project04_roughs

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Mike_Chavez123

project04_roughs

Post by Mike_Chavez123 »

My project 04 rough designs.
Attachments
mobile01
mobile01
mobile02
mobile02
mobile03
mobile03
mobile04
mobile04
desktop01
desktop01
desktop02
desktop02
desktop03
desktop03
desktop04
desktop04

Cole_Richards

Re: project04_roughs

Post by Cole_Richards »

Hi Mike! i really like your roughs, I think your strongest design is the first, only thing is I would recommend less colorful imagery, or lower the opacity, there are some visibility issues, also there are tmcc logos with no background available for download, here's the link https://tmcc.photoshelter.com/galleries ... Background
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi Mike!

One thing I always love about your work is you're never afraid to take risks and be bold with your imagery, colors and design aesthetics. I always look forward to seeing what fun, out of the box ideas you're going to come up with.

I will say though that many of these concepts (which props btw for doing more than the required two) are really hard to read/discern with the imagery being so loud in the background. While I do agree with Cole that your strongest layout, at least for desktop is option 1, I feel overall your strongest layout across all of them is your last colorful option with the camera lens photography image. Whilst it could use some work in regards to the navigation (adding more buttons to more pages pertaining to GAMT) I feel your balance of color and photography here is the most even. I feel those colors work beautifully in the background and have that main hero image looks really good. I would totally encourage you to bring that to a desktop format so there's continuity between the two platforms and then play with some different type/font options for your nav and content. Although I can read the black text right now, I feel it would be easier to read with either buttons or boxes put behind them OR perhaps using white font? However you got to be careful with really colorful backgrounds and text because in one area it can be easier to read but as soon as you scroll and that text goes against another color, it can become very hard to read so I would strongly consider text boxes/button boxes (be very mindful of spacing though so boxes don't fill up the whole page where you can no longer see the background).

As always, fantastic effort and keep playing with stuff. Good luck on the final build :)

Best,
Zach

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

I love these concepts that you got. They are all so unique and exciting in their ways. Though for these preliminary, I will say be mindful of readability for your final. Some of the pictures and the colors of the words blend in too much with the background, so it's hard to read correctly. If I had to pick my favorite out of these that I think you should pursue, it's the geometric multi-colored one. It adds a bit of curiosity and lots of colors to give it a sense of life and creativity, which I love.
Samantha Thomas

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh those first designs are pretty cool, Mike.

Those psychedelic backgrounds were an inspired choice. I love the way they twist and turn and lead the eye through the content. I also like your choice of non-background imagery as well. It's both illustrative and evocative. You're using an old web designers trick here, Mike. You take a relatively simple layout and you put really dynamic images into it and let them do most of the heavy lifting. Except for one overlap, you have pretty good margins and padding throughout. One of the real pleasant surprises of this thing is how well the sans-serif type looks. I did not expect that.

I think your type could use either an outer glow or a drop shadow to pop it off the psychedelic background. Some bits of the characters get lost in the swirling patterns. I'd also recommend using a bolder type face for your headlines and navigations. The current weight is fine for bodycopy. I'm not sure I care for how the navigation overlaps the logo on your Art page.

Not bad!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kpargs

Post by kpargs »

Hi Mike I'm drawn to mobile 2, I would play with the logo a bit if I decided to keep going with that one, but all of these are very colorful and artsy.
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

I am diggin' all your designs but I am specifically to mobile 3 and desktop 2. I like the great use of imagery and color and I like that you went all out without including elements of the original site. The UI is a little confusing and the actual text gets lost a bit but I'm sure you have noticed that. I would tinker with the fonts so they don't get lost in the imagery and I would strive to make the text overpower the imagery as opposed to the other way around. Greta start, I look forward to seeing the ultimate/final design.
James P. Cowan

Ericha Eberhart

Post by Ericha Eberhart »

Hi! I like your first designs, they have a very artsy feeling. I think the structure can use a little help and the type can be smaller but you have a nice theme going!
-Ericha Eberhart :D

James Hill

Post by James Hill »

Hello Mike,
These are very interesting designs. The first concept is hard to read and bright on the eyes. Your mobile designs do work better then your web designs. keep up the work.

Elle Barre

Post by Elle Barre »

You know, in most designs, it's key how readable the headlines and copy are, how they're organized, if they're correct in grammar and syntax, if it makes sense, like, if it did not have any photographs or shapes or other organizing principle, does it work? If your examples here did not have any imagery, well, no, most of these pages each as its whole are a miss, but I do assume you couldn't get your text to appear at all the way you wanted due to html tomfoolery. But, on what's actually here, I stand by myself: nothing really "working" in the design dept. :- ) But, the imagery, the choices in art, the stuff I presume you created in some way, is genius. Genius. Every single page, gorgeous, compelling, arresting, challenging: "If you want to look at this, you have to look at these words, too." Yes, okay. I want to look at these enchanting images. They're ALL amazing beyond words. I hope you don't trivialize your art and your artistic choices with pedestrian headlines and copy. Whatever you do put on top of these visuals, make it really simple, lightweight, complementary in a just a different tint way, not 'striking contrast' or 'attention-grabbing' font. This is a real treat, to look at this art. Thank you. Who is this? Oh, Mike Chavez: wow, I'm a fan. Keep doing what you do. It's fabulous.
~ Elle Barre