorporated all the required elements, but I would try to look at the layout of your text boxes a littler more, especially on the mobile version. Maybe try the simple scrolling method and have your image stacked on top of the boxes? If you can find a cool way to stay away from the boxes, that may look even better. Maybe try to use your artwork to frame your text and your images vs. putting them in a box? Just an idea, do as you like :). Nice work so far Jenna.
-Johnna Chism

Juan Lara

Post by Juan Lara »

Hello Jenna,

I really like the color schemes in both of your layouts. The elements on the first set of designs are the most appealing in my opinion and I see a lot of potential if you experiment with other typefaces to create a more interesting and appealing page. Keep it up.
Juan J. Lara Ruelas

bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Hi Jenna!
I really like both of your designs but I think I'm drawn to the orange one more. I really like the color scheme and the doodle-type drawings. It's super cute!
My feedback would be, for where your name is to either get rid of the black box or to make it opaque like the tan boxes, it seems a little out of place. I also think it would be cool if you took the expressive font from the first design and put it in the orange design. Lastly, I think for the mobile design your picture could be a tad bigger. Good job!
-Bella
Bella Meyer

:shock: :shock:

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'd say go with your first one, Jenna. That roiling sunset storm cloud is pretty darn perfect.

What really sets it off are the purple and orange gradation of colors. It really establishes a tone for your whole composition here. The puffiness of the clouds makes for a great visual texture for the whole thing. Your use of fluffy Cooper type as your name and headline type is an inspired choice. It compliments the fluffiness of the clouds quite nicely. Good use of margin throughout this thing. Every piece of it has room to breathe. It has generally pretty good contrast too. Your navigation is easy to see and use.

My big issue with the layout is that there's just too many boxes here. I think you can pitch like 90% of your boxes, containers, blocks, etc. and be just fine. Your background image is dark enough that I think you can make your type white and it will pop out just fine against the clouds, maybe with just a hint of drop-shadow. Also, your fluffy cloud shape is great, but black is entirely the wrong accent color here. I'd recommend a dark purple or orange taken from your cloud photo. You don't need to have your whole link in your buttons either, you can just have a button that says what the website is and a link that points where you want to go. The only box like structure I think I'd keep is to leave the lines above and below the class info, but make them white and the box transparent. That way you have two lines going from left to right above and below the class info. That'd make for a great separator between your content and your header. Use that fluffy name type for your "About Me ...", "Resources", and "Projects" headers and subheads too.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

isaacm03

Post by isaacm03 »

Hello Jenna!

Nice work so far! I like the images you chose for the background, they create a very nice pleasing design. I feel very happy looking at your website, which I think is what you were going for. I am leaning more towards the second layout more than the first, as I think the image is a bit more subtle and allows the other information to shine in the foreground. I enjoy the typefaces you went with, and if I had to offer you any advice, I'd say you should reduce the stroke around the project box in the first layout, and you could also tint the boxes to a very light blue, yellow, or orange! I can't wait to see the final!
Isaac M!

NMartz

Post by NMartz »

Hello Jenna,
I like the first one more. That background is very cool. I like the colors you used. Everything blends together nicely. My suggestion would be to use more of the empty space. Good job.
- Nick Martinez 8-)

Erikatsukamoto

Post by Erikatsukamoto »

Hey Jenna! I really like both of your designs. I might try messing with the layout to make it a little bit easier to navigate for the first design but otherwise nice job