project IV preliminary

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Megan Greaves

project IV preliminary

Post by Megan Greaves »

So I had already typed all this out then I got logged out halfway through so when I clicked "Submit" it made me sign in and rewrite it. Fun times.

But the gist of what I said before was "my work sucks this time but it's on time".
desktop.jpg
desktop2.jpg
The first design was based on a thing I did for another project where I designed it to look like a corkboard, but this time I went with a whiteboard theme with the writing meant to look like a marker and the images are stuck to the whiteboard with magnets.

These mobile versions kind of worked out but the background image I stretched and its terrible. If I go this route I will fix that.
mobile.jpg
mobile2.jpg
The second design was created to try to avoid the rectangles layout and draw on some more diagonals like I did with a few things in the past but instead I had a stroke. I'm not sure what I would do if I went with this one but I'm digging the triangle pictures (circles are so last year) so that element will stay.
desktop3.jpg
desktop4.jpg
These mobile versions are an absolute tragedy and for that reason, I don't know if this design will work. If someone has ideas to fix them I would love to hear it, because I got really attached to the triangles.
mobile3.jpg
mobile4.jpg
Other than that I can't remember what I said before, but I'll add now that lots of constructive criticism is appreciated; I struggled a bit with this one. I'm totally fried right now as it is.

Cole_Richards

Re: project IV preliminary

Post by Cole_Richards »

These look awesome! I think your second design is going in a great direction, i might use the actual tmcc green, it seems a bit bright right now, I would just keep the same color scheme for the mobile versions, and centering the bottom navigation might help being cohesiveness to the design, great start!
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

Mike_Chavez123

Post by Mike_Chavez123 »

Great view outstanding keep it up

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi Megan!

Wow - two similar yet very different concepts in terms of execution here. Great work on both of these! :)

In terms of similarity, overall structure and layout is pretty similar with these but then in terms of imagery and color usage and use of angles, they're VERY different from one another. Although the second set grabbed my attention instantly with it's bold neon green and lack alternating colors, it quickly made me realized that is eye catch as that layout is, it'd be very hard to stare at for longer period of time if you were trying to discern information from the site, mainly because of there being so much alteration between very loud/opposite contrasting colors that it almost feels trippy, both in a good way lol but also not good if like I said, the user is trying to gather information. Ultimately this leads me to suggest that perhaps your first set is the one you should proceed forward with. Although it isn't as exciting as the second set, it does a really beautiful job at allowing the content to breath and its very relaxing to look at on the eyes. You also used a perfect hero image shot of the TMCC campus/Reno skyline and the information below is is organized very nicely. Also bravo on your carry over to mobile for your first set - it maintains the integrity of the desktop version whilst moving things in a seamless manner to fit the mobile format.

In shorter terms, I vote option 2! But either way great work on both of these first concepts and I look forward to seeing what you go with and build upon for the final site. Keep it up!

Best,
Zach

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

I think I would go with the second design THe colors and the fonts and everything makes it look so attractive.
For the mobile version of the design, I would take the picture you overlayed with it and put it in the section where the white mainly shows the building. Then give it the white tint to keep that color on and have the picture without it being too distracting. Then in the open green area, you can put the menu options.
Samantha Thomas

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I am 100% Confused Fry from your faculty page. No doubt.

Curses! My love of skeuomorphism strikes again! I'm all about that faux-whiteboard first design. All the little details on it really do a great job of selling the concept. My favorite bit is the markers and eraser in the bottom center. The whole layout is actually a super simple design that clearly made to collapse easily. Where it really shines though is hiding it's simplicity with skeuomorphism. All the little graphics do a great job of distracting us like babies looking at shiny keys. Great use of margin and padding throughout. It's right at the upper limit, but it does NOT fragment. Your navigation is easy to see and use as well. Nice rollover preview. Good image choices as well. The campus photo does a good job of showing off the college. And those instructor photos ...

I'd be tempted to "sketch up" your TMCC logo to make it look a little more hand drawn to go with your theme. Rather than crunching your pens and erasers at the bottom of you mobile layout, I think they'd look better if you just centered them and let the bottom bar collapse around them.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kpargs

Post by kpargs »

Hi Meghan, Im really into design two. It's clever, I would definitely keep playing with that one.
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

I am leaning towards your second design, I am digging the deco sections and the script font you chose, the UI is a little confusing for me with the burger menu at the bottom and nav at the bottom unless it is planned to be a fixed image? Other than that possibly playing with the fonts moving forward and their placement/effects to get a separation from the colored blocks just to show the user what's what. Great star, looking forward to the final product.
James P. Cowan

Ericha Eberhart

Post by Ericha Eberhart »

Hi! I like your first design, it's so fun but well organized and your type is working well with all of the elements. I think I would add some imagery to make the page more GRC-centered. Right now I'm getting TMCC website vibes but not GRC program website vibes. Nice start!
-Ericha Eberhart :D

James Hill

Post by James Hill »

Hello Megan,
Great designs, both of them are very fun to look at. I think you should go with design one, make the headlines and subheads bigger. I like the whiteboard and cant wait to see how it looks in the final if you go with it. Wonderful job.