project_4_prelim_jcowan

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Fatkid53

project_4_prelim_jcowan

Post by Fatkid53 »

Wow, what a daunting task on such an information dense page. I started with the base prelim, deciding that the process required pairing down the pages to 6 pages with a 5 button nav. Then I was surprised that the general TMCC space did not really provide examples of student work so I organized things around that as a landing page with the nav linking all pages together as a universal resource. I came up with a minimalist design and a more aesthetic based design. Please let me know what you think moving forward.

Thumbnails
thumbnail_1.png
thumbnail_2.png
Wireframe
grc175_GAMT_redesign_wireframe_jcowan-1.png
grc175_GAMT_redesign_wireframe_jcowan-1.png (1.91 MiB) Viewed 936 times
Design 1
student_work_minimalist_gamt_redesign_jcowan.png
student_work_minimalist_gamt_redesign_jcowan_mobile.png
faculty_work_minimalist_gamt_redesign_jcowan.png
faculty_work_minimalist_gamt_redesign_jcowan_mobile.png
Design2
faculty_gamt_page_jcowan.png
faculty_work_gamt_page_jcowan_mobile.png
student_work_gamt_page_jcowan copy.png
student_work_gamt_page_jcowan_mobile_1.png
James P. Cowan

Cole_Richards

Re: project_4_prelim_jcowan

Post by Cole_Richards »

I really like these designs! I think the first is strongest, but you could add some of the elements from 2 to the first, maybe the color? Great job!
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Thanks for the insight into your creative process, James. These are always fascinating to me.

I'm all about that Design 1, myself. I really like the use of contrast throughout. It's so strong and does a great job of illuminating important content. Everything stands out and works well. That rotated TMCC seal in particular is a very strong textural element that really adds quite a bit of visual interest. I love the way you frame your content with your header and footer as top and bottom bars, locking everything else in. I like your typeface choice as well, it's just different enough to be visually interesting without sacrificing legibility. Your navigation is easy to see and use. I love the instructor bios, too. There are some days when I would like to wrapped an a towel to bark at passersby.

I'd add a bit more color to the design though maybe a little splash of TMCC's awful green or something. Right now it's a little too film noir. I think you can make the footer shallower by extending your information across in multiple columns. I don't know that the drop shadows are strictly necessary either. I think if you dial up the opacity of the container box a little, you should be able to obscure enough detail not to interfere with your content.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Mike_Chavez123

Post by Mike_Chavez123 »

That some blue prints to the Krabby Patty formula! Way to go!

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi James!

First off, great work on your thumbnails and site map - definitely using your preliminary ground work as guidance/inspiration to help shape mine. As for you layouts, both are very different from one another which is awesome cause they are two very stark contrasting directions of which you can go with your final layout/build. Personally, just because I am more of a fan of color (at least in regards to doing a website for the graphics dept.) I feel your concept 2 is more fitting. However, I do love the sleekness of your first concept and the overall layout has more breathability it feels (perhaps that could be partially also be due to the simple contrasting solid background as opposed to the sierra, Tahoe imagery of concept 2?) Anyways if there was a way you could combine the colorful brightness of your option 2 but into the layout of your first concept, I feel you have something pretty awesome to carry out for your final project.

Either way though, once again, excellent job on these and bravo on your site map. Super easy to follow, understand and see your thought process of how you envision the site working. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you choose to go with and bring to life! :)

Best,
Zach

kpargs

Post by kpargs »

Hi, I like the contrast of concept 1. Also I love dogs...but the text pops more in your first design.
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

I think you should go with the first design. Not cause the dogs are funny, and I love it, but because the colors contrast so well together.
For the background picture and top symbol, you should use the tmcc-related things to relate to tmcc but not through imagery rather than color cause I would hate to destroy the contrast and feel that the design is going for with its colors already.
Samantha Thomas

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

Instructor wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:28 pm Thanks for the insight into your creative process, James. These are always fascinating to me.

I'm all about that Design 1, myself. I really like the use of contrast throughout. It's so strong and does a great job of illuminating important content. Everything stands out and works well. That rotated TMCC seal in particular is a very strong textural element that really adds quite a bit of visual interest. I love the way you frame your content with your header and footer as top and bottom bars, locking everything else in. I like your typeface choice as well, it's just different enough to be visually interesting without sacrificing legibility. Your navigation is easy to see and use. I love the instructor bios, too. There are some days when I would like to wrapped an a towel to bark at passersby.

I'd add a bit more color to the design though maybe a little splash of TMCC's awful green or something. Right now it's a little too film noir. I think you can make the footer shallower by extending your information across in multiple columns. I don't know that the drop shadows are strictly necessary either. I think if you dial up the opacity of the container box a little, you should be able to obscure enough detail not to interfere with your content.

Good work!
Dammit I thought I took the drop shadow off the header, oops. And the typos will be gone after my roughs turn into full grown non-wooden website. TTFN.
James P. Cowan

Ericha Eberhart

Post by Ericha Eberhart »

Hi! I like your first design, the black and white could make a great foundation for some colorful graphic design imagery. I do feel like it is missing a graphic design program feeling though... not sure what I would do to help that. Good start!
-Ericha Eberhart :D

James Hill

Post by James Hill »

Hello James
Great job on this preliminary your whole plan is crazy. I think your best design of the two is your first concept, I like the black and white color scheme, and the over all layout. I think the font on the mobile layout is a bit to big for body. Overall wonderful job.