prelimmy number 3

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
kpargs

prelimmy number 3

Post by kpargs »

Hello everyone,
So I chose to redesign one of the oldest websites out there, itcorp.com, from 1986, which I'm four years older than, just saying...I wanted to keep it customer unfriendly and retro, I have a lot more writing to do for this one, but here are two possible ways to bring an old surley website into 2022.

the original
Screenshot (25).png
first idea...

Screenshot (28).png
bad-mobile-redesign.jpg
inner-mobile.jpg
inner-page.jpg
second idea
Screenshot (27).png
02-web-phone.jpg
02-web-phone-innerfill.jpg
Aloha --------------Kirsten Pargas

Cole_Richards

Re: prelimmy number 3

Post by Cole_Richards »

Hi Kirsten, these are really nicely done. I think the 3rd design is the best, the use of that background image is really well done, and the text fits really well. I might change the opacity of the background image so the text pops more or change the color of the text. Otherwise these are really cool!
Cole Richards (Betes Boy)

mck775

Post by mck775 »

Hello! I love your designs! Specifically your second idea. It has a very simplistic in composition and elements. I like the colors and your placement of the nav against the background. I also think that the font is a perfect fit, with the colors and text it gives me early Apple vibes. Well done!

Fatkid53

Post by Fatkid53 »

I would lean towards the second design. It is simple and well organized. The only thing I would change is possibly creating som separation between the nav and the background. Possibly a tint on the graphics to create a bit more contrast with the font color. Cool retro designs though I dig the precise simplicity of it for sure.
James P. Cowan

Elle Barre

Post by Elle Barre »

I really like the Cit Corp logo thing you made. That is really cool. Memorable. Amazing designs from nothing. My fave is the ribbons/highway. It evokes a visceral reaction with its implied motion. The colors are kind of bland individually, but together in the ribbons, they work, while taking nothing away from the lines. It would look great in black and white, or greyscale, as well. All three of the looks convey a different vibe, give the owner some great choices: Are we a chic Melrose Avenue clothing shop? Are we the IRS? Are we a progressive cyber outfit? Fun variations! Great work!
~ Elle Barre

Samantha_Thomas

Post by Samantha_Thomas »

I think your first design is a good one for this website.
It's an old website and certainly needs a redesign, and I feel like the black and white still holds onto the old classical feeling but gives it a facelift.
It is a nice old retro feeling mixed with modern-day design. Plus, your logo in the center is added onto it, giving it a completed look.
Samantha Thomas

lilykmitch

Post by lilykmitch »

Hi Kirsten
I love the colors in the second concept you have. I think it makes it a lot more interesting and the layout is super clean too. I think that ones definitely a winner
Lily Mitchell :geek:

zandrews

Post by zandrews »

Hi Kirsten!

Yikes - did you website ever need a redesign - I mean did they ever need just a design period haha! Great choice but man what a shame to not let this live as is in infamy lol!

Without a doubt though, my vote goes to your second set. That pop of color against the gray background really gave the site some life where as your first set, although I like the logo design, the plain white gray scale just felt a little flat. Speaking of which, that way you have the color stripes comign down and out really gives dimension to your second set as well so you have multiple things going for it in comparison to set 1. Honestly what I would do is bring over your logo from set one into set two and give it a pop of color as well - I think itll go great with that gray background and the stripes! Btw great font selection on set two and I don't mean to keep talking about the color but that gray with those muted pops of color and the motion of the strips coming out screams technology to me.

Although I am usually more polite in telling which option to go with - I STRONGLY VOTE OPTION 2 with your option 1 logo haha! Great start here and keep up the great work! :)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You've certainly made quite a challenge for yourself here, haven't you, Kirsten? This is much more a scratchbuild than a redesign since this is a simple domain camping page. I love it's bitter tone.

I'm all about that second design. I think it's the pseudo-Atari logo background that pinches my little 80s-child aorta. It's got that Omni magazine cover look going on.

I love that swoop. It flows down like a waterfall and moves the eye with it. Great depth too. Your second design looks 3D. And the placement of the company name/page title is perfect. Right at the crook of the swoop where your eye settles. I like your choice in colors. They add a splash of modernity in an 80's throwback design. Everything is well placed. There's not much there there, but what there is you work well with. You have good margins without having everything fragment. The layout itself is very simple. That horizontal line is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. It's about the only way we can tell where the separation from navigation to content is.

I'd recommend doing your bodycopy in a sans-serif. That would be more fitting for a tech company anyway. Maybe fade that background ever so slightly to make the type a little more legible. Or amke the background much more vivid and the type and accent lines white to pop them out against said background.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

James Hill

Post by James Hill »

Hi,
I like the second set of designs the most. I really like the mobile of the 2. Its pretty simple so not much to say. Good job.