ℙ𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕞𝟘𝟛

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Lucky_Penny

ℙ𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕞𝟘𝟛

Post by Lucky_Penny »

Hello, hello
My, my, my, what have we here?

If you guessed a prelim for project 03 well you're right! Anyway, let's get to business my website- https://www.pottymouthsisters.com/
I know very glamorous, and if you didn't click the link it's a shop for natural personal care products like soaps, serums, etc. Now while is not so terrible it is not exactly what I would look for in a shopping site. Researching other shops like this and the competition is fierce, the most popular ones are listed below.

https://www.mountainmadnesssoap.com/
https://fallsriversoap.com/
https://www.lushusa.com/
https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

So with that inspiration in my mind, I formatted two different page layouts. It wasn't easy considering I'm not a huge online shopper but I think the hard part as deciding colors and theme. For most soap shops have a demographic, women being most popular in this industry. So for something called Potty Mouth Sisters to appeal to a female demographic was difficult, to say the least. At first, I was going the whole nun aspect that they have a " wash your mouth out with soap" deal. not easy. I caved and just tried to make it look generic as possible.
PMS-web01.png
PMS-web01.png (3.37 MiB) Viewed 490 times
PMS-web02.png
PMS-web02.png (3.95 MiB) Viewed 490 times
PMS-web03.png
PMS-web03.png (3.33 MiB) Viewed 490 times
PMS-web04.png
PMS-web04.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 490 times
So I need all the help I can get- do I preserve the strict nun theme or go generic? :?: :shock:
𝐿𝒾𝓋₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

Cole_Richards

Re: ℙ𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕞𝟘𝟛

Post by Cole_Richards »

Hi, I really like your designs, they are really well made, the layouts are fantastically done, I prefer the first one, the use of color and the font is really nice, that font is really cool! The use of pictures in the layout is also very well done. Looking forward to what comes of these!
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

Elle Barre

Post by Elle Barre »

Wow, you found the beauty in that website... what a magnificent interpretation ... judging by those actual sisters' portraits, they don't really concern themselves with presentation, but, if they could see how you see their website, I bet they'd both be dazzled by themselves and give each other raises. The only thing I would change is the drop shadow behind the words "we put your needs first" and in the "About Us" section, it hits me as 'blurry,' while every other word is crisp edged. Really nice switcheroo for this --can barely even call the original a website... you made it beautiful, clear, sensible, pictorial.
~ Elle Barre

kpargs

Post by kpargs »

Hi,
I love how clean you're prelimmy's look. I personally would definitely try to incorporate the strict nun vibe in with your designs, the dichotomy of nuns and CBD products make me emotionally invested in the product, I think it ties it all together for the potty mouth sisters. I cant wait to see what you do
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

Nicely done, I really like the first layout with the earth tone color scheme and the grid layout. The grid layout gives it a great way to add products with clean scalability. The only thing I think I might alter is the captions on the products themselves, perhaps a figcaption type element could provide for an even cleaner look, along with the item captions maybe a bit of effect to liven up the list of products on the left. Awesome start and such a huge improvement to the previous site.
James P. Cowan

lilykmitch

Post by lilykmitch »

Hi Olivia
You made that website soo much better! I really love the first one the color pallette it looks so good! The layout of that one really works too and i think what you did with the overall theme is really great! awesome job!
Lily Mitchell :geek:

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

Hey Olivia
Both of these designs could work as they are remarkably better than the old one. However, I would go with the second one simply because it still has the same color pallet as the original website, Thus having it give off the same mood as what was initially intended color-wise. For the paragraph, though, explaining the website is hard to read. The shadow in the background makes it easier, but it's still hard to read, so I recommended changing the color or making the background lighter, making it easier to read.
The first one is also nice as it gives off a bar of soap fragrance mood to it, making it also a viable option and ultimately depends on which one you end up doing.
Samantha Thomas

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi Olivia!

Wow - nice job on both of these sets of redesigns! I honestly have a hard time deciding which one I like better as I LOVE both of your color schemes. Ultimately though I think I gotta go with your first options though as those stone, beige, earthy tones work so well with the theme of the website being beauty (the blue also works well though but just as my personal preference when it comes to a beauty website). I favorite part of both of your redesigns is the navigation bar at the top where you have the logo, the search bar and the username/cart access icons. VERY CLEAN AND PROFESSIONAL looking with great spacing amongst all the components. Also major props to your logo designs for both sites. Excellent designs for both but yet again, that earth tone with that rounded sigil logo just *chefs kiss!

If you go with option 1, the things I would improve (or really expand upon because most of what you have is really well executed) would mainly be in the catalogue section. Granted these are first draft mockups so this would've taken you forever but to show more of how the final site would look, I would have the title of the product along with the pricing down below it along with maybe a button to add to cart and/or a more info button that would take the user to a product specific page. That'll be a lot of info to fit just within the designated parameters for these mockups but just have the second or third row of product start cutting up at the bottom to show that the page will be scrollable.

Also last compliment - fantastic placement of the address/phone info at the bottom of the site as well as the main home page image. Gorgeous! Awesome work and cant wait to see this evolve! :)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Olivia bringin' the fancy fonts in her post title again!

Potty Mouth Sisters is a great business name! And they sell soap. Adorable! I would have liked to have seen mobile versions of each though.

I like your first design, myself. The colors and texture remind me of a little paper bag full of soap. Great photo selection, BTW. The do a good job of telling a story and showing the product off. I'm not sure I'd know a company called "Potty Mouth Sisters" sold soap unless I saw the pics with my own eyes. Your call to action pic on the homepage stands out in particular for the story it tells. Your paper bag colors provide such a warm and welcoming environment, which fits with the candle theme. They're neutral enough that they provide a great backdrop for the colorful candle photos. Good contrast on 'em as well. I especially like how the header and footer frame the composition. Your fonts are well chosen too. A very legible sans-serif that is somehow not too cold for the material.

Make sure your product photos on the home page are equally distant from the titles above them. Some look close than others. I'm not sure the type in the call to action photo at the top of the home page needs that drop shadow. The "Home" button on the home page seems a little close to the left edge, Make sure it's left margin is the same as your call to action button and call out type in the call to action banner. I think that would create a nice little alignment.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

squidgola33

Post by squidgola33 »

I am a big fan of your second design layout I feel like it better visualizes the products on the page. the way your menu at the top looks with the image of the lavender is immaculate. I really like the look of both. It reminds me of a professional bath and body works page. and I like how the page is not overwhelming. you have a lot of products to display but the page doesn't feel overcrowded.