Project04 Prelim

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
James Hill

Project04 Prelim

Post by James Hill »

Hello Fellow Class and Michael,
For this projects I found it hard not to make my own design look like the original as it was done so well. I tried to minimalize the site for the sheer fact that I know that I have to recreate the site so I want it to be easy. Also I designed it this way because I felt like the real site has alot of fluff. Though some of the areas important. These designs can be seen as a shrunken version of what I would design if I had to fill it out more. This is just a miniture version. I also find that in the final I will add more stuff but want to put pen to paper first to see how it all works. 8-)

TMCC_work04.jpg
TMCC_work03.jpg
TMCC_work02.jpg
TMCC_work01.jpg

Cole_Richards

Re: Project04 Prelim

Post by Cole_Richards »

I really like your second design, for the enroll button I would use the same font you're using elsewhere, I really like the layout and color though!
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your second layout better, James. It feels like a better realization of your simplifying design ethic than your first one. It feels very clean and professional. You use your header and footer well. They make for some great content framing devices. I also like the use of the green as a highlight and call to action color rather than a main color. Good image choices as well. They're fun and illustrate campus life. Outside of your footer, you use margin and padding really well on this design. Everything has room to breathe. I have no problem reading your bodycopy. You navigation is easy to see and use.

I'd recommend doing your bodycopy in a sans-serif type of some sort to match your navigation and headlines. Your footer is a little crowded. It needs some margin and padding. You can also extend your text laterally in multiple columns if need be.

Nice job!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi James!

These two concepts scream TMCC instantly and look great! Right off the bat though I am more drawn to your second set of designs mainly because I feel the first set with the green bars intersecting and running down the entire layout makes it all feel a bit busy/crowded. I feel with your second set, there is a lot more room to breath and for the eye to flow down the page from section to section. I could see the argument that the bars lead the eye more in set 1 but I feel your section to section background colors do that just as well if not better and it just allows for more balance overall across the whole page.

In short, my vote is definitely to pursue set 2. :) Either way though you have a super strong start here and I am excited to see which layout you move forward with and expand on/bring to life!

Great work! Keep it up! :)

Best,
Zach

Mike_Chavez123

Post by Mike_Chavez123 »

Ha wizard, enjoy the great work I do.

kpargs

Post by kpargs »

Hi James, I like what you did, good job on cutting the fluff, keeping important info, and making more interesting to look at
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

I like the second set of designs, it's screams TMCC and has a lot of the qualities of the original design incorporated into the site. The one thing that is a little off when I look at it is, why a split navigation instead of spanning the whole bar and giving the buttons a little breathing room? Also, is the button for enroll a different font or a different version of the font you used in the nav bar? that being said its a a solid design and I can't wait to see where you go with it. Best of luck.
James P. Cowan

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

I like your first set of designs cause of that green border around it but maybe make it a touch thinner, so it isn't too thick or distracting. Ultimately it's up to you, but I think you should go with your first set of designs cause it is fun looking.
But if you want a more professional vibe, go with the second one.
The second one has just the right amount of professionalism mixed with fun, thanks to the colors it has on it combined with the layout of the whole thing looking like an official tmcc website. This is up to you regarding what you choose to do and what sort of feeling you are going for.
Samantha Thomas

Ericha Eberhart

Post by Ericha Eberhart »

Hi! I like your second design, it is very clean and organized with good sectioning. I think I would find some more GRC-relevant images to really make the site more GRC and not just TMCC. Solid start!
-Ericha Eberhart :D

lilykmitch

Post by lilykmitch »

hi james
i like your second design it has a clean and easy-to-navigate look. I also like all the pictures you are using it all goes together nicely.
Lily Mitchell :geek: