Project03Roughs!!

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project03Roughs!!

Post by Instructor »

Four designs! Impressive. Looks like mostly home pages though, no inner pages. Too bad.

I like the third of them best. That big juicy slider really catches my eye and my stomach! I like the geometry of it all. Really adds a lot of visual interest and moves the eye around the composition. The orange in the corner plays well with the sliders and the red in your title type. And those sliders! What a well selected image. I really shouldn't do these critiques on an empty stomach. It looks great and is a fantastic homepage image because it literally and figuratively whets the appetite and encourages visitors to explore further into the website and come and visit the bar. Your conceit that this whole page is really a handwritten order form is a fun idea too. I like the way the secondary nav/order form swings around the design in the transition from computer to mobile. Your sans-serif text makes for good bodycopy and the writing script on the order form looks good and is somehow still legible.

I'd recommend bringing in some sportsball stuff into the third design to show off it's a sports bar. You have a lot of room to play in the white space. Maybe make the orange shape in the top right side could be amde into a nice golden brown birchwood baseball bat (the color's about the same). The red on your bodycopy clashes with the rest of the design. I'd recommend doing it in black, and keep the title red. I'd like to see it fleshed out with a little more content.

Not bad!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

squidgola33

Post by squidgola33 »

I really think you can best expand on your third concept, I like the subtle humor in the information about the burger, I'm not Sure if to the right you are going to be listing ingredients but I feel if you're going for a comedic kind of theme you could put lettuce or something as an ingredient and have a little side note saying,"rabbit food" or something instead of it being so in your face. there is also a lot of white and blank space in this design. some blocks of matching red color or some impede lines would really bring this thing together.

James Hill

Post by James Hill »

Hello,
I like your designs your third is my personal favorite. Though the second one works good too. I like your mobile design more than web design.
Good Job.

Megan Greaves

Post by Megan Greaves »

Yeesh, yeah, that's a tough website to work with. But I think between your concepts there is something very cool. :D

The blackboard and the chalk text on it is very cool. I think you can use that for something, but that picture of the burger in the corner like that, giving an interesting asymmetrical element, is a sound choice. I think there are parts of each of these designs that you can combine together to create a sort of classic American burger place sort of vibe. Definitely will need the "sports" aspect of the "sports bar". If you design the menu page it would be cool if you made it look like an actual physical menu. Interesting start!

Meghna_Misson

Post by Meghna_Misson »

Hey Tyler,
I really like the first and third designs the best! The first redesign really connects to the original website's theme centered on baseball and sports with that background image, and due to it being a bit darker, it brings all of my attention towards the center where the logo will be--great layout and direction! However, I think the mobile design needs to be improved on to retain its minimal look as the home page (computer-sized) design. For the third design, I enjoy the negative space established, and how the cheeseburger is the first thing that the user sees--and how they will view the name "Tommy's" next, connecting the burger to the name of the site to understand that its a restaurant--again, great direction and communication to the viewer! For improvement, I think you can bring down the name, tagline, and body text down just a bit more to rest between the burger image and the orange slice on the top right to make the entire layout better balanced out. But other than that, these are really strong designs!
Meghna Misson - student

Ericha Eberhart

Post by Ericha Eberhart »

Hi Tyler!
I like your first layout, the information plays well with the background image and the idea of the logo is *chefs kiss*. Maybe if the home, menu, and activities buttons were on the right side of the bat they would stand out better on the wood grain. Nice Start!
-Ericha Eberhart :D

Mike_Chavez123

Post by Mike_Chavez123 »

My mother always said if you have nothing good to say than don’t anything at all! The colors are brilliant!